ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 282 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If Doeren is in charge of the vote they will choke
They will call UNC to see what they want them to do like the pathetic little brother they are and always will be, instead of looking out for their own best interest. We know where this is going.

In other words, unless we get most of the money, we vote no.

Would much rather not expand than give the shake down artists an extra dime.

It is a shame there are schools like this in our conference.
The sick- and hypocritical- part is the minute the Big Ten comes calling with their dollars near the end of the GOR, you won’t be seeing any similar statements…I will wait for their outrage when it’s proposed that the UNC women’s volleyball team has to play a Tuesday night match in Minnesota….

MY son goes to Arizona. When ASU was being stupid and refusing to go to the Big 12, even though the schools ALWAYS vote together, the Arizona President told ASU "We are going...we'd like you to come but we are going either way" and threatened to split. Suddenly, ASU went too.

NC State doesn't have the balls though

NM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831-235409_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831-235409_X.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 215
That statement from UNC Trustees is only made, if they believe expansion is going to pass. They didn’t suddenly come to the conclusion that they were against expansion at 8pm tonight, and they didn’t release this statement prior to the straw vote last week when there were 4 no votes.

They know someone flipped.

I wonder if it’s a shot to publicly out NCState, or even worse, they think their own President is a yes vote.

Sounds like politics have crept into this decision.

Honestly, I'd have to agree. And yes. I recognize that UNC is not opposing this out of the goodness of their hearts. But other than it being a money grab and the ACC being reactive to other CR moves around them, the idea of Stanford/Cal/SMU, makes little sense. JMHO
Does USC and UCLA make sense for the Big 10? How about Oregon and Washington? What about West Virginia in the Big 12 when they were the only conference member west of the Mississippi?

I agree with Jake

But if it does not come to fruition, Big12 will scoop those programs and rework their network deal with those schools added and make more money while the ACC is stuck falling behind further.

I also think UNC is going to ultimately be the first team to start the domino death spiral of the conference in about five years

I agree with Jake

But if it does not come to fruition, Big12 will scoop those programs and rework their network deal with those schools added and make more money while the ACC is stuck falling behind further.

I also think UNC is going to ultimately be the first team to start the domino death spiral of the conference in about five years
Stanford has no interest in the Big 12 and Im sure the others will not take another haircut asthe networks are not going to pay extra

That statement from UNC Trustees is only made, if they believe expansion is going to pass. They didn’t suddenly come to the conclusion that they were against expansion at 8pm tonight, and they didn’t release this statement prior to the straw vote last week when there were 4 no votes.

I wonder if it’s a shot to publicly out NCState, or even worse, they think their own President is a yes vote.

I was wondering this too and agree. It’s an odd statement and a last ditch effort to get it to killed. The rumor was NC used NC State to vote no. If now they’re publicly putting pressure as a no, it either means several schools have flipped, their own president is a yes or NC State wisely is not following their lead anymore.

I'm not sure how UNC and NC State became locked together. Back in 2004, the no votes against adding SU and BC were UVa, UNC, and Duke. NC State was a yes vote for SU.
It fits because some internet poster made the conclusion, thus making it law carved in stone. We all know that if it is on the interwebs is absolute fact. I think Abe Lincoln made a comment to that effect, so, again, it has to be true. ;)

I have no clue what NCState will do with their vote, but I do know a lot of the "little brother" talk regarding expansion has been proved wrong.

It would just be nice if there was some messages from the ACC Commissioner or the ADs calling out the obvious. UNC, FSU, Clemson know that they are leaving and are intentionally sabotaging the rest of the league. Because they are using hostage style negotiations tactics we will not be able to expand because those schools have an over developed sense of self importance. The UNC BoT will be more than happy to have their students travel to USC when they join the B10 whatever conference, so they are obviously full of s__t when they say it is not practical today with the proposed new applicants to the ACC. Otto will see you all in hell and oh yeah FSU sucks. (End of statement)

It would just be nice if there was some messages from the ACC Commissioner or the ADs calling out the obvious. UNC, FSU, Clemson know that they are leaving and are intentionally sabotaging the rest of the league. Because they are using hostage style negotiations tactics we will not be able to expand because those schools have an over developed sense of self importance. The UNC BoT will be more than happy to have their students travel to USC when they join the B10 whatever conference, so they are obviously full of s__t when they say it is not practical today with the proposed new applicants to the ACC. Otto will see you all in hell and oh yeah FSU sucks. (End of statement)

If as we assume UNC wants to leave for the Big10+ and is using this excuse for travel it is indeed quite hypocritical of them to say the least.

Very possibly true. Never thought of it that way.

UCLA already is going ton have pay part of its BT earnings to cal, because Cal Berkeley is THE flagship of the U Cal system and Regents didn't want Cal athletics destroyed by the UCLA move. So I think that Cal and Stanford alums can get a whole lot done even in LA and San Diego. They have major clout not just in San Fran but also in Sacramento.
Good point Sacramento is a Cal Golden Bear primary market

I totally agree with SI article. Great markets. Great academic schools. Great Olympic sports. Provides ballast for when the other schools leave.

Schools that will leave someday - FSU, Clemson, UVA , UNC and Miami

Schools that would like to leave but may not have a better alternative - NC State, VTech, GTech

Schools to add - Navy, Army and perhaps Vanderbilt and Northwestern. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that these last 2 will tire of being tomato cans year in and year out for the leagues they are in.

It will be a prestigious league academically with great geographical markets and strong fan bases. I would be thrilled to have these as the weekly games that I look forward to.

I agree with Jake

If those schools added any additional value to a BIG12 deal, they would be in the big 12. Adding schools = more money in aggregate, but that doesn’t mean schools earn more individually, none of those schools add REAL accretive value.

I totally agree with SI article. Great markets. Great academic schools. Great Olympic sports. Provides ballast for when the other schools leave.

Schools that would like to leave but may not have a better alternative - NC State, VTech, GTech

Schools to add - Navy, Army and perhaps Vanderbilt and Northwestern. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that these last 2 will tire of being tomato cans year in and year out for the leagues they are in.

It will be a prestigious league academically with great geographical markets and strong fan bases. I would be thrilled to have these as the weekly games that I look forward to.
Why would northwestern and Vanderbilt give up 60M+ more per year? And why would the ACC add two additional brands that bring nothing more than occasional interest the week before bowl season? (Army and Navy) and why does anyone care if the league is good academically? If that mattered the IVY league should be leading D1.

Come on now, those statements don’t make any sense.

Last edited:

Vanderbilt and Northwestern will never, ever leave the B1G/SEC unless they are pushed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom