ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 226 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Maybe its me and my old school bygone days mentality, but how are the logistics gonna work for Stanford in Palo Alto, & Cal in Berkeley?
It just seems so unwieldy at this point, and unless there's some ND extra-game incentive, or a kick-in extra bucks from our ESPN overlords, I just don't see the sense in it. To expand just for expansion sake? Just seems kinda pointless.
I know patience is a dirty word when it comes to CR, but why not wait it out a bit more, instead of adding more mouths? JMHO
What the ACC does now in tennis is pair teams. For example, UVa and VA Tech travel and host together, If they were going to have away matches with the Florida teams, One would play Miami and the other plays FSU on Friday and then they switch on Sunday. If they were going to host Clemson and GA Tech, one of the away teams would play in Charlottesville and the other in Blacksburg on Friday, and then switch on Sunday. They would do the same thing with Cal and Stanford in as many sports as possible. For example in field hockey, one Cali school would play at UNC on Fri and the other would play at Duke and then they switch on Sunday. One would host Wake on Fri and the other UVa and then they switch on Sun.

Last edited:
Reports say the ACC had been in talks with numerous schools for awhile. Not sure why the narrative the ACC just sat on its hands keeps getting thrown around. If you add let’s say 4-6 schools who add less value than the average of the current conference. You’re diluting the conference payout per school. There’s already schools complaining they aren’t getting enough $$$.
Because the talks have been held in secret and none of the participants discusses them after they've fallen through. I wouldn't be surprised if there were open records requests made against UCLA, UOregon and UWashington that it is revealed that there were talks between the schools and the B1G going on for a lot longer than the surprise applications and acceptances.

Uconn football, and football is what matters, is dead. Their average viewship trails teams like Fresno State and Marshall. They bring no value to the ACC. It would be slaming another nail in the coffin not taking one out. Their AD is running a 53 million dollar deficit and trending the bad way. Let them die a slow agonizing death. Screw them. I can't for the life of me understand how some of our fans want to throw them a life line. It is such a bad strategic move on Syracuse's part to allow it to happen, let alone champion it.

If you want to play them so bad we can always schedule OOC games, bball and fb. Their fb team is having to schedule teams twice in a season just to make a schedule because no one wants to play them. They'll say yes.

You and others keep making the mistake in assuming that the ACC is trying to catch up to the Big 10 and SEC in TV revenue. That’s never ever gonna happen—unless ND miraculously walks through that door. We can hopefully close the gap a bit, but even that might be difficult. The fight right now is about outflanking the Big 12 as the third strongest/highest revenue conference, so we’re ready and have reinforcements for the next round of realignment in 2030-35.
As a conference we need eyeballs, in states with the most people, California, and Texas fit the bill.
The ACC playes an exciting brand of football. We need to be in both states.

Uconn football, and football is what matters, is dead. Their average viewship trails teams like Fresno State and Marshall. They bring no value to the ACC. It would be slaming another nail in the coffin not taking one out. Their AD is running a 53 million dollar deficit and trending the bad way. Let them die a slow agonizing death. Screw them. I can't for the life of me understand how some of our fans want to throw them a life line. It is such a bad strategic move on Syracuse's part to allow it to happen, let alone champion it.

If you want to play them so bad we can always schedule OOC games, bball and fb. Their fb team is having to schedule teams twice in a season just to make a schedule because no one wants to play them. They'll say yes.
Maybe because ACC basketball is going down the crapper.

At the meeting to bring in UCONN FB. When pressed why add UCONN FB, the commissioner points to each existing ACC members: "You get a win. You get a win. You get a win..."

Stanford and SMU will replace Clemson and or Florida State in the long run I feel. They will be 8-5 every year and these other teams will be in better shape
Here’s the issue with the super conferences…someone has to lose. There will be stretches where Mich state will repeatedly be a very rich 5-7. BFD.

Pure desperation.

If the ACC wanted to stoop this low, they would have considered UCF who is in their backyard and far enough from Miami and Tallahassee to where the two rejecting the idea would be ludicrous.
UCF doesn't have the money and are in the Big12

They are definitely a school to watch around 2029 as a prospect.

They could buy a team really fast. Basically what TCU did.

And their mission really isn't that different than the private - semi private nature of most of the ACC schools. Its another school filling up with east coast kids.

The ACC would allow them to program build but they don’t bring anything to the ACC table that benefits us. Doesn’t help long term imo. For kicks and giggles even if they deliver the Dallas market that’s 3 million TV homes. Temple would technically deliver more.

Last edited:
What Tulane does not have that SMU, for example, does have is a sizable number of rich alums who will donate small fortunes to NIL programs to rebuild a football program with top level talent.
But they have NOLA. Need anyone say more? Can you say "ROAD TRIP!"? The are a decent school academically, but, agreed, they lack alumni with deep, deep pockets that are wiling to lighten for their football team.

This morning I thought Stanford would be in the ACC as of tonight. I doubt it happens now but who knows. It will all come out someday what really happened but I am tired of FSU and all of their antics / hissy fits. Man up and try to fix it or pay up the $600MM and get out.

This morning I thought Stanford would be in the ACC as of tonight. I doubt it happens now but who knows. It will all come out someday what really happened but I am tired of FSU and all of their antics / hissy fits. Man up and try to fix it or pay up the $600MM and get out.
Yup. Before we joined the ACC, FSU, Clemson, Miami and maybe UNC were supposed to carry the conference. Well, other than Clemson, none of those teams have done squat. So start producing. If you want to make money, win some games. Improve the position of the conference or shut up.

Last edited:
Well, as funny as it may sound, maybe their ultra rich, mouth-breathing alums will go all Pony Express again and throw millions at the players. They love me some football down there.

And now it doesn't matter like in the '80's - there is no Death Penalty issue. Just throw money at the best players. If I was 18, broke and offered a million a year to go to a rich kids' country club school in Dallas - I'd take it.

I get it. Rich alumni willing to pay for players. Maybe they catch lightening in a bottle and outbid Texas/Texas A&M for players and make the playoffs, ala TCU. TCU has been in the XII since 2012. Having them, Baylor, and Texas Tech did not bring the XII payouts closer to the B1G or SEC and (I think) is still lower than the ACC. So, what will the oil money buy SU? Another potential loss for, maybe, another million or two? No, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom