2024 bowl projections thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2024 bowl projections thread

College Football News

View attachment 244651
I am pretty sure if SU gets an invite to the Pinstripe, there will be other options and if nothing else, the players will want to go elsewhere.

Now Coach Fran might want to go there but I have to believe given the desires of the players and the fanbase, we will not be going to The Bronx this season.

I am pretty sure if SU gets an invite to the Pinstripe, there will be other options and if nothing else, the players will want to go elsewhere.

Now Coach Fran might want to go there but I have to believe given the desires of the players and the fanbase, we will not be going to The Bronx this season.
How many wins do you think we need to ensure we do better than the pinstripe? Nine?

How many wins do you think we need to ensure we do better than the pinstripe? Nine?
It will largely depend on if the ACC gets any at-large bids to the playoff. The conference champion will get an automatic bid, so that’s at least one. If we are at 9-3 and the ACC gets one at-large bid, I would think that we’ll be in a better bowl than the Pinstripe.

IMG_0700.jpeg

It will largely depend on if the ACC gets any at-large bids to the playoff. The conference champion will get an automatic bid, so that’s at least one. If we are at 9-3 and the ACC gets one at-large bid, I would think that we’ll be in a better bowl than the Pinstripe.

View attachment 244657
And with ND likely not heading to the CFP, that will bump all ACC teams under them down one bowl in the pecking order.

I think three through seven is hard to distinguish because some have played easier schedules and others have played poorly though expected to be better. The good news is, I don’t think any of those teams have a better offense than Georgia Tech.
BC is three because it is the only school ranked in top 25 among the four. Cal is four because the record is 2-0 including a win against Auburn on the road. Pittsburgh is 2-0 including a road win against Big 12 school thus five. NC state struggled on the first two games including mediocre home court win against a FCS team then got blown up on the second game, thus six. The four teams actually are not that close to each other. There are some separation among them.

I agree with you. But I have to say, selfishly I'd like this because it's a fun time and we're already on Long Island that time of the year.

But for the sake of other fans and the team itself I hope it's something different. Not to mention of course I think we can reach higher than that this year.

If we don't make the playoffs, then just give me one Duke's Mayo/Belk/Meineke Car Care/Continental Tire Bowl please.

Would love to see how we show out in the crowd in Charlotte.

First off, I think the Pinstripe is surprisingly high up on the list of ACC bowl games for desirabillity.

The payout is suirprisingly competitive. If the only goal is to make money (and I think it gets shared with the rest of the conference to some degree anyway), the Pinstripe ranks high. I think they put the teams up in a nice hotel and give the players cool stuff to do like sight see in NYC and attend Rangers or Knicks games. And then there is the mystique of playing in Yankee Stadium. A lot of teams in the ACC want in.

Here are the payouts for ACC bowls last season as per Hokie Mark:

Fenway unannounced but you can bet it is low
Birmingham Rat Bowl $1,374,545
Military $2,066,990
Pinstripe $4,400,000
Sun $4,550,000
Mayo $4,780,461
Gator $5,350,000
Pop-Tarts (Orlando) $6,071,760
Holiday $6,532,700
Reliaquest* $7,000,000
Orange $27,500,000

*=shared bowl

Without knowing anything, I doubt we would be really excited about going to El Paso for the Sun or evne the Holiday in San Diego given we will have already been out West twice during the regular season.

I think we would love to get the Gator or the Pop-Tarts bowl. Assuming we have a good year, our fanbase would travel to either of those locations in large numbers.

Regarding number of wins to get into the Pinstripe, I believe there have been a number of teams from the ACC get a bid to it with only 7 wins. Including Syracuse. I am sure they would prefer to get a team with at least 8 wins.

BC hasn't been to the Pinstripe since 2017 and Pitt not since 2016. Neither have reputations for traveling well and both will be unattractive to bowls in southern locations for that reason. Good chance one of them gets this bowl. It is awful early, but my money is on BC.

There will always be some reluctance for a bowl in southern location to take Syracuse (less than for Pitt or BC) so all things being equal, they will take programs like VT, NC State, UNC, Clemson, Miami, FSU or UL over us. And ND.

We probably need 9 wins to get serious consideration for bowls with a bigger payout than the Pinstripe. A lot depends on the other schools in the ACC we will be competing with for bowl bids. This is why it is really important to win games against these schools head to head. A 4-4 record in the ACC is not going to cut it. I think we probably need to get at least 5-3 in ACC play and 4-0 OOC to get one of these bids.

But it has already been a crazy season and I expect this will continue all year. Buckle up; this is going to be an interesting ride!

Source: 2023-24 Bowl Payouts

This is what I ranked the degree pf difficulty for our ACC schedule:
1 Miami
2 Georgia Tech (done)
3 @ BC
4 @ Cal
5 @ Pitt
6 @ NC State
7 Virginia Tech
8 Stanford

I expect SU to lose 1, 3 and 4 and finish 9-3 this season. But 3 and 4 are very close to the toss-up. If we get lucky, we can pass BC and Cal and finish 11-1. There is a chance we can become ACC No. 2 and get a playoff bid in that case.
We are not losing to BC.

We are not losing to BC.
We are better than BC but they have the home court advantage. And their new coach is not bad. BC should finish in the top six of ACC.

First off, I think the Pinstripe is surprisingly high up on the list of ACC bowl games for desirabillity.

The payout is suirprisingly competitive. If the only goal is to make money (and I think it gets shared with the rest of the conference to some degree anyway), the Pinstripe ranks high. I think they put the teams up in a nice hotel and give the players cool stuff to do like sight see in NYC and attend Rangers or Knicks games. And then there is the mystique of playing in Yankee Stadium. A lot of teams in the ACC want in.

Here are the payouts for ACC bowls last season as per Hokie Mark:

Fenway unannounced but you can bet it is low
Birmingham Rat Bowl $1,374,545
Military $2,066,990
Pinstripe $4,400,000
Sun $4,550,000
Mayo $4,780,461
Gator $5,350,000
Pop-Tarts (Orlando) $6,071,760
Holiday $6,532,700
Reliaquest* $7,000,000
Orange $27,500,000

*=shared bowl

Without knowing anything, I doubt we would be really excited about going to El Paso for the Sun or evne the Holiday in San Diego given we will have already been out West twice during the regular season.

I think we would love to get the Gator or the Pop-Tarts bowl. Assuming we have a good year, our fanbase would travel to either of those locations in large numbers.

Regarding number of wins to get into the Pinstripe, I believe there have been a number of teams from the ACC get a bid to it with only 7 wins. Including Syracuse. I am sure they would prefer to get a team with at least 8 wins.

BC hasn't been to the Pinstripe since 2017 and Pitt not since 2016. Neither have reputations for traveling well and both will be unattractive to bowls in southern locations for that reason. Good chance one of them gets this bowl. It is awful early, but my money is on BC.

There will always be some reluctance for a bowl in southern location to take Syracuse (less than for Pitt or BC) so all things being equal, they will take programs like VT, NC State, UNC, Clemson, Miami, FSU or UL over us. And ND.

We probably need 9 wins to get serious consideration for bowls with a bigger payout than the Pinstripe. A lot depends on the other schools in the ACC we will be competing with for bowl bids. This is why it is really important to win games against these schools head to head. A 4-4 record in the ACC is not going to cut it. I think we probably need to get at least 5-3 in ACC play and 4-0 OOC to get one of these bids.

But it has already been a crazy season and I expect this will continue all year. Buckle up; this is going to be an interesting ride!

Source: 2023-24 Bowl Payouts
Gatorbowl - I’m camping in Mark’s backyard.

We are not losing to BC.
Going back to 1990 SU is 8-4 @ BC. Went in 1990, beautiful day, Rob Carpenter went off. blew them out 35-6. It was a SU home game in the second half. 92 all time classic, large SU contingent, both teams were very good, down right cold evening. Marvin took SU 97 yds for the clinching TD if I’m not mistaken.

This is shaping up to be a very meaningful game with some story lines.

We are better than BC but they have the home court advantage. And their new coach is not bad. BC should finish in the top six of ACC.
We almost always beat them up there, except for Red Bandana Day that stadium is not remotely intimidating. Fortunately that is Michigan State’s problem in two weeks, not ours

I think we are better too. If we can bottle up their quarterback like we did King, I don’t know if they have enough to beat us. King is a better thrower than costellanos, and I think Georgia tech’s weapons on offense are much better than BCs.

BC is three because it is the only school ranked in top 25 among the four. Cal is four because the record is 2-0 including a win against Auburn on the road. Pittsburgh is 2-0 including a road win against Big 12 school thus five. NC state struggled on the first two games including mediocre home court win against a FCS team then got blown up on the second game, thus six. The four teams actually are not that close to each other. There are some separation among them.
Not saying you’re wrong, but in five weeks when we play the first one of these teams, things might look very different.