2023 Spring Practice | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Spring Practice

We have some ground to make up losing Duce and Jahad to higher bidders
Didn’t we bring in four star safety and a four star CB?

To go along with Simmons, Clark, Barron, Wilson and Johnson.

Plus the development of the next wave of which we seem to have a young DB star or two every year under Dino.

EDIT: I’d love one more CB and one more safety but I don’t think we’re in a totally bad spot as is

Didn’t we bring in four star safety and a four star CB?

To go along with Simmons, Clark, Barron, Wilson and Johnson.

Plus the development of the next wave of which we seem to have a young DB star or two every year under Dino.

EDIT: I’d love one more CB and one more safety but I don’t think we’re in a totally bad spot as is
Known quantity vs unknown quantity...

We'll see how the new guys pan out

I'm skeptical all these new guys are starters

I totaly agree with Mark on this. I had just posted the below on the 2023 roster thread.

I certainly agree with needing DB help. We've been very fortunate to have really good talent at CB for a number of years now but really I have some concerns with both CB and Safety. I mean what we lose from 2022 at CB is Garrett Williams to the NFL and Deuce to LSU and now Nunn. At Safety we lose Ja'Had Carter to OSU, Eric Coley to graduation and now Hannah. We brought in zero 2023 freshman for either position and have added RS Frosh in Bellamy and Gould who are nice prospects but still both unproven. We need to add more than that.

Roster now has some updated numbers.

0 - Darton
4 - Caleb
5 - Alford
8 - Barron
Interesting that they think Alford and Barron have earned single digits already. But I guess somebody needs to get them so it kind of makes sense.

Interesting that they think Alford and Barron have earned single digits already. But I guess somebody needs to get them so it kind of makes sense.

Barron
- Has started 21 games. Do we have a defender with more starts other than Wax?
- Plays on most (if not all) special teams
- Holder for FGs and PATs
- Third leading tackler in 2022 behind Wax and Jones.
- He is a leader. He’s played in more games for Cuse than any other member of the secondary and has been in the program longer than other memebers of the secondary except Greenwood.

IMO Barron has earned his single digit number.

Clark changed from #10 to #5 midway through the 2022 season. What was the justification for that change?

Barron
- He is a leader. He’s played in more games for Cuse than any other member of the secondary and has been in the program longer than other memebers of the secondary except Greenwood.

Clark changed from #10 to #5 midway through the 2022 season. What was the justification for that change?
Remember when he got ejected for targeting and the defense was much worse without him?

Barron’s a leader on and off the field. He keeps his position group and the defense focused.

Clark leads by action and outworks everyone.

Wax, Caleb, Shrader are the big captains but these two earned their single dig’s

Barron

As a whole I think the current talent and productivity of the DB group is down a bit from previous seasons as we've been pretty good there. I agree that Barron has been fairly solid. Not spectacular but fairly solid. As a safety he doesn't get beat too often, has not had any Int's yet and only had one PD last year but did have some TFL's. If your adding a DB to the single digit group its probably him. He did win the mat drills and seems to be a good leader.

Thank goodness his nickname isn’t Cien.

No one has brought up Oliver, pretty big recruit and Lville transfer. He will be in the mid this year at DB. I think depth is sufficient for now. If anything, I think bringing in a safety/rover might be beneficial for depth purposes.

Monroe and the defensive staff had a ton of success recruiting CBs. I have faith that one of Delaine or Peterson from the ‘22 recruiting class will end up developing this season.

I totaly agree with Mark on this. I had just posted the below on the 2023 roster thread.

I certainly agree with needing DB help. We've been very fortunate to have really good talent at CB for a number of years now but really I have some concerns with both CB and Safety. I mean what we lose from 2022 at CB is Garrett Williams to the NFL and Deuce to LSU and now Nunn. At Safety we lose Ja'Had Carter to OSU, Eric Coley to graduation and now Hannah. We brought in zero 2023 freshman for either position and have added RS Frosh in Bellamy and Gould who are nice prospects but still both unproven. We need to add more than that.
Maybe that's why they offered a JUCO DB today.

We have some ground to make up losing Duce and Jahad to higher bidders
Half & Half, Duce was a 50/50 where he missed tackles or get beat, and then occasionally awesome play. We have a few to replace that. Now Jahad was a baller and ball hawk. He is missed the moment he announced he was hitting the portal. He will be hard to replace but all we can say is next best player up. But really, good luck and good health to both of them.

We will be fine plus I believe the new wave of transfers are coming soon. :)

Does anyone know if Cornell Perry is practicing? He is a RF corner who I think everyone has forgotten about because he got injured last spring. I like his size at 6’-1” and 180 lbs. Hopefully he is competing for a role this year as well.

We will be fine plus I believe the new wave of transfers are coming soon. :)
I guess we'll see. Hopefully we're better talent evaluators than the programs that took our guys. Otherwise, they would have gone after the transfers we're taking.

I guess we'll see. Hopefully we're better talent evaluators than the programs that took our guys. Otherwise, they would have gone after the transfers we're taking.
The transfers we took were HS teammates from Jersey. Maybe them playing together closer to home would mean that OSU and LSU wouldnt have been after them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom