A little perspective | Syracusefan.com

A little perspective

mgurtz79

Walk On
I read this board and I am amazed how quickly people change and how unhappy people are. This article hopefully gives people a little perspective.

More excuses. How does not having a football facility effect us blowing games to Rutgers and UCONN this year? What does that have to do with terrible special teams play all season long? Please explain.

Does our lack of facilities hurt the program in a big picture, sure. Nobody will deny that.Is it why SU lost a bunch of games this year...NO! We lost because of horrible in-game decisions and questionable to downright bad playcalling.

Nobody expects national titles or conference championships in Syracuse. But asking for 6 wins and to go to one of the crappy bowls isn't asking for the moon. And when you are 5-2 and playing in the worst football conference in the land, and DON'T reach that incredibly low set bar...yeah I can understand why people are "unhappy", mad, if not downright pissed off!

Yes, we know SU needs a football complex to compete. But that is NOT an excuse for this season being an utter failure on every level. And if fans weren't "unhappy" as you say, or upset,mad, or pissed I would worry about our fanbase. Because if they aren't mad at how this season played out, then they clearly don't care. I a glad people care enough to be "unhappy!"

More excuses. How does not having a football facility effect us blowing games to Rutgers and UCONN this year? What does that have to do with terrible special teams play all season long? Please explain.

Does our lack of facilities hurt the program in a big picture, sure. Nobody will deny that.Is it why SU lost a bunch of games this year...NO! We lost because of horrible in-game decisions and questionable to downright bad playcalling.

Nobody expects national titles or conference championships in Syracuse. But asking for 6 wins and to go to one of the crappy bowls isn't asking for the moon. And when you are 5-2 and playing in the worst football conference in the land, and DON'T reach that incredibly low set bar...yeah I can understand why people are "unhappy", mad, if not downright pissed off!

Yes, we know SU needs a football complex to compete. But that is NOT an excuse for this season being an utter failure on every level. And if fans weren't "unhappy" as you say, or upset,mad, or pissed I would worry about our fanbase. Because if they aren't mad at how this season played out, then they clearly don't care. I a glad people care enough to be "unhappy!"
Did you read the article?

Doug has been getting flamed for his recruiting recently and how that has translated to the product on the field.

It is not an excuse it is trying to put things in perspective and compares the total commitment to the program by the University to other like universities 2 of which we will be competeing with soon, and unrealistic expectations IMHO

Did you read the article?

Doug has been getting flamed for his recruiting recently and how that has translated to the product on the field.

It is not an excuse it is trying to put things in perspective and compares the total commitment to the program by the University to other like universities 2 of which we will be competeing with soon, and unrealistic expectations IMHO

6 wins and a bowl is an unrealistic expectation? WOW!

Gotta agree with Stern on this one. The article's basic premise is that facilities hurt recruiting. But we had a 4-2 record going into the worst conference in and the best we could do is 1 stinkin win? If these coaches can't coax two conference wins from this mess of a conference, then why bother?

Days after the loss, I am still as dejected at the epic failure of this team. Even at the depths of GRob, I don't think I was ever as ready to throw in the towel as I am now.

This team doesn't deserve my support.

"We lost because of horrible in-game decisions and questionable to downright bad playcalling".

Here's the problem, Stern. The statement you made above is false. It's wrong. And its the basis for your criticism.

I doesn't take a lot of imagination to watch a running play get stuffed and then to say "We shoulda passed!"

SU's problems this year were primarily due to execution of the plays (especially dropped passes) and to penalties and turnovers. If SU had been average in these three areas, we would have had three more wins.

"We lost because of horrible in-game decisions and questionable to downright bad playcalling".

Here's the problem, Stern. The statement you made above is false. It's wrong. And its the basis for your criticism.

I doesn't take a lot of imagination to watch a running play get stuffed and then to say "We shoulda passed!"

SU's problems this year were primarily due to execution of the plays (especially dropped passes) and to penalties and turnovers. If SU had been average in these three areas, we would have had three more wins.
we lost because our defense was middle of the road and offense was in the bottom quartile.

yards will tell you the story in the end most of the time. we can bemoan this or that fumble, but in the end the record reflects the yards gained and allowed.

i think a new qb could make up a lot of the difference with his legs and an occasional deep pass.

everyone flips about offensive line penalties, but , there are lots more chances for drive killing penalties when you need every drive to be 28 plays

You could give a long list of problems or excuses -- when you lose 5 in a row there are a lot of explanations.
"Execution of plays" isn't much of a description is it, though? You could equally say we weren't very fast, strong or good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom