ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 293 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Today I learned that FSU and Clemson have two of the smallest schools endowments in the ACC. Half of Syracuse’s. So again I ask where they think they are getting money from?
Boy they better have infamous "silent verbal" although how hilarious would it be is FSU somehow got out next year and wasn't offered a an SEC or Big 10 invite...now that's my dream scenario :):)

Obviously the bag man showed up at the NC State President's house.

I hope the ACC is able to add 3 of the below in 5 years to get to 20 before the 3 babies leave. Then when teams leave you can backfill with the best availables.

Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, or one of Houston, Baylor, TCU

Curious what would you have done differently to avoid what happened to the Pac 12 with that current state of the ACC and knowing who wants out? Pay them what they want so they stay which would make the rest of the league basically subservient?
I'd have been more proactive. It's a failure of leadership in Charlotte to get the scraps of the AAC and Pac 12 because of some fake alliance with the B1G and the Pac. The latter had been on shaky ground for years because of Larry Scott's incompetence as Commissioner. USC took the first opportunity they had to leave by stabbing the conference in the back after pledging their loyalty. That was the first domino to fall. Phone calls should have been made and emergency meetings should have been taking place.

Let's stop pretending academics has anything to do with what's going on right now. Going off of that, I'd have begun conversations among the schools in the conference to poach the following from the AAC:
  • Cincinnati (46K students)
  • University of Central Florida (68K students)
I'd have reached out to the Eastern most BIG XII member (West Virginia) and see if there's any interest there. We've established that geography means nothing anymore. I'd go for quality revenue generating programs over academic institutions. You have Louisville in the conference and because of that, the ACC has forfeited any right to talk about academics.

SMU has donors, but donors can only give away their money for so long if there's no ROI. When you forfeit the kind of money they did, that's a sign of desperation and one I would be wary to attach myself to. That athletic department will be operating on a shoestring budget for the next decade.

I've already spoken my piece on Cal. The only reason their stadium got renovated is because it sits on a fault line. The administration would gladly let it decay.

I'd have been more proactive. It's a failure of leadership in Charlotte to get the scraps of the AAC and Pac 12 because of some fake alliance with the B1G and the Pac. The latter had been on shaky ground for years because of Larry Scott's incompetence as Commissioner. USC took the first opportunity they had to leave by stabbing the conference in the back after pledging their loyalty. That was the first domino to fall. Phone calls should have been made and emergency meetings should have been taking place.

Let's stop pretending academics has anything to do with what's going on right now. Going off of that, I'd have begun conversations among the schools in the conference to poach the following from the AAC:
  • Cincinnati (46K students)
  • University of Central Florida (68K students)
I'd have reached out to the Eastern most BIG XII member (West Virginia) and see if there's any interest there. We've established that geography means nothing anymore. I'd go for quality revenue generating programs over academic institutions. You have Louisville in the conference and because of that, the ACC has forfeited any right to talk about academics.

SMU has donors, but donors can only give away their money for so long if there's no ROI. When you forfeit the kind of money they did, that's a sign of desperation and one I would be wary to attach myself to. That athletic department will be operating on a shoestring budget for the next decade.

I've already spoken my piece on Cal. The only reason their stadium got renovated is because it sits on a fault line. The administration would gladly let it decay.

We all wish we were more proactive. That wasn't the question. We can't go back in time and that was already pointed out over and over again.

With being so anti expansion to these 3 schools now what would you do differently? They had to do something or effectively let it die. So are you in the let it die camp? If not then what's the play?

Isn’t it also the other way around too? They tried to bully, threaten the conference to get fellow ACC programs to pay them to stay in the conference or they’d leave. They made their own beds and now they are crying, no tears from fellow ACC conference mates for the situation their own greed created.

We all wish we were more proactive. That wasn't the question. We can't go back in time and that was already pointed out over and over again.

With being so anti expansion to these 3 schools now what would you do differently? They had to do something or effectively let it die. So are you in the let it die camp? If not then what's the play?
It's going to die anyway. The ACC has a terminal diagnosis. It's just living out its final days.

We're also one of the smallest P5 public schools with a small alumni base.

I'm curious myself about the money.
Well if you read some of our brilliant journalists someone is going to come to your rescue to join a 25 team super league in the next 3-5 years.

dead to me GIF

Yeah them sucking is definitely the best scenario. There is no way they move the dial upwards and the ACC honestly is pretty much entrenched in its current status even if it was stronger yesterday its in the exact same position it was relative to every other conference.

I'll pass on the attitude going around of... 'Yeah now Stanford can recruit the East coast become a top 10 program and we can watch Justin Lamson come to the Dome and beat us hurrah'...
Wake up, the ACC needs to survive, do you want ESPN to be able to renegotiate down the TV agreement? Do you want the league to crumble? Today’s college football is a bowl of stupid so a move like this that is stupid in a vacuum is not stupid within that bowl of stupid

It's going to die anyway. The ACC has a terminal diagnosis. It's just living out its final days.

If it successfully positions as #3 - and poaches from the B12 - that's not necessarily true... I'd rather live with something to aim for than go sit in the corner and watch replays of the good old days. College sports as a whole will ultimately evolve into a semi pro model even if it's no longer college sports. Until then we have something for the next few years with this move and then keep going from there as the more cards are put on the table.

Very true about the home games and the travel the West Coast kids were already doing. Once you get your butt on a plane, there isn’t a huge difference between a two hour trip and a five hour trip. I mean, there IS but it isn’t a massive deal to the physiology of a 20 year old. Being away from classes for an extra day is an issue but there are a lot of remote options now.

Honestly, this could actually help SU recruit on the West Coast a bit more. In addition….and you have to be careful that the Calif. schools aren’t recruiting the same player…you can sell the annual trip to the Bay Area. Great place to visit and more exotic than a road trip to Durham.
It’s a great time for student athletes to stay up on their reading and assignments. Some athletes will use this time to their advantage.

Obviously the bag man showed up at the NC State President's house.

I hope the ACC is able to add 3 of the below in 5 years to get to 20 before the 3 babies leave. Then when teams leave you can backfill with the best availables.

Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, or one of Houston, Baylor, TCU
More likely that politicians got to NCState administration. Being a state school, their purse strings are tied by politicians, much more than UNC Clemson, and FSU has the support of their state government to leave.,

I’m not sure the exact reason behind it, but I’m sure there was a political element to why NC State change their vote.

Wake up, the ACC needs to survive, do you want ESPN to be able to renegotiate down the TV agreement? Do you want the league to crumble? Today’s college football is a bowl of stupid so a move like this that is stupid in a vacuum is not stupid within that bowl of stupid
Love your logic. I really do. It’s like if an a$$hole calls you an a$$hole you are probably doing ok.

I’ve told my kids that many times during the pre and post teen years

More likely that politicians got to NCState administration. Being a state school, their purse strings are tied by politicians, much more than UNC Clemson, and FSU has the support of their state government to leave.,

I’m not sure the exact reason behind it, but I’m sure there was a political element to why NC State change their vote.

The state probably gave a nice deal to the ACC to stick in Charlotte.

Yeah well those idiots at UNC publicly lamented about traveling to California so I'm sure those sentiments will be long forgotten when the big 10 calls.
So they think we’re stupid. Last year, UNC Hoops played in a 2-game, 3-day Dec. tournament in Portland because of Nike/Phil Knight/Michael Jordan. Somehow, that was not some terrible idea.

Travel is taxing. It present challenges that athletics departments are largely equipped to overcome. But the administrators are just so bad at what they do. Tone deaf, misaligned and talk out of both sides of their mouths.

M
I can honestly say I’ve never watched an SMU athletic event, and didn’t even realize they were a power 5 school.

They’re here because of the Dallas market? Sounds like a southern Rutgers to me.
They'll be competitive, at the very least, in football probably right off the bat. Would not be surprised if they are regular contenders within a few years.

They have silly money on deck that they have been waiting for this opportunity to spend. I think there's a reason the other Texas schools didn't want them in their league.

SMU to the ACC feels like DePaul to the Big East.

Regardless, at least we’re doing something. Missed the boat pecking away at the top of the PAC. But need to position ourselves ahead of B12.

Next TV negotiations will be painful for the B12. More dominoes will fall then. I believe they’re next up too, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom