2023 NY Mets thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Where will they put him? Send Alvarez back down? Get rid of Nido? Platoon him with Vientos at DH?
He will replace Michael Perez as the second catcher for now. The contract Gary signed with the Mets had a clause that released him as a free agent if he was not called up to the big leagues by 5/19.

Narvaez and Nido will both be coming off the IL shortly. At that point, some hard decisions will need to be made. I hope the Mets realize the catching job is Alvarez’s for the next decade or two. I hope they realize Vientos is the DH for the hext decade. Would be really unhappy if they decide to retain Sanchez and give him a lot of at bats at the expense of the talented young guys.

A trade or two is likely coming. Turn one or two of these guys into a talented reliever or two.

Our starting pitching is atrocious but these kids are alright.

LGFM! It’s amazing how the lineup is suddenly deep and long with power all the way down to Álvarez. Next veteran who needs to sit is Canha.

But man let’s not talk about the pitching staff…

Another night, another remarkable victory. Polar Bear is hitting a clutch home run every game these days and the kids are all looking like they belong.

There are however concerns.

Carrasco got bombed and did not look good. But they pitched him on 4 days rest, which is not ideal for a guy pitching with a bad elbow.

The front end of the bullpen was bad again. Leone and Nogosek got bombed. Even Smith gave up 2 runs. Ottavino and Robertson got through unscathed, at least in part due to excellent Met defense. Robertson pitched for the 3rd day in a row, which is a recipe for getting a pitcher on the IL list.

Can’t blame Buck for putting Leone or Nogosek in. He has to put someone in and the bullpen has crappy depth, as we all knew going into the season. We didn’t know just how bad this rotation would be getting through the 7th inning of games, which makes this problem far worse. This is why I am hoping the Mets can convert the logjam of catchers into a good relief pitcher.

Lucchesi pitched 6 innings of shutout ball for the Syracuse Mets last night. The Mets really need to call him up and go with a 6 man rotation. Don’t understand why they can’t figure this out.

The rainout today is probably a good thing for the Mets. This gives Scherzer an extra day of rest. It also gives the Met bullpen a badly needed day of rest. Buck used Smith, Ottavino and Robertson last night and at the least, Ottavino and Robertson would not have been available to pitch today. I think with tomorrow being a doubleheader, the Mets get a chance to call another player up just for the day, which will help the bullpen as well. Josh Walker just got sent down. Promising lefty who throws hard but has had a lot of injuries that have held up his progress. Thinking he might be getting called back up.

The second game of the doubleheader, Verlander gets the start against Bieber. Should be a good old school pitcher’s duel.

Monday is a day off and then 3 games against the Cubs. The Met starters will be Senga, Megill and a TBD that will probably be Carrasco or Lucchesi. Probably Lucchesi. Hoping whoever does not start then starts Friday and then Scherzer and Verlander pitch over the weekend.

Would be happy to get a split tomorrow and then win 2 of 3 against the Cubbies. Then get 2 of 3 against the Rockies over next weekend. Gotta start winning series and getting the record well over .500 now.

Another night, another remarkable victory. Polar Bear is hitting a clutch home run every game these days and the kids are all looking like they belong.

There are however concerns.

Carrasco got bombed and did not look good. But they pitched him on 4 days rest, which is not ideal for a guy pitching with a bad elbow.

The front end of the bullpen was bad again. Leone and Nogosek got bombed. Even Smith gave up 2 runs. Ottavino and Robertson got through unscathed, at least in part due to excellent Met defense. Robertson pitched for the 3rd day in a row, which is a recipe for getting a pitcher on the IL list.

Can’t blame Buck for putting Leone or Nogosek in. He has to put someone in and the bullpen has crappy depth, as we all knew going into the season. We didn’t know just how bad this rotation would be getting through the 7th inning of games, which makes this problem far worse. This is why I am hoping the Mets can convert the logjam of catchers into a good relief pitcher.

Lucchesi pitched 6 innings of shutout ball for the Syracuse Mets last night. The Mets really need to call him up and go with a 6 man rotation. Don’t understand why they can’t figure this out.

The rainout today is probably a good thing for the Mets. This gives Scherzer an extra day of rest. It also gives the Met bullpen a badly needed day of rest. Buck used Smith, Ottavino and Robertson last night and at the least, Ottavino and Robertson would not have been available to pitch today. I think with tomorrow being a doubleheader, the Mets get a chance to call another player up just for the day, which will help the bullpen as well. Josh Walker just got sent down. Promising lefty who throws hard but has had a lot of injuries that have held up his progress. Thinking he might be getting called back up.

The second game of the doubleheader, Verlander gets the start against Bieber. Should be a good old school pitcher’s duel.

Monday is a day off and then 3 games against the Cubs. The Met starters will be Senga, Megill and a TBD that will probably be Carrasco or Lucchesi. Probably Lucchesi. Hoping whoever does not start then starts Friday and then Scherzer and Verlander pitch over the weekend.

Would be happy to get a split tomorrow and then win 2 of 3 against the Cubbies. Then get 2 of 3 against the Rockies over next weekend. Gotta start winning series and getting the record well over .500 now.

It's been an exciting week but there are 116 games left and how many wins like that can we expect to get?

Last edited:
Hey maybe we can pull the same trick the Braves did last year and go on a stupid long winning streak... don't even care how.. but let's make it happen.

Another improbable victory. Ottavino was really bad and Robertson gave up the big HR. Those two have pitched a ton and are definitely not pitching in the night cap. I doubt Raley is either.

So Verlander will start and the top 3 relief pitchers to finish are probably Hunter, Brigham and Smith. Nogosek and Leone could probably pitch as well.

Hope Verlander is able to go at least 7. The Guardians have their best pitching (Bieber) and runs will likely be hard to come by.

Another improbable victory. Ottavino was really bad and Robertson gave up the big HR. Those two have pitched a ton and are definitely not pitching in the night cap. I doubt Raley is either.

So Verlander will start and the top 3 relief pitchers to finish are probably Hunter, Brigham and Smith. Nogosek and Leone could probably pitch as well.

Hope Verlander is able to go at least 7. The Guardians have their best pitching (Bieber) and runs will likely be hard to come by.

Both Hall of Famers have pitched well, which is good news. But the bullpen, which had done yeoman work keeping the Mets in the race with their #1 guy out and the starters screwing the pooch, may be showing the sings of over use. It may be time to trade the lesser productive players for some help in that area.

This was the plan: Scherzer and Verlander and we get a double-header sweep! More, please...

Yep. Energy around the team has taken a 180 in the right direction. Good timing too. Hopefully they can keep this train rolling.

Five wins in a row. All by one run. I think all of them were comeback victories too, Gotta be getting close to a record on this streak,

In game one, Scherzer did not have his good fastball, only throwing it in the 90-91 range, But he went to curves instead and relied on those, changeups and sliders to get outs. He had to leave the game due to a callus splitting, Gotta be worried about him some but hopefully the problem was the callus (believe it was on his thumb).

In game two, Verlander was outstanding and looked every bit the Cy Young pitcher he has been in the past. He was throwing 95 mph in the eighth inning. Nasty slider. Raley pitched the ninth and did the job, highlighted by him making an outstanding play to get Kwan, who tried to bunt for a base hit to start the ninth, He is looking better since his time in Syracuse.

Speaking of Syracuse, Peterson started today and had a great game. 8 innInga pitched, 3 hits, 0 runs, 9 strikeouts. Good to see.

Tomorrow is an off day and then Senga, Megill and Carrasco against the Cubs. Believe we will then see Verlander, Scherzer and Senga against the Rockies, but maybe Lucchesi gets called up to pitch on Friday, so Verlander, Scherzer and Senga all get an extra day of rest (Senga would then pitch on Monday, though I think the Mets get it off).. Senga, Megill and Carrasco will get an extra day of rest this week, which I think is great news.

Five wins in a row. All by one run. I think all of them were comeback victories too, Gotta be getting close to a record on this streak,

In game one, Scherzer did not have his good fastball, only throwing it in the 90-91 range, But he went to curves instead and relied on those, changeups and sliders to get outs. He had to leave the game due to a callus splitting, Gotta be worried about him some but hopefully the problem was the callus (believe it was on his thumb).

In game two, Verlander was outstanding and looked every bit the Cy Young pitcher he has been in the past. He was throwing 95 mph in the eighth inning. Nasty slider. Raley pitched the ninth and did the job, highlighted by him making an outstanding play to get Kwan, who tried to bunt for a base hit to start the ninth, He is looking better since his time in Syracuse.

Speaking of Syracuse, Peterson started today and had a great game. 8 innInga pitched, 3 hits, 0 runs, 9 strikeouts. Good to see.

Tomorrow is an off day and then Senga, Megill and Carrasco against the Cubs. Believe we will then see Verlander, Scherzer and Senga against the Rockies, but maybe Lucchesi gets called up to pitch on Friday, so Verlander, Scherzer and Senga all get an extra day of rest (Senga would then pitch on Monday, though I think the Mets get it off).. Senga, Megill and Carrasco will get an extra day of rest this week, which I think is great news.

Hoping we can keep the momentum and then see what is out there heading into to the AS break.. so long as we aren't dealing prospects. If Mauricio can play OF.. and we can find another solid SP for Canha or Marte...

Hoping we can keep the momentum and then see what is out there heading into to the AS break.. so long as we aren't dealing prospects. If Mauricio can play OF.. and we can find another solid SP for Canha or Marte...

I like Marte. They can ship Canha, Vogelbach, one of the catchers, etc.

Listening to MLB radio this morning, they mentioned that the 2 run HR Marte hit that turned out to be the game winner in game one of the doubleheader was his first extra base hit in more than a month. I am not sure of this but it also might have been his first HR as a Met to the opposite field.

Strange things are afoot at CitiField...

Listening to MLB radio this morning, they mentioned that the 2 run HR Marte hit that turned out to be the game winner in game one of the doubleheader was his first extra base hit in more than a month. I am not sure of this but it also might have been his first HR as a Met to the opposite field.

Strange things are afoot at CitiField...

That's great. Now we need wins that aren't strange.

Hey maybe we can pull the same trick the Braves did last year and go on a stupid long winning streak... don't even care how.. but let's make it happen.
As long as we make the playoffs, we have a chance. Regular season hasn’t meant too much in most sports recently. Let’s get in and we have as good a chance as anyone.