2023 Transfer Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

I don't think we are saying anything here the coaching staff isn't well aware of. I HAVE to believe there is a game plan here. They are all experienced and smart enough to know that coaching and development will only take you so far. You need to have talent, self-will, and grit to succeed at this position...these are near impossible to coach into someone. I think (based on no actual factual evidence) that at some point we will be pleasantly surprised by a transfer than can contribute right away (Not Richiusa). Hopefully they are working on someone behind closed doors.

Either that or next season is gonna be very rough.

Interesting note...during March time at Princeton, they had no true face off guy, Currier took almost every draw. In Petros last few seasons at Hop they struggled at the X...maybe the staff doesnt truly believe in the positional need? Crazy but worth noting.

Also. I saw Sisselberger in Lake Placid. People were asking him about a return to college lacrosse. Not happening.

As much as it pains me to say it I wouldn't bet my fortune or life that there is a game plan at FOGO beyond the obvious. Gait and Petro are not dumb and Petro has a track record of prior success at Hop but last year showed that they are far from infallible. They didn't appear to be a plan in place to address the close D problems, goalie issue and the continued issues with substitutions and off sides penalties including I believe 5 versus Albany well into the later part of the schedule. Now again I am not saying the face off unit will be as bad as goalie was last year but right now the only option that appears remotely viable is rolling exclusively with Richiusa which while not a bad thing would mean him taking 95% of the draws like Phaup which is a recipe for an injury or breakdown.

The staff has two FOGO's coming in next year and I have heard they are really high on Mullen. However, that isn't going to do us much good this spring. Maybe Gibbs and Richiusa form a nice 1-2 Combo that can get us around 50% or above but it's hard not to look at the current situation and feel that Richiusa is likely the only incoming addition beyond Gibbs. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will jump in the portal during the fall and we have a situation similar to the UVA goalie last year but that seems more like wishful thinking at this point.

In regards to Petro, he usually had a pretty good FOGO in his time at Hop. If I recall correctly his main guy the last few years struggled big time with injuries which played a role in their struggles.

not sure where you guys are getting the hop struggled at faceoffs under petro thing. in his last three years they were 53%, 54%, and 58%. petro has a very good history of recruiting fogos including matt dolente, drew kennedy, hunter moreland, kyle prouty, and matt narewski.

zusi going to duke could end up hurting in more ways than one

i do think the incoming freshman is probably better than people here are giving him credit for. he's big for a fogo and pretty athletic

Dead on. We can't risk a top recruit and what could be a legendary attack line standing around. and we don't have a proven goalie ready to face 40 shots a game. The transfer epidemic is only getting worse and we're already in a precarious position.

I keep hoping to GG and Co have something up their proverbial sleeves, but the closer we get to the fall, the more I'm relegating myself to the fact that this isn't likely the case. I still have PTSD from attending the 2013 championship game and this is not helping...
i was at that game and in my home town, while also against one of the two teams i absolutely can’t stand (duke/maryland) and had to watch all duke fans scream victory against cuse in my homeland . Still have nightmares bout that game.

Well let’s not forget even if do have two fogos who were good doesn’t mean would play both. As saw last year even when phaup struggled(wasn’t a lot) but they never really used anyone else but phaup. Even if did they throw guy in cold n if didn’t win their only faceoff never used him again. Fogo some just dominate right away even going in cold but some need few reps in game to get going.

unc added brown's best defenseman, andrew geppert, as a grad transfer. solid under the radar addition

they are bringing in 6 guys in total. going to be a completely different team in '23. they really need dom petro or one of these other underclassmen to pop right away or it could be another long year for the heelz

unc added brown's best defenseman, andrew geppert, as a grad transfer. solid under the radar addition

they are bringing in 6 guys in total. going to be a completely different team in '23. they really need dom petro or one of these other underclassmen to pop right away or it could be another long year for the heelz

Here is roster - sadly dreams of Dom Petro magically ending up on the 2023 Syracuse roster seem to be dashed. Door is always open Dom!

Here is roster - sadly dreams of Dom Petro magically ending up on the 2023 Syracuse roster seem to be dashed. Door is always open Dom!

No Cole Herbert, and McGovern has taken his #1.
Tyeryar is the only experienced FO man (.513 pct last year).
Shertzingers are back for graduate years.

Still haven't heard anything on Connel Kumar (UVa) or Cole Herbert (UNC). Both UA AAs a few years back.
You'd think if Herbert were playing football, he would show up on a football roster somewhere. Perhaps, he is just walking on though.

cole herbert to towson

st. bonnies 40-goal scorer jackson rose to marquette

i haven't heard anything about uva's kumar. someone knows something

Well, I was wrong about this one. Looks like he's returning to Lehigh.

Not surprised, him forgoing his Sr year for wrestling made zero sense. Surprised he didn't end up elsewhere but good to see him play his last year of lax.

Not surprised, him forgoing his Sr year for wrestling made zero sense. Surprised he didn't end up elsewhere but good to see him play his last year of lax.
Yeah.. we all wanted him to play “somewhere else”…. Lmao

Lehigh’s traditionally strongest program is wrestling. It has produced many All Americans and a few Olympic hopefuls. For a small Patriot League school, it competes against DI elite regularly.

I suspect it made sense for Sisselberger who grew up wrestling in PA (not unlike growing up playing lax in CNY).

They regularly wrestle against Iowa, Penn St and many of the DI behemoths. Lehigh lacrosse might play one or two big name lax programs each year - not saying Patriot League lax is poor, just slightly below the elite level.

Interesting. that pretty much ends the transfer portal for this year unless there is late movement during the fall. Brown had a starting attackman with 32 goals (Antonelli) enter the portal who would help someone out but other than that i think things are just about done

also interesting how little maryland did (relatively speaking). they are putting a lot of trust in the guys they have. they will be good, probably the favorites, but not nearly as good as last season.

Interesting. that pretty much ends the transfer portal for this year unless there is late movement during the fall. Brown had a starting attackman with 32 goals (Antonelli) enter the portal who would help someone out but other than that i think things are just about done

also interesting how little maryland did (relatively speaking). they are putting a lot of trust in the guys they have. they will be good, probably the favorites, but not nearly as good as last season.
The Terps do have a pretty good group of upperclassman: Long, Brennan, Maltz, Murphy, Malever, J.Koras, and D.Kelly on offense.
It is fair to note that like recruiting, getting transfers is fickle. That is, you might offer to some guy but he might choose another school. Secondly, this year's group of transfers didn't seem to have a lot of outstanding offensive players.

Ohio State has the strongest NIL collective of all lacrosse playing schools. Expect them to always be active in the transfer market going forward. They are paying big money for football and basketball, and good money for lacrosse difference makers..

Winners of the transfer portal. Cuse at 5, is it to low?

5. Syracuse

• Joe Bolea, SSDM, Kenyon
  • Cole Kirst, A/M, Lehigh
  • Will Mark, G, LIU
  • Jake Murphy, SSDM, LIU
  • Johnny Richiusa, FO, Canisius
  • Alex Simmons, A/M, Denver
The Orange’s incoming freshman class is the best in the land. The transfer group is solid, too. Will Mark, one of several LIU players who were in the portal this offseason, has been practicing in the fall but must wait until spring to be fully eligible. He could be the starting netminder. Alex Simmons has a proven track record with the Pioneers, and Johnny Richiusa provides some needed face-off help. Cole Kirst bolsters offensive depth while pursuing his desired degree at the prestigious Newhouse School.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom