Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

All this quarantining for players being talked about in order to play in games is going to do wonders for their class attendance and academic performance, I bet.

I'm kind of amazed at the flip talk of the safety of these mostly/nearly "kids." I miss this stuff, too, but putting large groups of people together in locker rooms, team charters, stands, dorms, etc just isn't smart.

I wonder what the threshold will be for tolerance of this "safe" return. Will it be data based? Will it take an entire team needing to forfeit a game of national consequence? Will it take a player to be hospitalized with a bad case? Will it take an older staff member dying?

it wont hurt class attendance very much since it will be virtual for many of them most of the time this year.

and also factor in how many kids are already living around campus or never left , classes or not they will still be getting together and the classroom might be the safest place they go.

I know huge numbers of our campus never left the city

it wont hurt class attendance very much since it will be virtual for many of them most of the time this year.

and also factor in how many kids are already living around campus or never left , classes or not they will still be getting together and the classroom might be the safest place they go.

I know huge numbers of our campus never left the city

Sounds like quite a mixed bag of message.

Students/athletes: Come back. Live here. Play for us. But keep taking advantage of virtual learnings.

Doesn't add up to me if I was a student or a parent.

if cdc has data saying asymptimatic don't spread it then it will be all systems go for gatherings

Students/athletes: Come back. Live here. Play for us. But keep taking advantage of virtual learnings.

as a player you only get 4-5 yrs to play. if they dont want to play they wont be forced to. Then again as the LSU kids are showing they are living life as normal and some are getting sick it wont matter where they get it from and the players are probably safer than the avg kid at a bar hang out.

And when one kid does it sick or worse there will be no real way to know where it came from now that people are really starting to move around unchecked.

as a player you only get 4-5 yrs to play. if they dont want to play they wont be forced to. Then again as the LSU kids are showing they are living life as normal and some are getting sick it wont matter where they get it from and the players are probably safer than the avg kid at a bar hang out.

And when one kid does it sick or worse there will be no real way to know where it came from now that people are really starting to move around unchecked.

Sure. The problem is when that kid, who selects into this risk, gets the person who cleans the locker room or serve lunch in the caf sick, because they likely aren't chasing pro football dream.

Maybe most of the kids just want to play regardless of the covid risks. I know the thought is college kids aren’t the best decision makers but if I was a player right now there’s no question that I’d want to play.

Two examples of more deadly:
HIV/AIDS Pandemic (at its peak, 2005-2012) (most cases are in Africa). 36 million people have died from it since 1981. Currently there are between 31 and 35 million people living with HIV, the vast majority of those are in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 5% of the population is infected, roughly 21 million people There is no known vaccine for it, and lucky there are treatments now that make having HIV manageable.

Yes, HIV/AIDS is ultimately fatal. However, it is much more difficult to transmit, so is less deadly for the general population since most are not exposed.

Flu Pandemic (1968) ( I know its outside of your 50 year window) Over 1 million died. The 1968 pandemic had a mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people. World population at the time was 3.5 billion while current its est of 7.8 billion.

I would be curious to know what precautions were taken throughout the world during that flu. I don't know of any government mandates for social distancing or shuttering of businesses. Given the numbers for Covid-19 after 6 months, despite all of the precautions that have been taken in much of the world, it isn't accurate to say that particular flu was more deadly. There have been nearly 500,000 and that would have been much worse, so e estimates are in the millions, without the worldwide precautions. Forecast estimates for the U.S. by September are 200,000 with a population of 330 million. So 1/5 the deaths of the 1968 flu with 1/10 the population in less than a year.

And your point of SARS Death Rate is not correct.
"The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%. "

SARS ultimately burned out on its own before it had a chance to infect anywhere close to the numbers of people Covid-19. The resilience of Covid-19 has made it much more dangerous. I posted an article comparing the two in another thread.

There are multiple factors that need to be considered when determining how dangerous a disease is. Covid-19 is the most dangerous in a really long time because of how these have come together.

Two examples of more deadly:
HIV/AIDS Pandemic (at its peak, 2005-2012) (most cases are in Africa). 36 million people have died from it since 1981. Currently there are between 31 and 35 million people living with HIV, the vast majority of those are in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 5% of the population is infected, roughly 21 million people There is no known vaccine for it, and lucky there are treatments now that make having HIV manageable.

Flu Pandemic (1968) ( I know its outside of your 50 year window) Over 1 million died. The 1968 pandemic had a mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people. World population at the time was 3.5 billion while current its est of 7.8 billion.

And your point of SARS Death Rate is not correct.
"The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%. "

Valid points.

HIV/AIDS was nor communicable by air, only by transmitting fluids. 36 million in 50 years is alot of people, but its comparing apples to oranges.

The Flu of 68 is a better comparison and was 18+ months before a treatment was in place. COVID-19 is on track to top 1 million deaths in under a year. There was a smaller world population in 1968, but current medical technology is far advanced from that era so it offsets the population difference. Unfortunately our national leadership is far inferior. One vital difference is in 1968 the govt was trying hard to compile accurate data. In 2020 the govt is actively trying to eliminate the data.

SARS/COVID-2 has somewhere around 500,000 deaths worldwide. COVID-19 is equal to that already in 4 months and is surging. It will easily triple that by next summer short of a medical miracle.

In 20 years the WHO historians will reevaluate the numbers from COVIS-19. I feel coronavirus will be looked at as the most deadly pandemic since 1950. Just my opinion.

Maybe most of the kids just want to play regardless of the covid risks. I know the thought is college kids aren’t the best decision makers but if I was a player right now there’s no question that I’d want to play.

Maybe. But they should have older adults with some life experience looking out for their best interests here.

Valid points.

HIV/AIDS was nor communicable by air, only by transmitting fluids. 36 million in 50 years is alot of people, but its comparing apples to oranges.

The Flu of 68 is a better comparison and was 18+ months before a treatment was in place. COVID-19 is on track to top 1 million deaths in under a year. There was a smaller world population in 1968, but current medical technology is far advanced from that era so it offsets the population difference. Unfortunately our national leadership is far inferior. One vital difference is in 1968 the govt was trying hard to compile accurate data. In 2020 the govt is actively trying to eliminate the data.

SARS/COVID-2 has somewhere around 500,000 deaths worldwide. COVID-19 is equal to that already in 4 months and is surging. It will easily triple that by next summer short of a medical miracle.

In 20 years the WHO historians will reevaluate the numbers from COVIS-19. I feel coronavirus will be looked at as the most deadly pandemic since 1950. Just my opinion.
The only thing I'll add to that... Sars fizzled out on it's own, as it mutated. About 6 weeks ago University of Arizona found that the virus is mutating, and lost numerous letters in its sequence... So there is s chance that it will weaken as it reproduces...(There were already 3 different versions before it hit us. A, B,C.. We predominately have the one from southern China, not Wuhan) I guess fizzling out is something that coronavirus's sometimes do... fingers crossed.

Maybe. But they should have older adults with some life experience looking out for their best interests here.
I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m just saying that however bad we all want college sports in the fall the actual players want them 100x more. If they’re allowed to play a large majority of them are going to want to do so.

That is essentially what most schools are telling students. Come to campus, most lectures will be online. You will be here for small group meetings so we make sure you come to this school and we get your $$$.

I know there is a lot of money involved but what moron would play a snap until there is a vaccine for this?

If college students are not back on campus, there will be no football.

As of now, the basically universal plan is for campuses to reopen where most students come back, and have classes in an in person, blended or online format.

At my school, any 1:1 meetings with students need to be virtual (no office hours), and my 1 class that I teach will be "blended", meaning that my lectures are virtual and that small student groups meet... So basically 95% virtual, but lets have the students come to campus and experience risk and so that we can get their money. ---- This seems to be the standard for schools.

Obviously, things can change at a moments notice.

No contingency plan can address the outbreaks we're seeing even before students come back, if they come back. NYTimes reports that southern states are seeing spread through bars and frats, two places athletes have, on occasion, been known to frequent.

"At least 100 cases were linked on Friday to employees and customers of bars in the Tigerland nightlife district near the Louisiana State University campus. In South Carolina, cases among people who are 21 to 30 have grown 413 percent since April 4. And in Mississippi, state officials said several cases had been tied to fraternity rush parties in Oxford, home to the University of Mississippi. More than 80 percent of new cases in Oxford involved people 18 to 24."

The spread is now pretty much unabated where proper precautions have not been taken. Go back and take a look at that map I posted above.

I wouldn't be shocked if college players start speaking out about the risk.
more open more spread, more testing more positive results. This was fully expected. The end result is that the actual mortality rate of this virus is a fraction of the original projections. As the world becomes exposed and infected the mortality rate will continue to fall. The overwhelming majority of people who get the virus are asymptomatic. In reality probably over 80%.
There is no practical way to stop the spread. None. Yes you can flatten the curve which has been done. At this point it is too late to return to home isolation as an effective tool. Once people were allowed out that strategy ended forever.
Now it is about common sense.
If you are in an interior public space wear a mask. Wash your hands. Period. There really isnt anything else that can be done.
My guess is that if everyone on this board got tested our results would mirror the results that returning college athletes have.
As to contact sports being played. Yes they will be but with very few fans.

From what i hear, ours will be the Prof will be roped off from the first few rows if need be.. The classes will be whatever it needs to be to allow for distancing.. if the class has 20 kids and the room can handle it then its just a normal class with people spread out.. if its too big then the kids will be split up between the days.. every kid will get at least 1 in person lecture every week. Some of the bigger classes will not be split even into more sections and times to help spread out the load.

The freshman class is the big deal since for many schools that is the one with kids staying in dorms, much more cleaning to be done.

I bet the vast majority of students would play if given the chance, are they all morons?

I would bet they would all want to play and no the players aren’t morons I misspoke I just hope those directing these kids make wise decisions.

I bet the vast majority of students would play if given the chance, are they all morons?
Yeah my guess is most of the players are looking around at their completely asymptomatic positive covid 19 teammates and are not very concerned for their own health if they get it. I think that is how most young people are feeling right now. The risk of any ill effects to them personally is negligible. That is why they are the biggest uptick in positive cases.

In talking with my college kids, thats pretty much the thinking.. everyone is gonna get it at some point, just dont take it home to the grand parents. We get so much science noise right now.. Some experts are saying its mutated to a much easier/less deadly strand to treat if you dont have a bunch of bad traits already.