ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

It is analogous to moves to consolidate made in other areas of business. It always make handful of already very rich even richer and impoverishes not just many individuals but also at times can even harm the 'product's' perception with the public. I think that these moves will kill much of the once nationwide audience for major college sports.
Where's the FTC when you need them.

I agree, I love College Football I have had season tickets for as long as I was old enough to buy them, I plan my falls for trips and seeing new places, its just something I love and planned on taking my kids on trips just as I did with my father, however if it gets to the point where it’s simply two mega conferences and everyone else is playing JV, I’ll find something else to
Do with my time and $$. I have 10 season tickets, for many years, but I will drop them all if Syracuse starts playing mid major football with no path to compete with teams they used to play.
I pretty much feel the same way. Now I don't have the expense of going to the games live like you, but I'm not sure watching on tv will be quite the appointment it is now. I guess I will probably always watch Syracuse in whatever form they are playing, but it could very easily get to the point where missing a game isn't the disappointment it used to be.

I'm actually already to the point where i don't watch much besides Syracuse and my parents two alma maters - so basically the 3 schools I've had an attachment to most of my life. I do watch the bowl games because it's something to have on while I'm off work between Christmas and New Year's. But it's really a contest between a few schools every year and has been for years now and my life won't be any different seeing those same teams keep winning (No Eric 15, there is no parity in college football and please don't try to say there is again this season :)

Death knell of the ACC is what they are after. Each wants to end real competition form any other league. They have to accept the other will survive and they can agree they wanted Big 12, Pac, and ACC all either dead or seriously demoted.

The real questions are whether either the B1G or SEC (1) actually consider the ACC (or XII or Pac) competition and (2) whether killing the ACC or any other conference actually benefits them.

As to question number 1, I do not know. I would hazard to guess that the value of the B1G's media contracts have little to do with whether the ACC survives and it may be better off having other "major" conferences to play OOC from the standpoint of Fox/CBS/NBC.

The second question is probably a little more nuanced as there may be a few schools in the ACC that both the B1G and the SEC would bring on board, as opposed to the XII which has no teams either the B1G or SEC wants and the Pac, which the B1G has already passed on (although rumors are again swirling).

We all know the gem on the bunch is ND, but I am not confident it would join the B1G if the ACC imploded. It may just stay independent in football and move its other sports to the Big East. As for UVA, UNC, Miami, FSU, and Clemson, would these schools bring enough value for the another full share from the media partners? I do not know, but I would not assume it would be.

There is no way the FSU athletic department would be talking and acting like they are unless they have the support of the people that run the university.
There are reports of one lunatic talking. Who else is talking? Most people associated with the school are not foolish. Even if they were moving on, there would be little to no public discussion until the last minute.

Add that to the considerations I listed and others have identified and make whatever conclusion you wish to make; however, please respect the facts . The facts remain that FSU is not burdened with the cash; the exit fee is in excess of $140MM,; the purchase of their rights to get out of the GOR is likely around $1BB, the SEC and the B1G have refused to assist more prominent named schools so there will be no assistance from either conference, the n add that no ACC member school has an incentive to allow FSU out early nor does ESPN have an incentive to allow FSU out early. Plus any and all other issues others have identified.

Once you have addressed each factor, then show how FSU has figured out how to break the GOR when literally thousands of lawyers have not been able to break the secret code to break the GOR.

As explained, the GOR works as a means of mitigating the damage done,. Often referred to as a liquidated damages clause, this it is a starting point to negotiate a buy back of the school's TV rights. OU and UT set the baseline at a 2.1 factor to leave one year early. Thus, the alleged FSU trial ballon of $300MM is a mere pittance offer and every ACC school knows it. FSU has no leverage

It is also highly doubtful that FSU can scrape together $300MM to begin with. And no ACC school will allow a buy out over time that does not include some mechanism to cover inflation over a long period.

Anyway, believe what you like but don't sell snake oil to this fanbase.

It's simple math for ESPN. Would FSU playing an SEC schedule result in significantly higher ratings for ESPN to justify paying them more? FSU playing Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU,... vs their current schedule would produce higher ratings. (They already play Florida every year.)
You forgot to deduct the loss it causes to ESPN's other property, you know, the ACCN.

Gives a great insight to what FSU is thinking and to some off the delusion that guy has on where FSU is in the national landscape right now.
You are being too kind to the feeble minded. The guy has no landing place lined up, no money to act on (see their endowment fund data About the Foundation | FSU Foundation.), recall that he endowment may only be used as funded, meaning, the money they have, which is not sufficient to buy out of the ACC/GOR, isn't even available for the buy out. How did this guy get elected to the BoT?

The real questions are whether either the B1G or SEC (1) actually consider the ACC (or XII or Pac) competition and (2) whether killing the ACC or any other conference actually benefits them.

As to question number 1, I do not know. I would hazard to guess that the value of the B1G's media contracts have little to do with whether the ACC survives and it may be better off having other "major" conferences to play OOC from the standpoint of Fox/CBS/NBC.

The second question is probably a little more nuanced as there may be a few schools in the ACC that both the B1G and the SEC would bring on board, as opposed to the XII which has no teams either the B1G or SEC wants and the Pac, which the B1G has already passed on (although rumors are again swirling).

We all know the gem on the bunch is ND, but I am not confident it would join the B1G if the ACC imploded. It may just stay independent in football and move its other sports to the Big East. As for UVA, UNC, Miami, FSU, and Clemson, would these schools bring enough value for the another full share from the media partners? I do not know, but I would not assume it would be.
It is unlikely that the SEC wants to kill off the ACC. ESPN is vested in the ACC and is also vested in the SECN. Further, ESPN is not likely to cede any territory to the BTN willingly. In most examples, the SEC kills off the ACC by taking 2-4 southern schools, this cedes all of the north and much of the mid-Atlantic to the BTN, who needs filler material on the gridiron, would lock down hoops and solidify lacrosse while beefing up baseball. And the BTN can do this by taking 4-6 teams. Further, the BTN cab reach into the south, just to give the SEC a black eye.

Wow the president of FSU is world class dumb dumb. Threatening the conference he's in publically is a new one. Over money. Such craven and crass behavior.

We've passed the rubicon imo where everyone is on notice now. It's going to ultimately all come apart at the seems if it's just a money decision. The big conferences will ultimately just tear out the weaklings.

The 2030s will probably be the end of conferences in college football.

Florida State Trustee Drew Weatherford: "It's not a matter of if we leave (the ACC), but how & when we leave"
1f440.svg

Like I said earlier, I don't see how USC/UCLA could work without adding at least 2 of those 4, if not all 4. Maybe they'll kick out Rutgers & Maryland, keep a little extra per team.

But only 3 will go to the Big 12.

Oregon State and Washington State will end up in the MWC I assume.
I see conference realignment happening in 4 steps.

The first step is the big 12 will add Arizona, ASU and Utah. Once this is done the Big Ten will add Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington. Then the mountain west will add Oregon State and Washington State.

Finally I see the ACC adding UConn with a 50% partial Share arrangement for 5 years. The additional money goes into a pool for top performers like Florida State and Clemson.

That would be the end of realignment until the early 2030’s when the ACC grant of rights is closer to expiring. Then we will see another round of expansion with the BIG, SEC and big 12 for the remaining ACC schools. My prediction is Syracuse will ultimately end up in the big 12 conference. A total of 20 teams will be split into pods of 5 based on geography. The ACC schools that will be in the greatest danger of being left out are Boston College, Wake Forest, Duke, and possibly Syracuse.

Last edited:
FSU will vote by august 15 to leave conference then it will be a legal battle, schools
Like Syracuse should do what they can to escape and make any deal necessary to find a home, it’s so sad but needed.

I’m not exactly sure what we are witnessing here, unless they know something we don’t about the grant of rights, this is essentially like watching a four-year-old have a hissy fit because they can’t have an ice cream.

Yeah. FSU wants to leave? You know the cost, pay it.

Want to negotiate a reduced payout? Take a look at OUT and start there.

You want uneven distribution of funds that are up for grabs that you think you’ll get the majority of? Sort of an odd way of going about it.

There is zero chance they could pay the full boat of leaving / willing to give up in media rights.

As HtownOrange also said, and I would agree, they likely can’t pay a negotiated buyout that would be in line with OUT.

I’m not nearly as well-versed on this stuff as a lot of people, but if these GORs were breakable, especially in a circumstance with this many years left, I assume they would be broke.

Yeah. FSU wants to leave? You know the cost, pay it.

Want to negotiate a reduced payout? Take a look at OUT and start there.

You want uneven distribution of funds that are up for grabs that you think you’ll get the majority of? Sort of an odd way of going about it.

There is zero chance they could pay the full boat of leaving / willing to give up in media rights.

As HtownOrange also said, and I would agree, they likely can’t pay a negotiated buyout that would be in line with OUT.

I’m not nearly as well-versed on this stuff as a lot of people, but if these GORs were breakable, especially in a circumstance with this many years left, I assume they would be broke.

I think their only chance here, and it's small, is they are taking the bullets for 8 other schools looking to end the ACC and this is the beginning of a tidal wave coming. I don't even know what constitutes a vote to end the ACC but if they had that number, that would be concerning to me. Again, i have no idea what that means for the ACCN and how they dissolve a network they are partners in but that would be something that gives me pause for 3 seconds instead of the normal 1 second of these actions by FSU crazy people

Well it has been an interesting ride, seems like it may be time to find a lifeboat. That was one hell of a presser. Damn

DO you have a link to the presser?

I worry there isn’t enough life boats for us, and where the heck do we end up the AAC making 8 million a year for TV revenue smh. Someone better be pro active because the schools who arnt will be playing Macaction or should drop football.

How many schools are needed to break the GOR? I know they need 8 to dissolve the conference but that doesn't exactly get rid of the GOR.

My only thinking here is they found an 8th school to vote aye on.

I think FSU has a distorted view on who they are and how much they are worth. I think they may find that out in short order if they do try and leave.
They must already have had substantive discussions with the SEC and/or the B1G to be taking this stance publicly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom