2023 Transfer Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

With a little over a month to go before classes start, there still seems to be a good amount of players still in the portal. There are a lot more in the portal than the names listed below, but these are the ones that caught my eye.

Kevin Winkoff, attack, Binghamton
Darian Cook, attack, Brown
Peter Rizzoti, LSM, Dartmouth
Alston Tarry, attack, Bucknell
Michael Ubriacio, defense, Maryland
Justin Joseph, FO, LIU
Bobby Gavin, goalie, Syracuse
Connel Kumar, midfield, UVa
Corbin Switzer, defense, UVa
Mo Sillah, LSM, Towson

I left out a few like Madronic, Herbert, and Demopolis since it sounds like they are either staying at school or leaving the sport.

Anyone have any info on the guys above? Lots of good players. Maybe some have decided to stay at their schools and that just hasn’t made headlines. Nyclax said SU is in the mix for Joseph which is really encouraging.
I certainly would not mind another strong long pole contender since we have a good chance to be trotting out two true freshman at close next year. Olexo and Clary are both quite good at 1v1 coverage, but like everyone else last year seemed prone to mistakes on team defense and sliding. Do they benefit from a year under their belt learning whatever the hell it is that makes petros system so difficult to learn? Do we ever move one of them down to close like we did with Kennedy? If so there is maybe room for a guy like Rizzoti or Sillah. Lots of hype surrounding Drago on here at times but he never actually played more than a minute or two if at all.

Think we are all set on offense and got the right type of guys in Kirst and Simmons. Dodger in Kirst and a guy who can pass catch and finish with the best of them in Simmons. If anything I would like an experienced middie.

Cook stands out for me. Quick, fast and accurate, a born scorer. I'd sell the farm for him. Chances are he likes Brown, maybe waiting for UVA or Md. Love to know why he hasn't been snapped up.

he had a non-contact knee injury and missed the last month of the season. both he and potential suitors could be waiting to see how the rehab is going before making any decisions. and as a Brown alum he won't have too much trouble getting a job so he'll have to weigh that opportunity against playing another year coming off a rehab.

I certainly would not mind another strong long pole contender since we have a good chance to be trotting out two true freshman at close next year. Olexo and Clary are both quite good at 1v1 coverage, but like everyone else last year seemed prone to mistakes on team defense and sliding. Do they benefit from a year under their belt learning whatever the hell it is that makes petros system so difficult to learn? Do we ever move one of them down to close like we did with Kennedy? If so there is maybe room for a guy like Rizzoti or Sillah. Lots of hype surrounding Drago on here at times but he never actually played more than a minute or two if at all.

Think we are all set on offense and got the right type of guys in Kirst and Simmons. Dodger in Kirst and a guy who can pass catch and finish with the best of them in Simmons. If anything I would like an experienced middie.
Offense should be fine. Content with goalie addition. let there be competition. D is loaded with young talent which will be molded. Dwan is a starter day one . Still high on Frattergio and Figurares should challenge Clary was a tough watch last year , both Page , Drago incoming lsm should get a real opportunity to back Olexo.

he had a non-contact knee injury and missed the last month of the season. both he and potential suitors could be waiting to see how the rehab is going before making any decisions. and as a Brown alum he won't have too much trouble getting a job so he'll have to weigh that opportunity against playing another year coming off a rehab.
good info thanks

Yeah, if you go after another attackman, you risk alienating either Birtwistle, who averaged a hat trick in the last four games of the season, or the number one recruit in the country in Spallina. At the beginning of the offseason I thought adding another attackman wouldn't be a big deal, but now that things have slowed down the market, I have reassessed. With all the young talent coming in I think it's smart to develop these kids and not just chase a quick fix. I still wonder a bit if Simmons or Kirst will be a starting attackman, most likely for Birtwistle. He will have to produce at that spot for sure.

Given the issues at defense I am a little surprised they didn't chase more defensemen in the portal but I think adding a competent goalie was the most important thing. And they have the two new SSDMs in the fold as well. I am excited for Dwan and Figuerias, both players look very impressive. I am not sure when the last time was SU had such a large and physically imposing defenseman like Dwan. Tyson Bomberry was stout but not as tall. After years of not getting highly ranked defensive recruits it looks like things are turning around, with Donny Scott in the fold for the following season. I also really liked what I saw of Chuck Kuczinsky in his highlight video, he is very, very aggressive.

Olexo and Clary were okay last year, but it would really be nice to have a real difference maker in the middle of the field. Curious if Sageder will take one of their spots. Hopefully Clary will be all the way back from his knee injury he suffered two years ago and still seemed hampered by last year.

Yeah, if you go after another attackman, you risk alienating either Birtwistle, who averaged a hat trick in the last four games of the season, or the number one recruit in the country in Spallina. At the beginning of the offseason I thought adding another attackman wouldn't be a big deal, but now that things have slowed down the market, I have reassessed. With all the young talent coming in I think it's smart to develop these kids and not just chase a quick fix. I still wonder a bit if Simmons or Kirst will be a starting attackman, most likely for Birtwistle. He will have to produce at that spot for sure.

Given the issues at defense I am a little surprised they didn't chase more defensemen in the portal but I think adding a competent goalie was the most important thing. And they have the two new SSDMs in the fold as well. I am excited for Dwan and Figuerias, both players look very impressive. I am not sure when the last time was SU had such a large and physically imposing defenseman like Dwan. Tyson Bomberry was stout but not as tall. After years of not getting highly ranked defensive recruits it looks like things are turning around, with Donny Scott in the fold for the following season. I also really liked what I saw of Chuck Kuczinsky in his highlight video, he is very, very aggressive.

Olexo and Clary were okay last year, but it would really be nice to have a real difference maker in the middle of the field. Curious if Sageder will take one of their spots. Hopefully Clary will be all the way back from his knee injury he suffered two years ago and still seemed hampered by last year.
We will get a look at Figueiras and Dwan playing together at UA game. I have watched them play a few times at the club level. They complement each other. Figueiras was the vocal leader on the field for the club team too.

Why does a D1 Men's Lacrosse Team need 40-60 players ?

Seems like a mentality that's been ingrained but as a new fan to the sport I wonder why ?

Seems like SU is all set at attack - and then some.

Why does a D1 Men's Lacrosse Team need 40-60 players ?

Seems like a mentality that's been ingrained but as a new fan to the sport I wonder why ?

Seems like SU is all set at attack - and then some.
We used to run 3 lines of Offensive players, but we can run 2 and be fine. What we really need to cap off our roster is another FO guy.

So LAX will become just like the TBT?

Mercenaries who play for a different squad every year.
The concern would be the meaning or interpretation of academic standing. Would it mean passing classes with a C average or would they make sure all classes would transfer so the student stayed on track for graduation?

I went through the list on fanlax, and did the Big Ten and ACC schools along with Georgetown:
Maryland - Teddy Dolan(G) Binghamton, Donovan Lacey(M) Sacred Heart, Donal Mullane(A) Bowdoin(III)
Rutgers - LaJhon Jones(D) Bryant, Jon Miller(M) Bryant, Ryan Decker(M) Colgate, Kyle Mullin(G) Harvard, Noah Daniels(M) MSM, Anthony Palma(G) St.John's, Joe Neuman(FO) Yale
OSU - Marcus Hudgins(D) Army, Kyle Borda (M) Fairfield, Richie LaCalandra(A) LIU, Justin Sherrer(LSM) UMd, Kyle Lewis(A) Lynchburg(III),
Johns Hopkins - Luke Caracciola (G) Bryant, Alex Mazzone(LSM) Georgetown, Russell Melendez(A) Marquette,
Michigan - Peter Thompson(M) Georgetown,
Penn State - Chase Mullins(FO) UNC, Richie Hughson(FO) Providence, James Dalimonte(FO) Muhlenburg(III), Chris Jordan(A) St.Lawrence(III)
UNC - Logan McGovern(A) Bryant, Harry Wellford(M) Bucknell, JT Roselle(LSM) Marist, Sean Goldsmith(A) Mercer, Griffin Gallagher(M) Gettysburg(III),
Syracuse - Johnny Richiusa(FO) Canisius, Alex Simmons(M) Denver, Cole Kirst(A) Lehigh, Will Mark(G) LIU, Jake Murphy(ssdm) LIU, Joe Bolea(ssdm) Kenyon(III),
Duke - Tommy Schelling(A) Lehigh, Jamie Zusi(FO) Penn, William Helm(G) St.Lawrence(III),
Virginia - Griffin Kology(D) Richmond, Thomas McConvey(M) Vermont,
Notre Dame - Jack Simmons(M) Virginia, Chris Fake(D) Yale, Brian Tevlin(M) Yale
Georgetown - Brian Minicus(A) Colgate, Danny Hincks(G) Dartmouth, Jacob Kelly(A) UNC, Nicky Solomon(A) UNC, Tucker Dordevic(M) Syracuse

I went through the list on fanlax, and did the Big Ten and ACC schools along with Georgetown:
Maryland - Teddy Dolan(G) Binghamton, Donovan Lacey(M) Sacred Heart, Donal Mullane(A) Bowdoin(III)
Rutgers - LaJhon Jones(D) Bryant, Jon Miller(M) Bryant, Ryan Decker(M) Colgate, Kyle Mullin(G) Harvard, Noah Daniels(M) MSM, Anthony Palma(G) St.John's, Joe Neuman(FO) Yale
OSU - Marcus Hudgins(D) Army, Kyle Borda (M) Fairfield, Richie LaCalandra(A) LIU, Justin Sherrer(LSM) UMd, Kyle Lewis(A) Lynchburg(III),
Johns Hopkins - Luke Caracciola (G) Bryant, Alex Mazzone(LSM) Georgetown, Russell Melendez(A) Marquette,
Michigan - Peter Thompson(M) Georgetown,
Penn State - Chase Mullins(FO) UNC, Richie Hughson(FO) Providence, James Dalimonte(FO) Muhlenburg(III), Chris Jordan(A) St.Lawrence(III)
UNC - Logan McGovern(A) Bryant, Harry Wellford(M) Bucknell, JT Roselle(LSM) Marist, Sean Goldsmith(A) Mercer, Griffin Gallagher(M) Gettysburg(III),
Syracuse - Johnny Richiusa(FO) Canisius, Alex Simmons(M) Denver, Cole Kirst(A) Lehigh, Will Mark(G) LIU, Jake Murphy(ssdm) LIU, Joe Bolea(ssdm) Kenyon(III),
Duke - Tommy Schelling(A) Lehigh, Jamie Zusi(FO) Penn, William Helm(G) St.Lawrence(III),
Virginia - Griffin Kology(D) Richmond, Thomas McConvey(M) Vermont,
Notre Dame - Jack Simmons(M) Virginia, Chris Fake(D) Yale, Brian Tevlin(M) Yale
Georgetown - Brian Minicus(A) Colgate, Danny Hincks(G) Dartmouth, Jacob Kelly(A) UNC, Nicky Solomon(A) UNC, Tucker Dordevic(M) Syracuse

Nice list but should also include what each team is losing to the portal. Some lost a lot more than others

Nice list but should also include what each team is losing to the portal. Some lost a lot more than others
You hearing anything interesting?

That is what the list on fanlax does. Just look at the last page of the Transfer Portal 2022 thread.

That is what the list on fanlax does. Just look at the last page of the Transfer Portal 2022 thread.
i'd rather off myself than go to that website. no thanks!

You hearing anything interesting?
nope just meant that we already know teams like unc lost just as much to the portal as what theyre bringing in. compare that to a team like notre dame who didn't lose anyone of note to the portal. paints a very different and more complete picture of portal action than just listing out what teams are bringing in.

can't say for sure but i suspect cuse is done with the portal for this offseason. if they are bringing in anyone else i havent heard about it. most of the big names who are still left have all moved on with their lives.

i'd rather off myself than go to that website. no thanks!

nope just meant that we already know teams like unc lost just as much to the portal as what theyre bringing in. compare that to a team like notre dame who didn't lose anyone of note to the portal. paints a very different and more complete picture of portal action than just listing out what teams are bringing in.

can't say for sure but i suspect cuse is done with the portal for this offseason. if they are bringing in anyone else i havent heard about it. most of the big names who are still left have all moved on with their lives.
Still holding on hope for Justin Joseph
I think the team is looking pretty good but agree with a couple of other posters say it would be nice to have a grad transfer to give depth and Experience at the position

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom