ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 152 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I was thinking of all that after writing what I did.

ACC/SEC combine. SEC does to ACC what B10 has done to all newcomers. You’ll only get a certain % until next contract. But the % will still be more overall than what ACC schools are making now and will keep schools like Clemson, FSU, etc happy until a new contract.
Re: Big 10--USC gets a full share their first year. Don't know about UCLA.

Incidentally, there is a story floating around that USC insisted that the B1G take no more PAC schools beyond them and UCLA, because they didn't want to share their SoCal recruiting territory with other West Coast teams. If true, the Trojans are not happy today.

If you told me 30 years ago that USC and UCLA would be in the same conference as Rutgers and Maryland...
Exactly. Anyone who would have predicted this would have been sent to a looney bin on an express train, tested for hallucinogenic drugs, and locked up in a padded cell for their own safety.

Incidentally, there is a story floating around that USC insisted that the B1G take no more PAC schools beyond them and UCLA, because they didn't want to share their SoCal recruiting territory with other West Coast teams. If true, the Trojans are not happy today.
SEC made a similar promise to Texas A&M and we know how that turned out.

Got my email from Arizona State this evening that they are going to the Big 12 or the Big 18 or whatever it will become. I was a season ticket holder for women's basketball.
My sympathies, you will now have to travel to Lubbock to support your lady hoopsters. Rest assured , your support will likely be sufficient as Texas Blech has little support, even in Texas.

So the percentages on all these deals and the hard numbers to begin with - the bigger these conferences get, the fact there are already concessions for the new additions- how sustainable is all this earmarked money? Especially when everything shakes out and some programs and fans are either set aside or their program has a steeper mountain to climb to compete at the highest levels...

At what point does the consolidation cross a line that ends up hurting vs helping and expected TV deal revenue is never realized for many programs...

Where are they going? B1G isn't taking them and Florida (along with a few other schools like South Carolina) will block them from the SEC.
…and based on Washington and Oregon numbers, FSU would take a real $12MM+ annual pay cut on top of the exit fee and rights buy back. So much for FSU leadership and financial planning.

So the percentages on all these deals and the hard numbers to begin with - the bigger these conferences get, the fact there are already concessions for the new additions- how sustainable is all this earmarked money? Especially when everything shakes out and some programs and fans are either set aside or their program has a steeper mountain to climb to compete at the highest levels...

At what point does the consolidation cross a line that ends up hurting vs helping and expected TV deal revenue is never realized for many programs...
At some point, it’s a zero-sum game. That point may have already been breached.

Is it wrong to assume that the ACC raiding the Big East 20 years ago, inadvertently cut their own throat?

Not that they could foresee Miami and VaTech falling off and doing nothing in conference.

They say Karma always finds it's target, it's just a matter of when and where.
Until Karma joins a conference it can kiss my ass

Pretty crappy all around, I do feel especially bad for Oregon State and Wazzu, it might be I feel like Syracuse could be not far behind them in a similar situation. Unfortunately it’s every man for themselves, I hope Syracuse is already looking at all the scenarios, and not praying for the best. The GOR is the only thing saving us right now.
We need to unpluck ourselves pretty quickly in football and basketball. We have been a dumpster fire for far too long in both sports.

They left the AAC because they were making 7 million dollars a year and their basketball programs were deteriorating. If they joined the Big12 they would make roughly 31 million a Year. Over 4 times the amount they made in the AAC. 31 million more than makes up any excess travel costs.
Not. $31mm is for football schools; basketball only would bring a fraction.

Adding NY, Mass, VA, and NC would look awful good on that Big 10 map.
You’re delusional. Big10 is not adding Syracuse to represent NY. They’ll add additional NY exposure whenever ND joins them as the last school of this entire realignment process. Syracuse will not get an invite to BIG, SEC or Big12.

You’re delusional. Big10 is not adding Syracuse to represent NY. They’ll add additional NY exposure whenever ND joins them as the last school of this entire realignment process. Syracuse will not get an invite to BIG, SEC or Big12.
It was a wish that makes geographical sense, not a prediction.

We need to unpluck ourselves pretty quickly in football and basketball. We have been a dumpster fire for far too long in both sports.
While basketball has not been up to our historical standards over the past ten years, they have hardly been a dumpster fire.

Since many pretend the 1-win football season didn’t happen because of Covid, we will not count the basketball season where the NCAA’s didn’t happen.

In those other 9 years, we have had one Final Four, two other Sweet 16’s, and two other NCAA appearances. By the standards of any school, that is not a dumpster fire

Football, on the other hand, and especially given how important it is in conference expansion, has been problematic. And not just the past ten years.

Seems like some have claimed it will be three conferences of twenty four teams each. I’d like to think we would be included in those 72 teams. I’m impressed at how the Big 12 after almost dying twice has rose from the dead yet again. ACC should consider adding Penn State and some Big 12 teams
My man, Penn St. isn’t returning the ACC’s call, never mind joining. The interest has to be mutual. So many takes in this thread of “the ACC has to do something!” followed by no ideas or unrealistic ideas of what that something should be.

Talking to the P12 schools about a merger was a good idea - unfortunately it probably just expedited those schools ongoing convos with the B1G. The ACC is never going to win a head to head battle with the B1G or SEC at this point, so we need to stop acting like we can out maneuver them.

My man, Penn St. isn’t returning the ACC’s call, never mind joining. The interest has to be mutual. So many takes in this thread of “the ACC has to do something!” followed by no ideas or unrealistic ideas of what that something should be.

Talking to the P12 schools about a merger was a good idea - unfortunately it probably just expedited those schools ongoing convos with the B1G. The ACC is never going to win a head to head battle with the B1G or SEC at this point, so we need to stop acting like we can out maneuver them.
Right, but we must out maneuver the Big 12. We have refused to try that.

So if reports are basically correct O and W are getting ACC type money from the B1G (as are the new Big 12 schools). If that's the case and if that's the going rate why is everyone so worried?
The B1G gave USC and UCLA full shares and that is how they destabilized the PAC. O and W had to take what they could get. They would use the same tactic on the ACC.

College football really ruined the landscape of college athletics. Luckily, I've long since graduated from SU because my appetite for watching this stuff has a decreased substantially over the years. If I want to watch professional like sports, I'll watch the pros do it, not some kids who have a fraction of the skill while pretending to be amateurs.

Adding NY, Mass, VA, and NC would look awful good on that Big 10 map.
Nobody with a brain will want any team from New England, It is the totally dead region for Major college sports. The ACC taking BC was, as I predicted then, a very bad move that could seriously cripple the league. WVU should have been the 12th member. That alone could not have saved us, but it would have made certain we had more football spark and fury in terms of hated rivals - WVU fans hate everybody, and they watch games religiously. New Englanders just ignore BC.

This is going to force college football into totally restructuring everything. The travel restraints are going to be astronomical. It’s going to look like the NFL. There will be 4-6 different divisions based on regions. There will be one tv contract divided equally amongst all schools. Each tv network will bid on parts of the tv package. School presidents have to wake up and realize the current conference format is not going to work. How is OSU, Michigan, PSU, USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc. going to feel when they all beat each other up and not be eligible for college playoffs? Same thing is going to happen in the SEC. When this happens, say good bye to ND’s independence. The sooner, the better. Just get it done. John Wildhack should be already on this.

College football really ruined the landscape of college athletics. Luckily, I've long since graduated from SU because my appetite for watching this stuff has a decreased substantially over the years. If I want to watch professional like sports, I'll watch the pros do it, not some kids who have a fraction of the skill while pretending to be amateurs.
I hear you. If this turns into B1G vs. SEC I’ll just watch the NFL, and I don’t think we’re alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom