ACC Football Kickoff: July 20-21 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Football Kickoff: July 20-21

Babers asked about what new coaches Robert Anae, Jason Beck have done already with the program. Mentions that he thought Anae would be a great fit because he's walked a similar path to Babers, and bringing along Beck is the "icing on the cake."

Babers says QB Garrett Shrader is the "guy that made (the Orange) go." There are a lot of good NIL slogans Shrader could base on that line.

Babers on Tucker: "First of all, Sean is relentless. He works out all the time." Mentions that the running back competed for the track team in the spring but still didn't miss a football practice. Also stuck around Syracuse over Christmas break.

More on Tucker: "I believe he's better. ... He is not the same."

Babers compares the 3-3-5 model to scheduling he experienced while coaching at Texas A&M and Baylor.

Babers says he thinks Anae has had a "fabulous effect" on Syracuse's offensive personnel.

O-lineman Matthew Bergeron describes Anae's offense as "explosive" both in the passing and rushing games.

Fun fact: Bergeron's first language was French.

Mikel Jones says he feels like he's helping bring out leaders in his fellow linebackers Marlowe Wax and Stefon Thompson.

Garrett Shrader says he found common ground with Anae and Beck coming from Mike Leach's air raid offense a few years back.

Shrader on the QB room: "We got a good group of guys. ... Our room was a little dwindled down."

Shrader: "It's my offense, my team."

Last edited:
I can't stomach Axe, but the reality is that Phillips was one of the dumbasses who voted against the 12 team playoff. if an expanded playoff happens and offers no auto bids as Sankey wants, then that could be Jim's epitaph as ACC commissioner

While you are right, what’s that got to do with todays presser and axes comments on it?

If Tucker is actually better than he was last year... a Heisman finalist opportunity (if we win 8 games) may not be out of the realm of possibilities. I'm pumped to see it.

Just listened to Babers and the players. Shrader's got me fired up.
yeah, even the ESPN Radio guys seemed pretty bullish on SU, their concerns, like ours, are the schedule and how much the pass game will improve. Luginbill mentioned several times how night and day the roster is from the 2020 trainwreck to now.

If Tucker is actually better than he was last year... a Heisman finalist opportunity (if we win 8 games) may not be out of the realm of possibilities. I'm pumped to see it.
Tucker can be one of the greatest of all time (and he might be), but without a healthy o line and Elmore he’s going to be grinding for every yard again. If the o line can give him space, he might get 1700 (or more but I hope we don’t have to ride him every down this year)

Tucker can be one of the greatest of all time (and he might be), but without a healthy o line and Elmore he’s going to be grinding for every yard again. If the o line can give him space, he might get 1700 (or more but I hope we don’t have to ride him every down this year)
The o-line wasn’t exactly outstanding last year. Should be improved with most everyone back.

The brain dead UCOnn fans are having a blast with Emily Leikers tweet. Didn't their team go 1-11 or something?

Axe and others must have been disappointed with the interview Phillips gave to the ACCN at the end of the day. Let’s see what he says. Bet he’s quiet about it.

Is there a facepalm emoji?

71ECC05A-5D87-4FFB-9D68-A4F62D826862.jpeg

Last edited: