2023 Transfer Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

What about Gavin Gibbs the incoming FOGO? Haven't heard anything since signing day.

Don't know a ton about Gibbs to be honest. He isn't one of the top FOGO guys in the class and while you never say never it seems unlikely he will be asked to take a ton of draws next year.

I wouldn't count on Jack Fine to make an impact any time soon at Syracuse, probably ever. He struggled big time at Avon this spring and was beaten out by a Sophomore for the starting spot as the year went on. Don't think the new rules benefitted him very much. Hope Cuse didn't commit a lot of money to him.

I would place a good wager that the new staff either drops or recruits over Gibbs before he even steps on campus. He's a nice player, but not elite.

These reviews about Gibbs and Fine were from last year. Not exactly encouraging. Of course a lot could have changed in a year but it still doesn’t give me much confidence that either will be big producers for SU next year.

Phaup didn’t come in as a heralded recruit and Williams was a little over 50% his freshman year at Holy Cross. Fogo might the hardest position in the sport to predict. But all the other teams in the acc are bringing back very good faceoff guys. I don’t think Syracuse can afford to gamble, especially as they’ll be breaking in young players all over the field.

These reviews about Gibbs and Fine were from last year. Not exactly encouraging. Of course a lot could have changed in a year but it still doesn’t give me much confidence that either will be big producers for SU next year.

Phaup didn’t come in as a heralded recruit and Williams was a little over 50% his freshman year at Holy Cross. Fogo might the hardest position in the sport to predict. But all the other teams in the acc are bringing back very good faceoff guys. I don’t think Syracuse can afford to gamble, especially as they’ll be breaking in young players all over the field.
I have to imagine the staff knows something we don't. Either someone in the portal or someone who will be entering. Maybe Irelan has someone he trains on the side lined up. They can't go into next year with Fine and Gibbs as the only guys.

Crazier things have happened this year but you have to think, even more than any offensive or defensive player, filling this role is the #1 thing the staff is concerned about right now.

Side note: if TD isnt there to either recruit or develop the next elite FOGO, then what is his purpose?

I have to imagine the staff knows something we don't. Either someone in the portal or someone who will be entering. Maybe Irelan has someone he trains on the side lined up. They can't go into next year with Fine and Gibbs as the only guys.

Crazier things have happened this year but you have to think, even more than any offensive or defensive player, filling this role is the #1 thing the staff is concerned about right now.

Side note: if TD isnt there to either recruit or develop the next elite FOGO, then what is his purpose?

I would be shocked if we didn't add at least one FOGO transfer, stunned even.

I would be shocked if we didn't add at least one FOGO transfer, stunned even.
Definitely. I hope we can attract someone near Phaups level. We will need those extra possessions with very young team. Glass Half Empty, I struggle to see how an elite level guy would want to be our year 2 new coaching staff guinea pig.

Rumor on Fanlax that he is in the portal.
so notwithstanding i don't know whether ivy to ivy is a thing, he'd have to close out anything at an ivy school in 3 years.
that leaves duke, nd, hop if it's academics and a shot. nd he'd be on the bench for one more year. or maybe a host of others if it's more guaranteed pt at a possible contender.

Definitely. I hope we can attract someone near Phaups level. We will need those extra possessions with very young team. Glass Half Empty, I struggle to see how an elite level guy would want to be our year 2 new coaching staff guinea pig.

Ya I could see it being an issue as competition for any high level guy would like be intense even though SU could offer the starting role while a lot of other schools return an established guy. In a worst case scenario I think you have to potentially throw numbers at the situation and hope something sticks. Take a D2 or D3 guy, grab a guy like Joe Neuman from Yale and maybe look for an under the radar recruit or someone who fell through the cracks and hope you strike lightning in a bottle. Also have to hope Fine or Gibbs surprises and one of them can be that #2 guy. Savage not working out was a hit.

so notwithstanding i don't know whether ivy to ivy is a thing, he'd have to close out anything at an ivy school in 3 years.
that leaves duke, nd, hop if it's academics and a shot. nd he'd be on the bench for one more year. or maybe a host of others if it's more guaranteed pt at a possible contender.

ND is bringing in Riccadeli (sp) who is a five star goalie recruit. He may want to look at a sure thing. I have to imagine Hopkins is pretty desperate, seeing as they stuck with Kirson last year so I’m guessing they didn’t like what was behind him. And they don’t bring in any goalie recruits this year.

ND is bringing in Riccadeli (sp) who is a five star goalie recruit. He may want to look at a sure thing. I have to imagine Hopkins is pretty desperate, seeing as they stuck with Kirson last year so I’m guessing they didn’t like what was behind him. And they don’t bring in any goalie recruits this year.
i did say contender as an alternative to academics.
bet would be duke depending on what they and he thinks they have behind adler.

edit: duke has a couple highly regarded young guys in the batter's circle. could be anywhere, i guess. villanova, michigan, ivy direct transfer if that's allowed. or... potential top 10-15 or better team.
g'town's out.
nd probably out.
duke questionable.
uva unc way unlikely.
patriot league has a few good schools but not feeling it. boston? seems like stretch.

Last edited:
If Demopolous is indeed in the portal (haven't been able to confirm that) and he doesn't go to Hop, that's a huge upset. Comparable school to Brown, they need a goalie, and he is a former commit. The question is why did he decommit? Exploring options after the coaching change or did the new staff want to bring in one of their own guys? If the latter, then can't see him going back. But the former opens the door for a return.

Here's the interesting part. It was Dave Pietramala who recruited him to Hopkins in the first place. So Syracuse could be a player here.

Petro also recruited FOGO Joe Neuman to Hopkins before he switched to Yale.

You don't see Ivy to ACC transfers all that often but if they still have a relationship with Petro it could give the Orange an in at two badly needed positions.

If Demopolous is indeed in the portal (haven't been able to confirm that) and he doesn't go to Hop, that's a huge upset. Comparable school to Brown, they need a goalie, and he is a former commit. The question is why did he decommit? Exploring options after the coaching change or did the new staff want to bring in one of their own guys? If the latter, then can't see him going back. But the former opens the door for a return.

Here's the interesting part. It was Dave Pietramala who recruited him to Hopkins in the first place. So Syracuse could be a player here.

Petro also recruited FOGO Joe Neuman to Hopkins before he switched to Yale.

You don't see Ivy to ACC transfers all that often but if they still have a relationship with Petro it could give the Orange an in at two badly needed positions.

Hmmm. Smoke = fire?

Soooo you’re saying we have a shot…..
We gotta make moves, but what does that say for McCool? He's the #1 ranked goalie in the 2022 class and Demo will have 4 years of eligibility. Tough call..

We gotta make moves, but what does that say for McCool? He's the #1 ranked goalie in the 2022 class and Demo will have 4 years of eligibility. Tough call..
Number 1? According to what site? Not arguing at all but IL hasn’t listed a top 100. Outside of the top 10.
And NLF I haven’t looked ina while.

I don't think he's the top ranked goalie. Blind (Harvard), Riccardelli (ND) and Ruppel (Maryland) are all five stars and McCool is a four star. Ruppel and Riccadelli have already been selected for the UA AA game. Blind is highest ranked goalie according to NLF (at #6). McCool looks very promising, we'll just have to wait and see. They might be gun shy going after another keeper with limited NCAA experience after Gavin (who played two games as a frosh for UVA).

Let’s also point out Hopkins is in shambles it seems. Them poster on Fanlax are….well idk what they are.

I dunno man I was here after the Notre Dame and Albany losses, it was pretty brutal. Every fan base has their crazies.

Has Hopkins written all over it

I think Cuse is more likely than Hopkins but I'm just guessing. If the kid really wanted to go to Hopkins he probably would not have decommitted after Petro left. I guess it's always possible he's had second thoughts and now sees a path to start at the place he originally thought he wanted to go to. But the interest has to be mutual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom