A bad trend is starting... | Syracusefan.com

A bad trend is starting...

corpjet

Board Prophet
with the schools top kids not playing in bowl games...this isn't a good thing...

Now as I have stated in another thread this bowl season already doesn't have any buzz but let me add

1. The Playoffs are taking the "luster" off of the other bowls...with CUSE out of it, Im just looking forward to the Final 4 games New Years Day

2. Yes any bowl at this point of our beloved CUSE football program is heaven

3. Sam Darnold severely hurt his draft stock last night (was it because tOSU good defense had 30 days to prepare for him or is he not that good?)

now going back to the title of this thread...hypothetically what would we do if Eric Dungey said no thanks I'm not playing in a bowl and want to get ready for the draft...

This is a bad, bad , trend that is starting and Im afraid its only going to snowball...

Last edited:
Someone break it down for me. How does skipping a bowl game in Dec/early Jan. help a player get ready for the draft in April?

Yeah, I don’t know why he said it that way.

It’s 110% about avoiding a major injury.

Exactly. It's about avoiding a Northwestern QB Clayton Thorson situation. Even though he's a JR, the point still stands.

Yeah, I don’t know why he said it that way.

It’s 110% about avoiding a major injury.

Yeah, I thought maybe I was missing something.

There is no way particular players could be required to play. No one would be happy anyway in that scenario. They would have to reward players with cash or prizes for exceptional performances. Maybe not legal in NCAA? Maybe invite NFL teams to hold combines in the same location the week of the game? I am grasping at straws ...

It’s a great way for a someone to show a potential employer that he’s a team player.

Either his teammates come back with game souvenirs, maybe even a ring, or he’s left wondering if his absence cost his brothers (most of whom won’t be playing after college) a chance at victory.

After Jake Butt's injury last year, I'm surprised anyone would question why an NFL pick would sit out a meaningless game. Especially a game that puts no money in that player's pocket and generally can only negatively impact that player's future earnings through injury.

The same thing is happening in the NFL right now (look at the Giants), except those dudes are being paid the big bucks to play.

How long before insurance policies are purchased to cover these athletes in bowl games?

I view this similarly to top flight talent forced to stay in school due to NFL eligibility requirements.

Seems like an easy cash grab for insurance companies especially considering the obscene levels of cash thrown around the game.

How long before insurance policies are purchased to cover these athletes in bowl games?

I view this similarly to top flight talent forced to stay in school due to NFL eligibility requirements.

Seems like an easy cash grab for insurance companies especially considering the obscene levels of cash thrown around the game.
That already happens. For those who can afford it. Or for those who have someone to foot the bill...

Someone break it down for me. How does skipping a bowl game in Dec/early Jan. help a player get ready for the draft in April?

Agreed. And why just skip the bowl game if you're worried about hurting your draft prospects? Why not just skip games in October and November too? Football is a violent game, you can get hurt. You can get hurt in practice too. Hell Sidney Jones of Washington tore his achilles at his pro day.

I think it's really bad when a QB skips a bowl game. he's the leader of the team. I wouldn't draft that guy if I were an NFL GM and I'd think twice if it were any other position player as well.

You don’t skip in October because those games count. You skip in late December for exhibition games. The same way a coach wouldn’t go for it on 4th and 6 in October but will in the Tax Slayer Bowl.

And you’re insane if you think a good GM is passing on top 10 talent because he chose to skip the bowl game.

I love all the "well if I were a GM I wouldn't draft such and such" chest puffing out that goes on whenever this topic comes up. Guess what? You aren't a GM and never will be a GM. But seriously, go on and tell us how you'd draft. We're so interested.

I can say that real, actual GM's who build teams for a living and whose jobs depend upon their success don't seem to have a problem with the practice - at least judging by the top 10 selections of McCaffery and Fournette. It's almost like NFL GM's can distinguish between players choosing to sit out a glorified exhibition game players who supposedly quit on their teams.

What if seniors got a cut of the cash from any Bowl Game they played in? Encourage guys to stick around, no concerns about eligibility anymore.

That already happens. For those who can afford it. Or for those who have someone to foot the bill...

I know big time players forced to return to school frequently get coverage but I wasn’t aware that players are getting insured for bowl appearances because they decide to go pro after the season.

Doesn’t surprise me that this already happening. And to your point I wonder how the non-SEC guys can afford the premium.

I’m no actuary (and I didn’t sleep in a holiday inn last night) so I wonder how much coverage costs for one bowl game vs a whole season.

Agreed. And why just skip the bowl game if you're worried about hurting your draft prospects? Why not just skip games in October and November too? Football is a violent game, you can get hurt. You can get hurt in practice too. Hell Sidney Jones of Washington tore his achilles at his pro day.

I think it's really bad when a QB skips a bowl game. he's the leader of the team. I wouldn't draft that guy if I were an NFL GM and I'd think twice if it were any other position player as well.
why even chance driving to the 7-11 for a slurpie. just shut yourself inside and lock the door you big wuss !
i find this trend insulting to your team, your university and your fans.

why even chance driving to the 7-11 for a slurpie. just shut yourself inside and lock the door you big wuss !
i find this trend insulting to your team, your university and your fans.
But the team, the fans, and the University, are not paying Jake Butt the millions he lost out on. So what does he get for being loyal? He gets an injury that drops him into the fifth round, and misses out on what may be his only payday. At some point, the player has to think about securing a life changing amount of money that can secure his own future, and secure the futures of his kids, and his kids kids.

and just how many players suffer career ending injuries in bowl games ? more likely to be involved in a car accident before the draft is my point .

w

3. Sam Darnold severely hurt his draft stock last night (was it because tOSU good defense had 30 days to prepare for him or is he not that good?)
On the other hand, Darnold's performance in last year's Rose Bowl game elevated his stature (at least in the eyes of many east coast fans).

The other side of not playing is how it impacts your teammates. I suspect many of them would say that they understand their star QB/RB not playing, but it still must be a huge disappointment after busting your butt to make it to a bowl.

This seems like the feasible solution. The bowls could allocate some money to single game insurance payments if they want the talent to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom