ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member

Huh? My point is I asked you a question because I wanted an answer.

Oh sorry, I thought you were being a smartass. Presumably, the reason that they will be sitting with 15 members after Maryland leaves instead of immediately grabbing a school like UConn is to be able to have a bargaining chip to give ND for coming in for football. Basically, if you come in for football, we'll extend an invitation to any school you want. This would make it easier for ND to continue a long-standing rivalry with a school like Navy, which would normally not be invited to the ACC. Others have suggested a hybrid model with Navy in for football and Gtown for basketball. I'm not sure Georgetown would take that deal. That's the only form of a hybrid I'd be on board with - Navy football with ND coming on full and either Georgetown, Villanova or UConn coming on for basketball only.

To be fair neither Pitt nor BC do those things either. I can live with Pitt in the ACC bit UConn is a much better choice than BC ever was. I have to think at this point the ACC regrets BC.

Pitt and BC both have a long tradition of football success even if they have been up and down at times.

More people live in NYC, Connecticut and New England than entire regions of the United States.

But it's not the United States. They are a regional team and a small region at that.

The problem is all of their sports have fallen off the map. I would also add that the over all fan base is not very big. They are virtually non-existent on the internet where as UConn fans are seemingly everywhere. I have never met a BC fan in person. I am starting to believe they don't really exist.

I know we are supposed to hate everything UConn but long term they were and still are a better choice that BC imo.
I actually saw a lot of BC fans in the dome when we played them in football this year. I remember it well because most were douches

But it's not the United States. They are a regional team and a small region at that.

Well, at least they bring home rings.

And rings earns money for the conference.

Much rather have Uconn then trashy garbage like Pitt and Notre Dame, god they suck.

Oh sorry, I thought you were being a smartass. Presumably, the reason that they will be sitting with 15 members after Maryland leaves instead of immediately grabbing a school like UConn is to be able to have a bargaining chip to give ND for coming in for football. Basically, if you come in for football, we'll extend an invitation to any school you want. This would make it easier for ND to continue a long-standing rivalry with a school like Navy, which would normally not be invited to the ACC. Others have suggested a hybrid model with Navy in for football and Gtown for basketball. I'm not sure Georgetown would take that deal. That's the only form of a hybrid I'd be on board with - Navy football with ND coming on full and either Georgetown, Villanova or UConn coming on for basketball only.
From your lips to God's ears.
Please...please let us get our hands on G-town every year!

If not having them as an ACC basketball member...schedule them every year.

As for UConn...I'd welcome them into the ACC.
It also would also would give the ACC a presence in both Connecticut and NYC TV markets.

If you were making this case in 1995, you would have a point.

But you can't pretend 3 National Championships didn't happen.

Name another school with multiple championships in a major sport that isn't a brand?

You can't.

I disagree with small fan base and no brand. Uconn may not bring in crowds of 30,000 but they do have a large following in Connecticut, Downstate NY, New England etc.

bball coaches despise Jamie Dixon, look what conference he's in.

Maybe not a small fan base, but a fan base heading in the wrong direction (see their attendance profile over the last decade). See: also their tv ratings this year (link includes tv ratings for all national TV games this year). Syracuse basketball is on another level. The numbers bear it out. And lets not forget they get to play in a conference with Tulane and Tulsa next year.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...mbers-for-every-game-of-the-2013-14-season/2/

Why? At the time if the first ACC raid, Yukon was playing 1-AA football. Some would claim that they still are.
Because that's not the reality now? Look, I get the hate. But I am riding with what I grew up with. I love college bball. I want the kids to win that grew up like me around the east coast and the play grounds. GO UCONN!! And no, I don't and will not root for any other team in the F4.

Pitt and BC both have a long tradition of football success even if they have been up and down at times.

I know we're on the bball board here so maybe thats the reason i see so many Uconn > BC responses. If you're a college football fan also, Uconn isn't even in the conversation. Again, the main reason they were left at the altar.

Maybe not a small fan base, but a fan base heading in the wrong direction (see their attendance profile over the last decade). See: also their tv ratings this year (link includes tv ratings for all national TV games this year). Syracuse basketball is on another level. The numbers bear it out. And lets not forget they get to play in a conference with Tulane and Tulsa next year.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...mbers-for-every-game-of-the-2013-14-season/2/

You're 100% right. Though I'm sure being in the ACC and playing SU and Pitt again along with the other ACC teams would increase their ratings and numbers immensely.

How is a team with little to no post season success (Pittsburgh and ND) out earn a team like Uconn?

Below is a post from a State poster on CSNBBS.com and it pretty much sums up (right or wrong) what UConn is facing:

Different ACC schools have different reasons for voting against UConn. Four votes against you and you are dead.

1. BC hates UConn because UConn encroached into BC's perceived football niche area. Always a no vote.
2. FSU and Clemson do not want UConn in the conference because they do not recruit the area and they feel UConn adds nothing in football. Two more no votes.
3. UNC and NC State were not enamored with the viciousness of Blumenthal's legal suit. His handling of discovery pissed off UNC and NC State in particular and had the byproduct of also pissing off VT because they thought the course taken in litigation was too personal.
4. NC State does not want another basketball power added to the league. This provides the 4th vote against UConn. Game over.
5. Several of the woman's coaches don't want UConn.
6. All of the ACC schools like money. UConn adds no extra money because they add no new footprint and their football adds no new eyes.
7. UConn is not a ND partner. The ACC wants to add a ND partner as a 16th school.

None of it is personal.

UConn gambled on football but they waited about a decade and a half too long to move up and commit to big leagues. Louisville made the commitment over 30 years ago. Cincy also committed to big league football recently and got caught, just like USF, and UCF.
LINK

Now this cracks me up. Did someone on Debbie Yow's staff in Raleigh all of a sudden confuse NC State for a football school? An I'm not sure why they are worried about another basketball power since they have sat behind the other two in their metro area for 30 years. I don't think the Blumenthal litigation pissed of Virginia Tech either because Virginia Tech was part of it.

I'm for adding UConn if the finances regarding television revenue support it. They have earned it in basketball, and the football is good enough. It would secure the ACC as the major college conference in New England, help with interest in New York City, and add another strong athletics department of 23 sports. UConn does have good support in Connecticut. I know BC wants to own New England, but if the Big Ten added UConn, they would have to share New England. I'd rather BC share it with UConn in the ACC than with another Conference.

If you were making this case in 1995, you would have a point.

But you can't pretend 3 National Championships didn't happen.

Name another school with multiple championships in a major sport that isn't a brand?

You can't.

You keep wanting to hang your hat on 3 championships in bball to try to prove worth to the ACC and as proof of a national brand and following. You fail.

The most important things are/were; in no particular order.

Football
Brand
National fan base

I don't see you on TV taking over arenas or showing up in good numbers at far away football games. You show up for the occasional "event". He'll, even BC brought more fans to the Dome than you ever did. Where are your fans in the mid Atlantic? The south? California? Texas? They're all in New England.

UCONN was on ESPN & ESPN2 more times this year than any previous year.

UCONN was on ESPN & ESPN2 more times this year than any previous year.

And did you happen to check out the ratings compared to your good buddies in Central New York?

Mismatch.

You keep wanting to hang your hat on 3 championships in bball to try to prove worth to the ACC and as proof of a national brand and following. You fail.

The most important things are/were; in no particular order.

Football
Brand
National fan base

I don't see you on TV taking over arenas or showing up in good numbers at far away football games. You show up for the occasional "event". He'll, even BC brought more fans to the Dome than you ever did. Where are your fans in the mid Atlantic? The south? California? Texas? They're all in New England.

You are changing the story. You said UCONN doesn't have a national brand. We were on ESPN more than probably any other program this year. We've been in 3 FF's in 6 years, 9 elite 8's in 20 years, 3 NC (and working on another) in the last 15 years.

We matter in college basketball.

So unless you are saying that college BB isn't a major sport, you have to admit UCONN is a big, national brand.

Some of those numbers really stand out. The Pitt game at the Dome with a worse time slot did better than their Gameday game against Louisville. Our ratings against a Indiana crushed theirs.

Clemson at Syracuse more than doubled UConn at UCF at the same time on the same day even though they got ESPN2 and we were stuck on the U.

Some of those numbers really stand out. The Pitt game at the Dome with a worse time slot did better than their Gameday game against Louisville. Our ratings against a Indiana crushed theirs.

Yes, some very interesting numbers. Their game against national power Florida was equaled in number by our first round Maui game against Minnesota.

Yes, some very interesting numbers. Their game against national power Florida was equaled in number by our first round Maui game against Minnesota.

Also of note, they had 5/25 games listed with more than 1m viewers. We had 14/20 and a couple more close to that mark. Even their big games had dismal ratings compared to ours at Miami, Clemson, BC x 2. Our NC State ACC tournament game crushed their American final.

As an aside, the numbers for Louisville are pretty low. It is amazing what a huge brand we are...but that's why we are in the ACC. Too many of our fans sell us short.

Last edited:
Also of note, they had 5/25 games listed with more than 1m viewers. We had 14/20 and a couple more close to that mark. Even their big games had dismal ratings compared to ours at Miami, Clemson, BC x 2. Our NC State ACC tournament game crushed their American final.

As an aside, the numbers for Louisville are pretty low. It is amazing what a huge brand we are...but that's why we are in the ACC. Too many of our fans sell us short.b

Our NC State loss in the qtr finals was higher rated than both the semifinals the following day and 2nd highest rated game (besides the final) in the whole ACC Tourney. We certainly were good for business this year from a ratings perspective.

From your lips to God's ears.
Please...please let us get our hands on G-town every year!

If not having them as an ACC basketball member...schedule them every year.

As for UConn...I'd welcome them into the ACC.
It also would also would give the ACC a presence in both Connecticut and NYC TV markets.

I think we're likely to resume the series with Georgetown, but I think that the combination of ND coming into the ACC as a full member with the Navy/Gtown hybrid model is very unlikely, although possible. Once the Hoyas get over their sulking about us making the obvious move out of the Big East, I'm sure both schools will be open to that scheduling.

Just keep in mind it will never be as good as it was, because the games won't mean as much.

As far as a presence in the NYC TV market, we give the ACC that - and we give it some of Connecticut too, I'd have to imagine (lots of alums there).

You are changing the story. You said UCONN doesn't have a national brand. We were on ESPN more than probably any other program this year. We've been in 3 FF's in 6 years, 9 elite 8's in 20 years, 3 NC (and working on another) in the last 15 years.

We matter in college basketball.

So unless you are saying that college BB isn't a major sport, you have to admit UCONN is a big, national brand.

Oh, my story hasn't changed. You just keep trying to focus on one single sport and using it as proof that you have a national brand and a national fan base. Your responses continue to prove you have no idea what any of this means. Hell you can't even answer when was the last time your basketball fans overtook an opponents arena. You're regional. Always have been always will be.

Hell you can't even answer when was the last time your basketball fans overtook an opponents arena.

NY Knicks. Two days ago.

We have the top wing in la coming to uconn & a 5 star forward from LA starting in the ff.

sdhusky said:
NY Knicks. Two days ago. We have the top wing in la coming to uconn & a 5 star forward from LA starting in the ff.

Like I said.

I think we're likely to resume the series with Georgetown, but I think that the combination of ND coming into the ACC as a full member with the Navy/Gtown hybrid model is very unlikely, although possible. Once the Hoyas get over their sulking about us making the obvious move out of the Big East, I'm sure both schools will be open to that scheduling.

Just keep in mind it will never be as good as it was, because the games won't mean as much.

As far as a presence in the NYC TV market, we give the ACC that - and we give it some of Connecticut too, I'd have to imagine (lots of alums there).

Before the ACC did this, it would be better off Adding Connecticut as a full member and BYU football only as a partial for the term of the Notre Dame Football scheduling agreement. That way there would be 16 football teams. BYU has a large audience, and it could help with getting the ACC Network distribution west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom