2023 Transfer Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

No tears shed or Ratgirls. Their staff should be expending more energy recruiting deep NJ talent than simply relying on numerous transfers to keep them afloat . Kirst was most certainly recruited by them yet chose us because different pictures will be drawn this year . Hope Cuse puts Ratgirls back on schedule and exposes them for the house of cards they are

Kirst chose the Orange because he's pursuing a career in sports media and wanted to attend Newhouse. He didn't even consider going anywhere else. His decision had little to do with the respective lacrosse programs. Agree about them being a house of cards though

Out of the box idea but with FOGO still unsettled, SU may want to take a run at Jake Czyz from Bville. He's slated to be at a D2 Florida Southern this fall but had an excellent HS career and was named an AA. He may not want to change his mind but wouldn't be the worst idea for SU to reach out.

Cuse should take a shot on this kid. Maybe the only player in D1 from Wyoming? Numbers aren't mindblowing but went 17-28 against Hofstra, 15-23 vs. UMass, 10-19 vs. Stony Brook and 10-18 vs. Rutgers so he's capable of winning a matchup against decent competition which is better than what the Orange currently have on the roster.

Agreed on taking a run here. If I was Gait I'd look to add him and Zusi if at all possible. If Zusi isn't possible and there are no surprises ie Sisselberger or someone else jumping in I would try and add Joseph and the kid from Canisius. Neither has unreal numbers but at this point I think you take a quantity approach and hope between the 4 fogos (Fine, Gibbs and 2 transfers) you catch lightning in a bottle. Maryland did something similar years ago and actually had a good amount of success.

Agreed on taking a run here. If I was Gait I'd look to add him and Zusi if at all possible. If Zusi isn't possible and there are no surprises ie Sisselberger or someone else jumping in I would try and add Joseph and the kid from Canisius. Neither has unreal numbers but at this point I think you take a quantity approach and hope between the 4 fogos (Fine, Gibbs and 2 transfers) you catch lightning in a bottle. Maryland did something similar years ago and actually had a good amount of success.

Reminds me of what they did prior to the 2015 season when they brought in Ben Williams and Zach Vehar. Both came in as transfers from lower level schools (Williams Holy Cross, Vehar Quinnipiac) and both had winning percentages around 50%. Williams was the definition of lightening in the bottle. I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly but there might have been a rule change that benefited Williams prior to the 2015 season.

Agree that Zusi needs to be the primary focus but at this point something is better than nothing. This is getting more than a little worrisome. The ACC, and most of the other teams on the Orange's schedule next year (if its the same as last year) are stacked at the face-off position.

Lightening in a bottle is perhaps less out of the question in these early stages of the new rules. Look at the massive leap Weirman took for MD last year. If we bring in two half way decent guys from not overly successful programs, get them working with Ierlan, who is a probably more useful to work with than anyone on the staff of their old school, then who knows we may keep it competitive at least. Still hoping that some guy who is not even in the portal yet is announced as transferring to cuse but as each day goes by that seems less likely.

Speaking of Fine.. I found it funny that savage hit the portal and Fine stayed.. is there any chance that maybe Fine progressed more than Savage did last year and that’s why Savage left? Just wondering

Out of the box idea but with FOGO still unsettled, SU may want to take a run at Jake Czyz from Bville. He's slated to be at a D2 Florida Southern this fall but had an excellent HS career and was named an AA. He may not want to change his mind but wouldn't be the worst idea for SU to reach out.
division 2 offers athletic scholarship money. less than division1, but at least some unlike d3. if he signed for athletic $$, he's off limits.
i know sometimes these aren't signing ceremonies for some, tho the article does delineate b/t women's crew commits vs nli signings. and they actually say nli signing day. don't know if all the schools listed are nli eligible, and the wording is vagueish in the article for mens lacrosse guys

division 2 offers athletic scholarship money. less than division1, but at least some unlike d3. if he signed for athletic $$, he's off limits.
i know sometimes these aren't signing ceremonies for some, tho the article does delineate b/t women's crew commits vs nli signings. and they actually say nli. don't know if all the schools listed are nli eligible.

Yes I believe its possible he's getting scholarship money and its highly unlikely but if SU did offer and he was interested he could ask to be released from his NLI. FSU could reject that request and if that happened he would then have to formally transfer at some point in the fall. Again a highly unlikely scenario, I was just spitballing.

Yes I believe its possible he's getting scholarship money and its highly unlikely but if SU did offer and he was interested he could ask to be released from his NLI. FSU could reject that request and if that happened he would then have to formally transfer at some point in the fall. Again a highly unlikely scenario, I was just spitballing.
well yeah but has any team/coach ever overstepped an nli? has a lacrosse coach ever done it? that'd be weird if gait was the 1st and what that might entail. and i'm not even sure it's a legal within the rules practice, definitely could be.

Last edited:
found this at nationalletter.org

a q&a on the national letter of intent. question was basically ... whether you can be contacted after signing an nli.

"No. Once you sign an NLI, all other institutions are obligated to cease contacting you and your family members. Accordingly, you have an obligation to notify any coach from an NLI institution that you have signed an NLI. Any contact in excess of an exchange of a greeting is not permitted regardless of the conversation. The conversation does not have to result in recruiting discussion for a recruiting ban violation to occur."

Niiice excited for both, especially the SSDM. Feel like Carter rice and Aviles have the potential to be a really solid duo, but after them there was a drop off. In Rosa's case there may have been some injury/overuse concerns so I hope he still gets a shot at some minutes next year. Unlikely we do this but if we are lacking 2nd line middies he can also shoot the lights out of the ball. Think it is good to have more than 4 guys capable of playing the position at a passable level.

It's the most important position in the sport. The 2-3 crazy athletes that MD had this year are as big a reason for their success as anything. Excited to see how Carter Rice develops there as most of the times he got beat it was more due to getting used to the position rather than athleticism. A little undersized but that speed is insane.

Niiice excited for both, especially the SSDM. Feel like Carter rice and Aviles have the potential to be a really solid duo, but after them there was a drop off. In Rosa's case there may have been some injury/overuse concerns so I hope he still gets a shot at some minutes next year. Unlikely we do this but if we are lacking 2nd line middies he can also shoot the lights out of the ball. Think it is good to have more than 4 guys capable of playing the position at a passable level.

It's the most important position in the sport. The 2-3 crazy athletes that MD had this year are as big a reason for their success as anything. Excited to see how Carter Rice develops there as most of the times he got beat it was more due to getting used to the position rather than athleticism. A little undersized but that speed is insane.

Rosa was definitely hurt for a large portion of the season. He's a fearless player not afraid to throw his body around but it has cost him the last 2 seasons. SU should now have significant depth with the addition of the 2 transfers plus returning everyone but I believe Dami.

The Orange are getting Mark and Murphy from LIU

This is a great development. Mark seems to be in line for the starting goaltender job, and while I doubt he will reach his 57% save percentage this year, hopefully SU has a goalie who can at least equal 50%. Having a veteran in front of a young defense will be important and McCool and Ippoliti can fight it out for the starting spot in '24.

In 15 games last year he had only two where he was sub 50%. A rough outing against Hofstra (11 GA, 4 saves) and a bad one against Hobart (22 GA, 13 saves). He had some very good games, 18 saves and 4 GA against Siena, 20 saves and 10 GA against Mt St Marys, and 19 saves with 7 GA against Quinnipiac.
Obviously he wasn't seeing the stiffest competition but he did save 15 against Rutgers while giving up 15 goals and had 14 saves while allowing 12 goals against UMass.

SSDMs are harder to analyzed based on the fact they don't put up many stats, but based on this highlight video, Murphy definitely looks to have an edge about him. Reminds me of Aviles with the way he tries to create turnovers. Looks to have good footwork and decent speed (he also plays wings on face-offs). We will see how it translates to the ACC, but like others have said, you can never have enough quality shortsticks.

A poster and fan of LIU has posted a lot on the Syracuse 2023 thread on Fanlax about both players, definitely worth a read for those who haven't been following.

Shame SU couldn't land Hudgins. They seem to be on equal footing with the Buckeyes so curious what made him choose Ohio State.

Last edited:
Very excited about all our additions.

On offense, new, returning and incoming personnel fit the style that Gait wishes to employ.

As ssdm , gonna have a lot of options and competition fwhich can only strengthen that unit which has been lacking the past few years.

At G , Marks was consistently good at LIU . Weekly comp will be stronger but so will be the defense in front of him. 50% is attainable and that would be nearly 10% higher than last year or 2.5 goals less a game.

Now get a above average fogo and let's freeking GO!!!

Wont lose any sleep over not getting or facing .

Our D will be just fine as long as the goaltending does its part
Petro needs to show something this year. Not at all convinced that the D will be just fine after their performance last year, goalie or no goalie. Hoping that some of the D team errors were due to trying to teach long time Rodgers guys Petro's tricks in the 11th hour of their college career and that guys coming into the program only knowing his teachings will show less signs of confusion. Kennedy Murphy and Dami had had some team D/decision making issues before Petro came along as well.

But then again when was the last time there was a good petro D out there in hop uniforms? Man down D was awful too. He has to show that the recent years do not define him and some willingness to adapt his approach if the results continue to be rough. An aggressive approach may be too high risk when the ball barely comes out of guys sticks in the modern era.

Shame SU couldn't land Hudgins. They seem to be on equal footing with the Buckeyes so curious what made him choose Ohio State.

Equal footing how? The Buckeyes were a playoff team this year (arguably should not have been, but still). Syracuse...was not. And based on that Syracuse.com article with Hudgins' dad it sounded like he was looking for a space science program and after conducting a cursory google search it looks like Ohio State has a good program.

I don't know why Hudgins was not with the Army lax team this year but given Cuse's recent off-the-field issues it may not be such a bad thing that they didn't land him. They need guys who are 100% committed and focused in order to right this ship. More distractions would be bad.

Equal footing how? The Buckeyes were a playoff team this year (arguably should not have been, but still). Syracuse...was not. And based on that Syracuse.com article with Hudgins' dad it sounded like he was looking for a space science program and after conducting a cursory google search it looks like Ohio State has a good program.

I don't know why Hudgins was not with the Army lax team this year but given Cuse's recent off-the-field issues it may not be such a bad thing that they didn't land him. They need guys who are 100% committed and focused in order to right this ship. More distractions would be bad.

I guess for some reason I lump schools like Syracuse, Ohio State, Penn State, Denver, Maryland and even Rutgers together. I think because they are roughly equivalent in terms of academics and general pedigree, and outside of Denver and Maryland I
don’t think anyone is going to these schools for the weather.

Whenever I see that a good player has committed to one of those schools, I wonder why Syracuse didn’t land them. Obviously they have major differences that I won’t go through but that’s my rational for saying OSU and SU are on the same level.

When I read that quote from his dad I thought that Syracuse would be a long shot. But I had expected him to choose a school like Duke or Maryland or Notre Dame. I don’t think anyone is picking Ohio State as a final four team for next season.

I guess for some reason I lump schools like Syracuse, Ohio State, Penn State, Denver, Maryland and even Rutgers together. I think because they are roughly equivalent in terms of academics and general pedigree, and outside of Denver and Maryland I
don’t think anyone is going to these schools for the weather.

Whenever I see that a good player has committed to one of those schools, I wonder why Syracuse didn’t land them. Obviously they have major differences that I won’t go through but that’s my rational for saying OSU and SU are on the same level.

When I read that quote from his dad I thought that Syracuse would be a long shot. But I had expected him to choose a school like Duke or Maryland or Notre Dame. I don’t think anyone is picking Ohio State as a final four team for next season.
If you have followed OSU recruiting the last few years, you would see that they work the race card very well. They make it clear to the player that their are more players that look like them at OSU than any other school(not my words-theirs) Take a look at the rosters of the schools and compare. I feel it’s BS but they do have a slight numbers advantage in that area and it has played a role in securing some commitments.

Very excited about all our additions.

On offense, new, returning and incoming personnel fit the style that Gait wishes to employ.

As ssdm , gonna have a lot of options and competition fwhich can only strengthen that unit which has been lacking the past few years.

At G , Marks was consistently good at LIU . Weekly comp will be stronger but so will be the defense in front of him. 50% is attainable and that would be nearly 10% higher than last year or 2.5 goals less a game.

Now get a above average fogo and let's freeking GO!!!

I think these portal additions really bode well for the direction of the program. Given that the Orange have struggled the last two years, it's pretty impressive that they've been able to convince kids in pretty high demand to play for them.

The portal doesn't seem to be teeming with talent like it has the past few years, but if you were to do a "Top Portal Class" like IL did last year, you'd have to think that SU is probably in the top three at this point. That's just taking into account incomings, if you factored in the loss of Dordvic that obviously hurts. Georgetown is the pretty obvious winners of the portal right now but SU is right behind them, probably competing with Notre Dame (Conlin, Tevlin, Fake, Simmons). To pair that with the top recruiting class really raises expectations for the upcoming season.

Of course it must be said that they are welcoming in a very big group of newcomers next year. 15 freshmen and as of now five transfers (hopefully at least a couple more in the form of FOGOs). That's 20 new players which is A LOT. How they coaches mesh them in with the rest of the team will be really important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom