2023-24 Portal Options | Page 98 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

If you asked me what schools would be the worst possible fits for Jesse and Joe based on their skill sets, I would have said West Virginia and Clemson, respectively.

I will be fascinated to see how Jesse adjusts to the Huggy system. Same with Joe if he goes to the Tigers.
I agree. Defensively I don't see how either fit.

If you asked me what schools would be the worst possible fits for Jesse and Joe based on their skill sets, I would have said West Virginia and Clemson, respectively.

I will be fascinated to see how Jesse adjusts to the Huggy system. Same with Joe if he goes to the Tigers.

I’ll be very glad when the Covid bonus years are all gone.

Jesse & Joe did their 4 years at Cuse, and normally would have ridden off into the sunset of whatever the future held for them, with their Orange pedigree secured.

Now - we have to watch them play for some other P5 school, and possibly one we may play against.

Just feels wrong.

Joe (to his credit) at least did it the right way, and we wish him well
(unless he’s playing against us) and hope he finds a great fit.

Not so much for Jesse.
WVU can’t lose badly or often enough this next season.

Just as I was getting excited about a Judah/JJ/Chance/Benny/Dickinson or Cisse lineup, I'm coming back down to Earth and realizing we're more likely going to be Chance/JJ/Bell/Benny/Mcleod or his equivalent. Those are two very different lineups - the former could be elite. A dominant big would change things but there's not many available so I expect we'll end up with a downgrade at that position. Given the distinct chance we don't get an elite big and Judah really might leave, do we think Red will pick up a true PG or a stud wing? I think he gets another guard, and he indicated as much recently, but that could be 1-3. I guess what I said before still stands -- just get the best player available. There's flexibility with our lineups.
Did I miss Judah's press release saying he was staying in the draft? He is not gone yet and the offseason is not even close to over.

I liked the Estrada option if Judah stays in the draft (I hate Alabama, btw). But Jaden Bradley is still out there, and he grew up in Rochester. Plus I could definitely see Judah coming back to Cuse and not staying in the draft. Hopefully the combine will clear things up with Judah.

I liked the Estrada option if Judah stays in the draft (I hate Alabama, btw). But Jaden Bradley is still out there, and he grew up in Rochester. Plus I could definitely see Judah coming back to Cuse and not staying in the draft. Hopefully the combine will clear things up with Judah.
I’m not sure Bradley waits around that long though.

I’d love for us to take a look here. There are some pretty serious injury concerns here though and it sounds like he might not be ready at the start of the season. Could be a high upside gamble and we’ll have some scholarships available it seems.

Couple little nuggets-

With Mccleod- very good student and well liked as a teammate- is very big into community involvement- Quadir and Chance follow on IG.

On Brown Ferguson- no cuse overlap I could find on socials.

Kinda wild how much Red and team have everything on lockdown in terms of big man focus.

Couple little nuggets-

With Mccleod- very good student and well liked as a teammate- is very big into community involvement- Quadir and Chance follow on IG.

On Brown Ferguson- no cuse overlap I could find on socials.

Kinda wild how much Red and team have everything on lockdown in terms of big man focus.
McLeod is from just north of Philly. I bet he, Quadir and Chance have been playing together in high level hoops competitions for years.

The best game of his college career was against Syracuse. He had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks against us last season. Most of those points. maybe all of them, were lob passes thrown up near the basket that he dunked. Hard. He was a key player for them and made it hard for Syracuse to get a win that day.

McLeod is from just north of Philly. I bet he, Quadir and Chance have been playing together in high level hoops competitions for years.

The best game of his college career was against Syracuse. He had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks against us last season. Most of those points. maybe all of them, were lob passes thrown up near the basket that he dunked. Hard. He was a key player for them and made it hard for Syracuse to get a win that day.

Yep.. I was just sharing a couple nuggets given its radio silence. Mccleod to me would seem a fringe option (hopefully). Once we adjusted he was pretty much neutralized.

Will be curious if we see movement this week or not... especially with the swirl around HD having absolutely crazy numbers NIL wise.

Weakest position on the entire floor for us. Makes sense.

In today's version of hoops many teams, possibly us too maybe really only play one true forward most of the time unless the other forward is a big. 3 guards/wings is much more common. The traditional lineup is something we are used to but need to realize Red may not play that way.

Which is a mistake

We need another big and another guard. There is no room unless you push someone out. If we play 3 guards why do we need another forward? Makes no sense. This isn't likely to be JBs CFFGG basketball. Also you want another forward without pushing someone out? Good luck making that case to a kid.

We need another big and another guard. There is no room unless you push someone out. If we play 3 guards why do we need another forward? Makes no sense. This isn't likely to be JBs CFFGG basketball. Also you want another forward without pushing someone out? Good luck making that case to a kid.
I don’t think we need another guard, even with Judah potentially staying in the draft. Bell, Taylor are basically shooting guards. Q is your backup PG. Unless the staff thinks Peter Carey is going to have a breakout year, we’re only rolling with Benny and Brown at forward. Adding another forward gives you some insurance if you can’t land a solid center.

It seems that Red is building a three guard offense and going to aggressive m2m defense. I’m all for it, but I’d still love to see some beef down low.

I'd say that the center position is much weaker.
There’s that, too, but then you’re essentially saying that 60% of the roster is a train wreck right now.

I get it, I do, but this team wasn't good last season for several reasons, including the current forwards, and so far 2 of the top 3 scorers are gone and a 3rd has a foot out the door. This is supposed to big time college basketball. This was always going to be an issue with going in-house for the HC.

I get it, I do, but this team wasn't good last season for several reasons, including the current forwards, and so far 2 of the top 3 scorers are gone and a 3rd has a foot out the door. This is supposed to big time college basketball. This was always going to be an issue with going in-house for the HC.

The lack of success works both directions on this issue. I think you have to give the returning forwards a shot. This year is it their opportunity. They played a style that really almost no one wants to play. I don't see the harm so long as the roster is filled out with more talent properly. If guys step up then great. If not- 24-25 gotta figure big turnover at forward.

Yup, also who the heck is going to get a rebound on this team?