2023 NY Mets thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Keep in mind that 11 of Mark's 13HR have come off of right-handed pitching, so he wouldn't have to platoon if they used him as a DH.
Yes, he was a very good player last year and has become a great one, at least at the AAA level, this year.

My hope is that now that he is called up, the Mets commit to him. Play him every day. Same thing with Baty and Alvarez.

If you are going to call a really promising young player up, give them every chance to succeed. Francisco is a little different playing catcher. He needs to rest every 4th or 5th game but should play the vast majority of the time.

I think I saw Narvaez is expected to start a rehab assignment in the minor next week. We could really use him at the MLB level, especially now that we have lost Louie's left handed bat off the bench. When Nido comes off the IL, it doesn't look good for him to return to the Mets.

Tonight's lineup is nonsensical. They said Vientos has deficiencies at defense but play him at the hot corner instead of DH. Bench Baty and then have Escobar in the lineup batting second against an opener.

Mets… brutal. Verlander as a “stopper”, what a joke. Enough already… fire Eppler and bring up the kids, if you are going to stink at least get some development time out of it.

Time to trade Verlander, Max, Marte, Robertson, Canha, Voglebach, and DFA Escobar.

Let's keep Senga. Vientos, too. And Alvarez. And Pete.

Last edited:
Tonight's lineup is nonsensical. They said Vientos has deficiencies at defense but play him at the hot corner instead of DH. Bench Baty and then have Escobar in the lineup batting second against an opener.

Vientos with a two run shot to center.
Buck getting ripped on Twitter… what did he do

Also why Showalter is getting ripped. You can't play someone who doesn't swing. DFA Vogelbach.

One thing Francisco and Pete, (and, I guess, Mark) have in common: if they get all of it, you don't have to wonder.

Last year's team laughed at deficits. This team looked like last year's tonight.

Last edited:
Tonight had some energy for a change. Youth matters. Find a way to get Ronny up here too. Pitching is still an issue but the kids bring some power.

going from 1 HR threat to 4-5-6 is a big deal. Have to get Lindor going again.

Pete is struggling but still on pace for like 50/125.

How long can they ride Marte now with the way he is going.

Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Baty 3B
Alverez C
Maurice LF
McNeil 2B
Canha/Marte RF?

That becomes a deep lineup just because the threat of power is all over.

Escobar/PHam Bench

Buck mentioning Baty can play some left after the game is good as well.

pretty crazy that the mets are the only team in 50 yrs to hit 3 HRs in the 7th or later to come back from 2 r deficits on all 3..

Tonight had some energy for a change. Youth matters. Find a way to get Ronny up here too. Pitching is still an issue but the kids bring some power.
I don't think they can fix the pitching this year so they might as well let the kids get their lumps out of the way from a hitting perspective. I do wonder if Buck is the right manager for this team... while the decision to pinch hit Voglebach instead of Baty is mind boggling, I'm more concerned as to why Baty is riding the bench ever when he can DH or play 3rd or outfield and your DH, two of your outfielders and your 3rd baseman all look like they are over the hill in a big way? Buck and Eppler need to get on the same page as two what the goal of this season is... it's no longer World Series or bust, the new window is probably but 2 years from now when there is some pitching depth.

going from 1 HR threat to 4-5-6 is a big deal. Have to get Lindor going again.

Pete is struggling but still on pace for like 50/125.

How long can they ride Marte now with the way he is going.

Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Pete 1B
Vientos DH
Baty 3B
Alverez C
Maurice LF
McNeil 2B
Canha/Marte RF?

That becomes a deep lineup just because the threat of power is all over.

Escobar/PHam Bench

Buck mentioning Baty can play some left after the game is good as well.
I don't think Mauricio has ever played the OF, at least in a pro game. He was only started playing 2B a couple of weeks ago.

Long term, I think OF might be his best position and I wish he was playing there for Syracuse, but the Mets have him playing 2B.

Anyway, you could have the same lineup except flop McNeil and Mauricio.

Canha has a horrible arm. Barely serviceable in LF. It would be bad if he tried to play RF.

Mauricio has a really strong arm. He might be the answer in RF in a year or two.

That was a crazy game last night.

Senga was absolutely terrific. Just dominating out there. That was great to see.

All the relief pitchers struggled. All of them. Worried Buck broke Robertson when he pitched him more than an inning.

Buck made a couple strange decisions.

Why pitch Ottavino when he had pitched him the day before (in a meaningless game that was already lost)? I think everyone knows Adam can't pitch effectively two days in a row.

Why pinch hit Vogelbach when Baty was available? Vogelbach has been really bad in the clutch and his inability to hit lefties leaves you exposed if the Rays bring one in. Which they of course did.

Also unhappy with how the Rays are running wild this series. They are getting steals almost immediately every time they get someone on base. Alvarez has a great arm. Give him a chance by calling a pitchout every now and then.

The pitchout makes it far more likely that Alvarex can throw someone out and more importantly, it gives Tampa Bay something to think about. Make them think twice about going for the steal so often.

You can't let them run like that all series long. What the hell is Buck thinking?

Lastly, wish he started Baty at 3B and Vientos at DH (no Pham). Baty is better defensively and a far better hitter than Pham, even against a lefty. Pham is not a good player. Don't play bad players, especially when they are struggling.

in what world is Vogelbach a good option? Also how can someone that big have such little power?

So far Vogelbach has struck out twice today fwiw.
I’ll bet he struck out looking both times. I can’t hit a major league pitch but I’ll gladly stand out there and look at the ball for half of what he’s getting paid and save Steve some money.

So now Canha is the DH off the bench over Vientos? I've been a big fan of Buck, but he needs to get his head out of his derrier.

Hey, we won! And finally won a series - over the Rays! The last series win was agaisnt the Dodgers. Maybe we should play the best teams all the time!

As to Vogelbach, he's hitting his lifetime batting average - .219.

Hey, we won! And finally won a series - over the Rays! The last series win was agaisnt the Dodgers. Maybe we should play the best teams all the time!

As to Vogelbach, he's hitting his lifetime batting average - .219.
Way to go Billy… between Ruff and Vogelbach and his unwillingness to promote Vientos and Baty, the dude has a great eye for hitters.