2023 Transfer Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

I think this would have been a net positive if Solomon had decided on 'Cuse. I think the general consensus is that Birtwistle and Spallina will be starting along Hiltz at attack next season, and Solomon is a very similar player to Birtwistle. But it would have been nice for another proven DI player to join the Orange. I don't think that is ever a bad thing. Both Solomon and his former UNC teammate Kelly were dismissed by a lot of people when they entered the transfer portal, but they ended up at a really desirable destination in Georgetown.

Whether a midfielder or attackman it would be nice to add another dodger to the group for next season, someone who can take the heat off of Hiltz and Spallina who I imagine will do a lot of the ball handling. Tommy Schelling is a name I'm keeping an eye on. I think he would fit in really well with what SU is trying to do next year.
What is wrong with the 5-star Canadian freshman Finlay Thompson?

Smart move adding TD without question. Just a little extra perk that could move the needle for a guy deciding between a few places. Phaup having a great year while working with him certainly helps. If it is Stathakis that would be slight downgrade from Phaup, but waaay better than most of our other realistic options. Was under 50 against Reilly at GTown and Naso at Duke, but a little above against Ignacio at OSU, who is quite good, and did well against the UNC crew as well.

TD is a coach for Face-off Factory so the connection might be through there and not a Denver/Yale thing. Very curious to see who it is (duh). This really is where Irelan comes in handy, and hopefully this is the tradeoff you get since he cant come to some of the games due to his NLL commitment.

TD is a coach for Face-off Factory so the connection might be through there and not a Denver/Yale thing. Very curious to see who it is (duh). This really is where Irelan comes in handy, and hopefully this is the tradeoff you get since he cant come to some of the games due to his NLL commitment.
What was Neumann at Yale this year?
I remember he was a 5 star coming out of high school.

Wonder if Crawley tries to pull Schelling to JHU? Hopkins' mechanical engineering program is probably pretty strong.

Yes, I think this move would give Hopkins a leg up and I would probably make them the favorites. But you never know and Schelling's been in the portal for a little while now so his destination might already be decided. Hopkins certainly has the need but their outlook next year doesn't look entirely promising.

Normally I would agree but Nicky Solomon isn't really much of a dodging threat and has no prior experience playing midfield or is a guy who you can move to midfield in all honesty. With Kirst already in the fold you already have a finishing type of veteran attackmen in the fold even though Kirst is likely to play midfield. Unless Birtwistle jumps in the portal (hopefully not) I don't see the opening for a finishing type of attackmen. Schelling would make more sense but even then you would have to sit one of Spallina, Hiltz or Birtwistle and bump Leo from the 4th attackmen to 5th. From an offensive standpoint another midfielder might make sense but even then we've already added Simmons and Kirst you would like to have a young guy be it a Rhoa or Kempney or Cordes on that third line with him. Personally I think a guy like Madonna from Hobart would be a good add, could have him play some 1st line and also be the veteran presence on a young second line with Fiorini and probably a young gun.

What is wrong with the 5-star Canadian freshman Finlay Thompson?

The main reason I think they should be adding veteran pieces to the team is that so much of the depth chart right now is occupied with freshmen. I don't think that's a bad thing but this team isn't getting much out of it's junior or senior classes. Using the transfer portal can certainly help fix that. The most intriguing thing to watch this offseason is how comfortable the coaches are with relying on this class. The freshmen will want to play no doubt. If they don't I'm sure we will all start worrying about potential transfers. But they also have to win games, a second year in a row of losing and players might not want to stick around for that either. How the coaches get the best players on the field while also showing the freshmen they are invested in them will be really important.

I'm as excited as anyone to watch Thomson, Spallina, Rhoa, Kempney and Leo. But that's five guys for roughly nine spots on offense, more than half. As good as these guys are I think they'll need veteran influence. Hiltz will obviously provide that but the other players most likely to get playing time this year are Birtwistle (R-SO) and Tyler Cordes (SO). Fiorini and Cook are due to return but they were both underwhelming last year. By adding Simmons and Kirst I think the coaches know they need to supplement their veteran ranks. Another player like Schelling or a similar difference maker I think could still work and make everyone happy. My top nine would look like something like this right now -

Attack: Birtwistle, Hiltz, Spallina
Midfield 1: Simmons, Kirst, Cordes
Midfield 2: Thomson, Rhoa, Leo

Bench: Cook, Fiorini, Kempney, Magnan (?), Ferris

If they were to add one more transfer at attack, Birtwistle could always duck down to midfield, though not sure he would be happy with that. The one thing that gives me pause about this lineup is so many natural attackmen at midfield. I'm also not sure they would want to put all freshmen on the second line. I think that's a pretty strong lineup but you are relying a lot on freshmen still.

Haven't seen much talk of this but Finn Thomson's older brother Hudson, an attackman at Marquette, is in the portal. He has yet to see the field there but was a 4-star recruit coming out of St. Mike's in 2020.

Watson has friends on the Jacksonville team, probably just wants to spend a year hanging with them and hitting the beach while still getting to play competitive lacrosse

Has Maryland written all over it, though Cuse has a chance

Has Maryland written all over it, though Cuse has a chance

From the article -

"Mullins, who had been committed to Maryland before switching to UNC, says that he plans to apply for a medical redshirt and hopes to maintain all four years of eligibility."

He would have to sit behind Weirman next year and maybe another. Weirman is a junior but has only played last year and this year. I guess it depends on how hard he wants to fight for time. I also think given that he was committed to the Terps once probably decreases the chances of him going there.

From the article -

"Mullins, who had been committed to Maryland before switching to UNC, says that he plans to apply for a medical redshirt and hopes to maintain all four years of eligibility."

He would have to sit behind Weirman next year and maybe another. Weirman is a junior but has only played last year and this year. I guess it depends on how hard he wants to fight for time. I also think given that he was committed to the Terps once probably decreases the chances of him going there.

Ya I don't see Maryland as a great fit for Mullins. Assuming he wants to play I don't see him transferring there to sit 2 years behind Weirman. Can't rule it out completely but seems like he would go in a different direction.

From the article -

Could depend on why he ended up de-committing from Maryland in the first place. Also with the uncertainty of injuries and whatnot, just because he would go there doesn't mean he'd never play in the next couple of seasons. Honestly feels like Maryland has built such a strong culture that guys may transfer there just to play for a winner as much as playing time. With all that said I do hope Syracuse is at least reaching out to him.

Yes, I think this move would give Hopkins a leg up and I would probably make them the favorites. But you never know and Schelling's been in the portal for a little while now so his destination might already be decided. Hopkins certainly has the need but their outlook next year doesn't look entirely promising.

The main reason I think they should be adding veteran pieces to the team is that so much of the depth chart right now is occupied with freshmen. I don't think that's a bad thing but this team isn't getting much out of it's junior or senior classes. Using the transfer portal can certainly help fix that. The most intriguing thing to watch this offseason is how comfortable the coaches are with relying on this class. The freshmen will want to play no doubt. If they don't I'm sure we will all start worrying about potential transfers. But they also have to win games, a second year in a row of losing and players might not want to stick around for that either. How the coaches get the best players on the field while also showing the freshmen they are invested in them will be really important.

I'm as excited as anyone to watch Thomson, Spallina, Rhoa, Kempney and Leo. But that's five guys for roughly nine spots on offense, more than half. As good as these guys are I think they'll need veteran influence. Hiltz will obviously provide that but the other players most likely to get playing time this year are Birtwistle (R-SO) and Tyler Cordes (SO). Fiorini and Cook are due to return but they were both underwhelming last year. By adding Simmons and Kirst I think the coaches know they need to supplement their veteran ranks. Another player like Schelling or a similar difference maker I think could still work and make everyone happy. My top nine would look like something like this right now -

Attack: Birtwistle, Hiltz, Spallina
Midfield 1: Simmons, Kirst, Cordes
Midfield 2: Thomson, Rhoa, Leo

Bench: Cook, Fiorini, Kempney, Magnan (?), Ferris

If they were to add one more transfer at attack, Birtwistle could always duck down to midfield, though not sure he would be happy with that. The one thing that gives me pause about this lineup is so many natural attackmen at midfield. I'm also not sure they would want to put all freshmen on the second line. I think that's a pretty strong lineup but you are relying a lot on freshmen still.
In the end, I'm a bit dubious about this.
While it does depend a bit on IL's rankings, it seems to me that usually a highly touted (top 25) Canadian attack recruit will start, if there is an opening for him.
Adding to this, is that Thomson committed to Syracuse last fall, and is thus Gait's guy.

It seems to me that it would be a positive thing to start Spallina, Hiltz, and Thomson together next spring and start building up their chemistry together.

What are you basing that on?

He was originally committed there, he's from not too far away in Virginia, and Tillman loves transfers.

This is not like Mike Sisselberger transferring. This kid was a highly ranked recruit but still completely unproven in college, he's not just going to get to name his school and become the starter. Working as the #2 behind Wierman for two years and then winning the starting job after that for a title contender close-ish to home just makes a lot of sense. From what I've heard, no bad blood between him and the program over the decommit...given he dropped from the UNC roster quickly it sounds like that wasn't the right fit for him.

He was originally committed there, he's from not too far away in Virginia, and Tillman loves transfers.

This is not like Mike Sisselberger transferring. This kid was a highly ranked recruit but still completely unproven in college, he's not just going to get to name his school and become the starter. Working as the #2 behind Wierman for two years and then winning the starting job after that for a title contender close-ish to home just makes a lot of sense. From what I've heard, no bad blood between him and the program over the decommit...given he dropped from the UNC roster quickly it sounds like that wasn't the right fit for him.
I meant the Syracuse part

The decommit and then recommit to a school you flipped from is a pretty rare occurrence no? Guess it wouldn't surprise me if MD pulled it off. Nobody knows why he left UNC? Seems like a red flag but if it truly was for a medical reason then I guess no harm done.

I meant the Syracuse part

Just purely due to Cuse's obvious need for FO talent. If the primary concern is a path to immediate playing time then there aren't many legit options better than the Orange. Ohio State could use one with Inacio and Blanchard both gone. Rutgers always needs one. That's about it though. As far as I know, Duke, ND, UVA, Hop, GTown, Denver, Michigan all are bringing their top FOGOs back. Penn State would be another option but they are already bringing in the kid from Providence though that probably won't stop Tambroni from adding more.

Maryland doesn't really get many recruits from those private schools out
in the middle of Virginia. So I was a little surprised that he was on Maryland's recruits list, and then not terribly surprised when he dropped off it.
Maybe he'll stay near home and go to Richmond. Seems like everyone is going to Georgetown this year.

Jacksonville’s campus is absolutely beautiful was there two weeks ago(was working in florida and decided to go check it out one day kill time on weekend) and after the decent year they had, be great place for any player. Another good place is tampa u which is in finals for D2. But besides being decent lax schools the atomosphere is just relaxing and fun. Plus tho I’m married but for single guy or someone who just like gorgeous things to look at there is a lot to see down there.

Grant he’s attackman and haven’t caught many bryant games but numbers stand point are good so what bout going after logan mcgovern ?

Melendez can play. One of the best attackmen out of the MIAA in recent years. I believe an IL top 60 or 70 recruit. He has dealt with some injuries but puts points on the board when healthy. Don't know much about the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom