2023 NY Mets thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

The good news: the Mets only gave up 2 runs. Verlander, (whom Gary Cohen called 'Joseph' at one point) had the Brewers shut out through the 5th. Ottavino, Raley and Roberston each pitched shut-out innings.

The bad news: Drew Smith came off suspension to give up a 2 run homer and scored one run off a pitcher with a 4.88 ERA. Buck came up with the "they're trying too hard" excuse.

The Mets were 10-7 in one-run games as of May 21st, having won four in four days. They are 0-7 since.

The Mets are 8.5 games out of the last wildcard spot. Even if they went on something like an 8-2 run(highly doubtful), they would probably still be like 5 games out with a plethora of teams above them. It’s unfortunate that it’s June and the season feels over. Hopefully Cohen doesn’t buy a rental at the deadline. Chalk it up to a lost season and regroup for next year.

This should be interesting...

Peterson starting tonight. He has been struggling at Syracuse. Not much in the way of hope he will do well. Would guess the Mets are going to need at least 5 or 6 runs to have a chance.

This should be interesting...

Peterson starting tonight. He has been struggling at Syracuse. Not much in the way of hope he will do well. Would guess the Mets are going to need at least 5 or 6 runs to have a chance.

These days feels like 9 or 10 are needed.

Firing Buck probably won't change anything. But maybe he feels he has to do something. Hope not.
The starting pitching changes this season have not worked out (looking at you Verlander, Quinntana, Senga). Was a mistake to let Bassit go (just because he threw 2 bad games at the end of last season). The pen except for Robertson is pretty bad. Buying guys for big $$ just because of their baseball card doesn't always work out because there is more performance fluctuation season to season in baseball than most other sports. Cohen will learn this. Don't trade top prospects at deadline to try to salvage this. Plan better for next year.

Firing Buck probably won't change anything. But maybe he feels he has to do something. Hope not.
The starting pitching changes this season have not worked out (looking at you Verlander, Quinntana, Senga). Was a mistake to let Bassit go (just because he threw 2 bad games at the end of last season). The pen except for Robertson is pretty bad. Buying guys for big $$ just because of their baseball card doesn't always work out because there is more performance fluctuation season to season in baseball than most other sports. Cohen will learn this. Don't trade top prospects at deadline to try to salvage this. Plan better for next year.

I wish we had some semblance of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz still on the team. Those guys should have been in their prime by now.

Really good pitching performance by Peterson. The thing that frustrates me the most about him is that he clearly is capable of being a solid starting pitcher in the bigs. So much inconsistency.

Most everyone seems to be hitting better now except McNeil and Alvarez.

Maybe these guys could go on a short winning streak. Crazier things have happened.

I wish we had some semblance of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz still on the team. Those guys should have been in their prime by now.
They are now 34, 33, 35, 30 and 32 respectively.

Only one remains a productive MLB pitcher.

How sad.

They are now 34, 33, 35, 30 and 32 respectively.

Only one remains a productive MLB pitcher.

How sad.
Out of all those dudes, I'd never in a million years have picked Wheeler as the one with the most longevity. Losing him was the one of the worst lingering consequences of the Wilponzi era.

Out of all those dudes, I'd never in a million years have picked Wheeler as the one with the most longevity. Losing him was the one of the worst lingering consequences of the Wilponzi era.
The decision to let him go will go down in history as one of the worse personnel calls in Mets history.

That said, if I were a GM, I don't know how enthused I would be able signing any pitcher to a long term contract. So many promising young pitchers burn out so quickly.

I think the best long term way to handle your pitching staff is to develop a great farm system and continually bring up young arms to take the place of guys who establish themselves and go away as free agents.

This is what the Mets are trying to do. Not much progress so far, but it is good they are trying.

look at the kid who was in the running last yr for the cy young and this year cant pitch his way out of A ball.

I thought his quote about not willing to sustain losses for a long time was the most interesting part of that presser. I wonder how much Uncle Steve really is willing to put into this... the sooner he can buy SNY the better. I also find it fascinating that he is willing to hold players accountable and not just the staff. If this doesn't turn around soon I can see the Mets cleaning house to rebuild the farm. I wonder if any of the core guys, like Pete, gets moved.

Fourth Inning: bases loaded, nobody out. I always feel that we should get at least two runs out of that situation. Zero is a disaster. One avoids a disaster. Two should be the mean. Three or more can give us control of the game. So Alvarez never swings but gets a walk. Baty struck out looking and Canha grounded into a double play. That was followed by 5 consecutive zeros.

Alvarez, who seemed to have figured out major league pitching is now batting .216. Alonso is .220 and Lindor .224. Those are our big guns. Our DH is batting .219 while the defending National League batting champions is hitting .255.

add in mcniel struggling and its a wonder we score at all.

Amazing how many games a completely screwed up call by the umps has led to runs and blows the game open.. between calls and blow replays we have to be down like 10 games to this stuff and not good enough to overcome any of it..

add in mcniel struggling and its a wonder we score at all.

Amazing how many games a completely screwed up call by the umps has led to runs and blows the game open.. between calls and blow replays we have to be down like 10 games to this stuff and not good enough to overcome any of it..

When you play well, you can overcome those things. If you don't, they all matter.

The good news last night was that Senga pitched on normal rest and looked normal. His stuff was good. His control was suspect as usual, and it took him over 100 pitches to get through 5 innings, but that is normal for him, at least so far in his MLB career.

Same old story, Starter can't get deep in the games. Mets are forced to use their suspect bullpen and the suspects don't do the job.

Hartwig looks promising and I think he will be a good MLB reliever down the road. But he isn't quite ready yet and he games up a run and the lead almost immediately.

Ottavino has been struggling all season and that continued last night. Those 2 runs he gave up late were killer.

Alvarez has been lost the last month or so. MLB pitchers have been adjustments and he has not been able to counter this. Might not be a bad idea to send him down for a bit, bring up Nido and let him and Narvaez handle the catching for a while.

Cohen is right. Makes no sense to keep this team together for another year if they do nothing this season. They are too old now and next year will just be another year older.

Worry that Eppler will do a terrible job getting fair value for players like Scherzer. Would have no problem trading Verlander, Robertson, Ottavino, Marte, Pham and/or Canha. But the value for veteran players is highest at the trade deadline, when adding these kinds of players can make the difference between making the playoffs or missing them.

The team needs to get younger. Especially with starting pitching. They need to add a couple more reliable relievers.

If they can get good value for the veterans, do it. Hold on to the core and build for the future.

Rooting for this Mets team is like trying to squeeze the last toothpaste out of the tube. You want to believe that there's more in there but...

Still another game where we stopped scoring. Two solo homers in the 3rd and that's it. Marte came up with the bases loaded in the 7th and the 9th and grounded into a DP and struck out to end the game.

The Mets have now lost their last 8 one-run games after a 10-7 start. They are 36-45 halfway through the season. Last year they were 50-31.

Last edited:
Mets vs. the Ex-Mets

Flores, Davis, Conforto. Wish we still had 'em.

The Gints can comiserate with the Mets: in 2021 they won 107 games, last year, 81.

Last edited:
Buck can't win: he gets excoriated for not using Robertson early so now he uses him and...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom