A lot this comes down to Carey | Syracusefan.com

A lot this comes down to Carey

Wrinkle

Tyrolian Cat Eater
Pretty much every player other than Carey is who we expected them to be. Sure, we were hoping for more from Guerrier and Goodine, but the season is not yet written for them. Girard is better than most expected.

But Carey was the critical piece, the type of guard we've needed for some time. Imagine if he was giving us 15 and 5. Surely we would've lost a couple of these games, but we'd be a very different team.

Not blaming anybody for this, but in my mind a lot of the season always hinged on him taking a leap.

We are not dead yet, conference is weak and I expect us to improve.

His offense matters less than defense. This team is bad because the defense is atrocious. Historically bad. He was good at the top of the zone.
I don't think that the team felt like they could play aggressive defense yesterday with the way the refs were calling the game. They were called for a lot of ticky tack stuff and it gave Gtown 22 more free throws already, which decided the game.

didn't listen to the presser, but do we think there will be repercussions from the trip?

not sure jalen carey was handled well by the staff.

not only that, but they broke his thumb!
e346b321ec2060ceb9e69fa0eab178ef.jpg.cf.jpg

It’s a mystery to me this run the program seems to be on where we get dudes just can’t seem to play at this level. Joseph, Moyer, Carey, Goodine, Guerrier, Sidibe, dejuan Coleman (injuries), Chukwu (about 50% of the time), to name a few. Obviously we have hit on a few as well but the misses have really hurt us.

The zone should get better as the guys get use to it and get time playing together.
i believe the coach himself said that would take about 20 games if i remember correctly.

I’m hopeful that Buddy’s footspeed and Girards height can increase as the season progresses.

Buddy is a real puzzle to me this year. He's definitely slower playing than he did last year. Makes no sense, and he seems to have lost his ability to 'expect' where the player or pass is going that I saw from him last year. He's DEFINITELY worse at zone than he was last year.

I’m hopeful that Buddy’s footspeed and Girards height can increase as the season progresses.
Buddy is still maturing, so he could get quicker. JG3 has to make up on offense what he gives up on d. I think that was the coaches calculus.

My only problem with Buddy is that he won’t get his nose dirty. He doesn’t come up with loose balls and his effort rebounding is unacceptable. I don‘t think he even sweats. He’s the least physical player on the roster and that’s saying a lot when you look who’s on this team.

Playing Virginia the first game really screwed this team up. That game killed Carey.
It's now apparent UVA is going to make almost everyone look pathetic offensively.
If we played a tomato can JB doesn't give Girard the keys after 2 games.
Carey may not be a superstar but we could use his athleticism defensively.

The zone should get better as the guys get use to it and get time playing together.

I dont think its lack of knowledge playing the zone as I think JG and BB very smart players and seem to move where needed, i think it's pure athleticism, they're not quick enough and dont jump high enough. Any improvements at the top of the zone by them I'm guessing will be extremely minimal.

I dont think its lack of knowledge playing the zone as I think JG and BB very smart players and seem to move where needed, i think it's pure athleticism, they're not quick enough and dont jump high enough. Any improvements at the top of the zone by them I'm guessing will be extremely minimal.
The zone plays as a unit. Any doubt or uncertainty slows it down and lowers effectiveness. It has to be second nature with no thinking involved just reaction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom