2023 NY Mets thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2023 NY Mets thread

Buck can't win: he gets excoriated for not using Robertson early so now he uses him and...
This is getting to the curse of the billy goat stage. Btw what in gods name or they going to do with Lindor’s nine remaining years? When will they DFA him and uncle Steve will eat the cost? Mets lost that trade.

The Met's just hit their 5th, 6th and 7th consecutive one-run homers in this week.

Anthony Desclafani pitched 3 strikeouts and 3 homers in the 3rd inning.
Ron Darling: "Yahtzee!"

Last edited:
Great sequence: Ottavino comes in with one guy on and 2 outs, 6-4 lead, walks a guy on four straight, hits a guy to load the bases and the fans start booing. The Met's pitching coach and Alvarez come to the mound while they are tending to the hit batsman. Adam throws a strike, gets a foul ball and then whiffs the guy, walking off the mound in triumph.

And Pete just hit a two run no-doubter as I am writing this.

So, do we blame the players or the coaches for why everybody seems to be hitting .220?

I hope Pete's right. If the Mets get this season turned around and are hot in the second half, the events described in the post above this might be seen as the turning point.

We failed to blow it. You could see it coming but it never got here.

3 in a row, baby!

Really think if Pete was hitting his decent .260-.275 right now they would be over .500 and in shape to make a playoff run even with all the awful play.. him hitting .215 is sad.

Really think if Pete was hitting his decent .260-.275 right now they would be over .500 and in shape to make a playoff run even with all the awful play.. him hitting .215 is sad.

I remember at the beginning of the season Keith Hernandez noted that Pete had learned to lay off the high fastball with which the pitchers had been getting him out. it seemed to promise a great year. I haven't seen him go after the high fastball all that much and he has strong HR and RBI numbers. I can't understand why he's batting .215 at all. It makes no sense. He's not Dave Kingman. He's at least Harmon Killebrew.

Interesting game.

Marte has been bad in clutch situations all season. Especially recently. But he got a big 3 run HR (only his 5th) to get the team going.

Nimmo hit another HR. Believe he has 9 in his last 21 games, as he has made adjustments to trade off more strike outs for more power.

Alvarez hit an enormous HR and continues to look like he might be ending an extended slump.

Scherzer was good except for an awful 4th inning. His ERA is now above 4.00 but the Mets have scored runs for him and his record is now 8-2.

Raley looked shaky but threw a scoreless inning.

Ottavino looked good and maybe he has turned a corner and is going to be effective again.

Smith had an easy assignment to pitch the ninth with a big lead and again was ineffective. And even Robertson struggled some.

Alonso continues to look overmatched and lost at the plate. No plate discipline. Routinely takes strikes on pitches down the middle and swings at pitches outside of the strike zone. If he can ever learn the strike zone and be selective, he could be so much more effective. He can do it for stretches. His fielding has been especially bad in recent weeks but props to him for making a great job today. Lindor was also very good playing defense today.

Senga and Carrasco in games 2 and 3 of the series. Senga is not the same pitcher on the road and Cookie has been a mess most starts. Probably going to need to score a bunch of runs to get more wins here.

arizona being a team that doesnt swing at pitches is gonna make it hard the next 2 games

I remember at the beginning of the season Keith Hernandez noted that Pete had learned to lay off the high fastball with which the pitchers had been getting him out. it seemed to promise a great year. I haven't seen him go after the high fastball all that much and he has strong HR and RBI numbers. I can't understand why he's batting .215 at all. It makes no sense. He's not Dave Kingman. He's at least Harmon Killebrew.
His K% and BB% are pretty close to his career averages. His BABIP is .192 this year, which suggests he has mostly been unlucky.

Last edited:
We are winning the sorts of games we've been losing. We are starting to look a little more like last year's team. We are now 26-5 when our starter goes 6 full innings.

We are winning the sorts of games we've been losing. We are starting to look a little more like last year's team. We are now 26-5 when our starter goes 6 full innings.

Definitely. Excited to see some of the youngsters have been clutch. Alvarez is fun to watch.

Definitely. Excited to see some of the youngsters have been clutch. Alvarez is fun to watch.
Write him in at catcher for the next 10 years... The kid they drafted last year out of GaTech might be an even better hitter, though with less pop than Alvarez. Of course you can probably safely say that 95% of baseball players have less pop than Alvarez. He is fun and unreal to watch.

The Met rotation is getting interesting.

Here are the starters the last 8 games:

Tuesday, June 27 Peterson
Wednesday June 28 Senga
Thursday, June 29 Scherzer
Friday June 30 Carrasco
Saturday, July 1 Verlander
Sunday, July 2 Peterson
Monday, July 3 off day
Tuesday, July 4 Scherzer
Wednesday, July 5 Senga

And here is who is slated to start the next 4 games…

Thursday, July 6 Carassco
Friday, July 7 Verlander
Saturday, July 8 Peterson
Sunday, July 9 TBD (Scherzer?)

It looks like Peterson and Scherare are pitching on 4 days rest. Carrasco and Verlander are pitching on 5 days rest. And Senga pitched on 6 days rest.

If things don’t change, Scherzer will pitch Sunday.

Then we have 3 days off for the all star break. So Senga will get 7 days rest for his next start, as will Carrasco and Verlander.

Quintana is scheduled to pitch a rehab game for Syracuse Friday night, then a simulated game, then rejoin the Met rotation. So his first start as a Met is tentatively scheduled for Monday July 17th, which is a travel day. So he probably gets his first start on Tuesday, ,July 18th. Hoping the Mets go to a siX man rotation then. I am sure Max will fight against it and maybe they will accommodate him and try to get the other starters extra rest, like they have been doing recently.

Peterson has been effective his last 2 starts but his velocity on his fastball topped off at 91 mph and I think he is either hurt or gassed. Hope if he stays in the rotation, he gets extra rest. Same applies to Carrasco.

Megill got bombed in the first inning again for Syracuse and doesn’t look likely to get called up any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Write him in at catcher for the next 10 years... The kid they drafted last year out of GaTech might be an even better hitter, though with less pop than Alvarez. Of course you can probably safely say that 95% of baseball players have less pop than Alvarez. He is fun and unreal to watch.

Somehow, when I look at him I see Yogi Berra or Roy Campanella, although I don't think either of them hit it 467 feet.

Someone said they saw Brent Baty as a young George Brett. Noy really getting that vibe but I hope they are right. With Vientos and Maurico we need a place for them to play and a commitment to use them.

The Met rotation is getting interesting.

Here are the starters the last 8 games:

Tuesday, June 27 Peterson
Wednesday June 28 Senga
Thursday, June 29 Scherzer
Friday June 30 Carrasco
Saturday, July 1 Verlander
Sunday, July 2 Peterson
Monday, July 3 off day
Tuesday, July 4 Scherzer
Wednesday, July 5 Senga

And here is who is slated to start the next 4 games…

Thursday, July 6 Carassco
Friday, July 7 Verlander
Saturday, July 8 Peterson
Sunday, July 9 TBD (Scherzer?)

It looks like Peterson and Scherare are pitching on 4 days rest. Carrasco and Verlander are pitching on 5 days rest. And Senga pitched on 6 days rest.

If things don’t change, Scherzer will pitch Sunday.

Then we have 3 days off for the all star break. So Senga will get 7 days rest for his next start, as will Carrasco and Verlander.

Quintana is scheduled to pitch a rehab game for Syracuse Friday night, then a simulated game, then rejoin the Met rotation. So his first start as a Met is tentatively scheduled for Monday July 17th, which is a travel day. So he probably gets his first start on Tuesday, ,July 18th. Hoping the Mets go to a siX man rotation then. I am sure Max will fight against it and maybe they will accommodate him and try to get the other starters extra rest, like they have been doing recently.

Peterson has been effective his last 2 starts but his velocity on his fastball topped off at 91 mph and I think he is either hurt or gassed. Hope if he stays in the rotation, he gets extra rest. Same applies to Carrasco.

Megill got bombed in the first inning again for Syracuse and doesn’t look likely to get called up any time soon.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Megill's really fallen apart. In his first two seasons in the bigs, he struck out 150 and walked 40 in 137 innings. This year he's stuck out 58 and walked 39 in 71.1 innings. I hope he can turn it around. If he doesn't, I'll go back to calling him "Tyler".

Somehow, when I look at him I see Yogi Berra or Roy Campanella, although I don't think either of them hit it 467 feet.

Someone said they saw Brent Baty as a young George Brett. Noy really getting that vibe but I hope they are right. With Vientos and Maurico we need a place for them to play and a commitment to use them.
I'm not sure Vientos is anything more than a quad-a guy... but he deserves the shot to find out which he never got. Baty and Alvarez seem to have the talent to make adjustments at the major league level.

I'm not sure Vientos is anything more than a quad-a guy... but he deserves the shot to find out which he never got. Baty and Alvarez seem to have the talent to make adjustments at the major league level.
Brody made an interesting comment evaluating Mark in February.

I would think if anything, Mark has further distanced himself this season.

No doubt in my mind Mark will be a formidable hitter in MLB. It would really serve him well to focus in on one position and become at least average defensively at it.

Brody made an interesting comment evaluating Mark in February.

I would think if anything, Mark has further distanced himself this season.

No doubt in my mind Mark will be a formidable hitter in MLB. It would really serve him well to focus in on one position and become at least average defensively at it.

"Van Wagenen is getting a bit choosy with this comparison. As many pointed out to him, if we take Alonso’s 2018 season, Vientos is no match for the pure power. Only statistics which make Vientos look comparable were included."

"Roc Nation is where Van Wagenen works and they represent Vientos. It’s not unusual for agents to pump up their prospects early on. This only feels a little funny because we know that if Van Wagenen stuck around long enough in Queens he would have traded Vientos for a relief pitcher rental."

See...winning is easy!

reinstall-a-clean-macos-with-one-button.jpg

Lindor, (5 for 5), is now hitting .233, (yes, that's an improvement) with 57RBI. Pete has 26 homers and 61 rbis.

Such a great few wins! Team seems to be clicking all of a sudden which I’m happy about. Then I look at the standings and see they are still 6.5 out of a wildcard spot and need to temper my expectations. They put themselves in such a hole that they would need to extend this win streak to ten just to get to .500. Hoping they can slowly chip away the gap between them and the other wildcard teams. Ugh. They sucked me back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom