2024 bowl projections thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2024 bowl projections thread

Never heard anyone say they were exhibition games. They go on your record, an exhibition game wouldn’t. And they count for the final rankings which an exhibition wouldn’t.
Fans who think that the only thing that matters is making the playoffs, or the seasons is a waste, think they are “exhibition games”. People who think the 1 in 1000 chance of a career ending injury is a good reason to bail on the other 100 teammates who want to win, think it’s an “exhibition”.

every one else thinks it counts, it is a great way to rep your school, make lasting memories for you and your fans, and go out a winner.

The culture at Georgia where everyone played and crushed FSU like a bug in the “meaningless bowl” is the winning “culture” some will never understand.

Fans who think that the only thing that matters is making the playoffs, or the seasons is a waste, think they are “exhibition games”. People who think the 1 in 1000 chance of a career ending injury is a good reason to bail on the other 100 teammates who want to win, think it’s an “exhibition”.

every one else thinks it counts, it is a great way to rep your school, make lasting memories for you and your fans, and go out a winner.

The culture at Georgia where everyone played and crushed FSU like a bug in the “meaningless bowl” is the winning “culture” some will never understand.
Someone get this man a fine drink and some fancy treats.

I hope he will play for Fran but who knows.

I absolutely would hope so too, especially if we made the playoffs. But these are different times now. More and more players who are either going to transfer or entering the draft won’t risk injury playing in a bowl.

Nobody used to minimize bowl games no matter how lowly the bowl game was. But the team you watched all season and rooted for was also the team that showed up to play in the bowl game, against another team fielding the same roster they had all year. Barring injury.

That is not true anymore by any means. Even last years bowl game was a great example of that. Does it count……. sure, as far as a number is changed in your W/L column afterwards. Is it a game that matters as much as a regular season game? Not even close. Bowl games used to be your teams playoff or Super Bowl game to end the season. We’re light years away from the bowl games being that anymore.

I don’t believe they’re an exhibition game, they’re a really early spring game played against another school.

1st round picks Brock Bowers and Amarius Mims didn't play in the meaningless bowl game.

I'm assuming by "everyone" you didn't include the guaranteed 1st rd picks for a reason?

Nobody used to minimize bowl games no matter how lowly the bowl game was. But the team you watched all season and rooted for was also the team that showed up to play in the bowl game, against another team fielding the same roster they had all year. Barring injury.

That is not true anymore by any means. Even last years bowl game was a great example of that. Does it count……. sure, as far as a number is changed in your W/L column afterwards. Is it a game that matters as much as a regular season game? Not even close. Bowl games used to be your teams playoff or Super Bowl game to end the season. We’re light years away from the bowl games being that anymore.

I don’t believe they’re an exhibition game, they’re a really early spring game played against another school.
They are to me qdawgg, they are to me.

1st round picks Brock Bowers and Amarius Mims didn't play in the meaningless bowl game.

I'm assuming by "everyone" you didn't include the guaranteed 1st rd picks for a reason?
Lots of pros played. Bowers had injury concerns from the year. Just making a comparison vs the FSU culture. Georgia wanted to prove they were great. FSU too much “me first” culture. Maybe I’m too old school, but Its sad what’s happened to bowls and great when kids decide they aren’t meaningless and do feel they have something to play for even if some fans disagree.

Lots of pros played. Bowers had injury concerns from the year. Just making a comparison vs the FSU culture. Georgia wanted to prove they were great. FSU too much “me first” culture. Maybe I’m too old school, but Its sad what’s happened to bowls and great when kids decide they aren’t meaningless and do feel they have something to play for even if some fans disagree.
Yeah I get the overall message, but it's not really making sense.

Georgia wanted to prove they were great, but multiple players didn't play. "Injuries concerns", yet both played the SEC championship game.

It's not adding up. Again, I get your point, but the idea players won't sit out at UGA because of culture just isn't true.

Most FSU players sat because they felt screwed by the playoff system. I think you are kind of shoehorning this specific case into your point.

Yeah I get the overall message, but it's not really making sense.

Georgia wanted to prove they were great, but multiple players didn't play. "Injuries concerns", yet both played the SEC championship game.

It's not adding up. Again, I get your point, but the idea players won't sit out at UGA because of culture just isn't true.

Most FSU players sat because they felt screwed by the playoff system. I think you are kind of shoehorning this specific case into your point.
I should not have said ”all” you are correct. Georgia was still alive in the sec championship game. (I could be wrong but bowers had been playing hurt), and I’m sure would have continued if they won.

In the weeks up to the game it was obvious Georgia took more pride in showing up and representing than FSU. Their statements before the game back that up. Georgia was also arguably one of the four best teams in the country, and better than FSU, and you could make an argument that they got screwed too . My point is developing a winning culture is a real thing. I believe too many Florida State guys viewed themselves as mercenaries and when things didn’t go their they way had less loyalty, or love of their team, teammates, or school, than Georgia did. It’s not a FSU-Georgia thing, just an example many would be familiar with.

I do understand the times have changed, but the seasons we beat Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia and Colorado to name a few, in big bowls, those bowl games were the most consequential wins of the year. Even in 87, where Penn State and West Virginia were two of the biggest wins in history, actually beating Auburn, (even though we were not going to win the championship) would’ve been even more consequential.

so yes, bowl games aren’t what they used to, but its sad to me that 98% of the players who want to play, and the fan bases who want to see the games are getting a watered down products, experience, opportunity, etc. because of the 2% Of key players opting out.

A lot of it is a generational thing. My son is a college aged athlete. loved to compete since he was a little kid in all sports, but, the way he and his friends think is 180° from how we used to. They throw out the term “meaningless“ when ever they lose anything.

I think winning is always better than losing, and competing is character building.

The excess of bowl games has severely diluted them imo. 6-6 teams should not be playing in bowl games.

We also seem to play the same few teams when we do make it. It would be a lot cooler if we played like a UCLA or Oregon State or BYU.