Alex Trebeck's last shows | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Alex Trebeck's last shows

They got Gonzaga’s Kennel wrong. They got the Shark Tank in San Jose and the Swamp at Florida correct. I forget what the other one was. But not even a guess for the carrier dome smh

The Amodio rodeo

1633952346349.png

‘The Amodio rodeo’ continues

Matt Amodio doesn’t come off as an aggressive person. He is a self-effacing graduate student from Ohio who hopes to become a computer science professor. But Amodio is also a strategically ruthless “Jeopardy!” player on the second-longest winning streak in the show’s history.

His biggest advantage is his broad knowledge, gleaned partly from reading Wikipedia pages late into the night. But he also benefits from a Moneyball approach to the game, looking for almost any small advantage.

He starts almost every response with “What’s … ,” rather than wasting mental energy on choosing among “What,” “Who” or “Where.” He pauses after saying “What’s …” even when he seems to know the answer, to double check himself. When the correct response is a person, he gives only the last name, to avoid a needless mistake on the first name.

He also uses a betting strategy — aggressive early, often cautious later — that maximizes his chances of winning the game, rather than maximizing his winning dollar total.

As of Friday’s show, Amodio, who is a graduate student at Yale, had won 38 games, still a long way from Ken Jennings’s record of 74. Amodio has somehow managed to become popular even among the players he beats, The Ringer’s Claire McNear reported: When his total winnings exceeded $1 million, he received a standing ovation from the defeated players in the room.

If I were a conspiracy theory guy, I would say he lost on purpose.

Austria is way too easy.

Stress? Pressure? Wanted to get back to school?
1633996750070.gif

Of course the first episode I missed in months he loses. Anyone know where you can watch it on demand?

Wasn’t expecting Matt to lose Monday as usually losses like that are spoiled before the episode airs. They did a good job of keeping it under wraps. The only way Matt was going to lose was to run into two solid opponents and not find any daily doubles. That’s exactly what happened. Combine that with him being flustered and getting a bunch of questions wrong. Looking forward to seeing him again in the TOC. He made watching during the production mess fun.

I have to say the level of play this season has been fantastic. I don’t remember there being this many 5+ game winners in this short amount of time since Matt Amodio lost. The current champ Amy has 9 wins and has far surpassed Jonathan Fisher’s 11 day cash winnings from last month. Should give Matt a run for his money in the TOC, which potentially will be the strongest lineup Jeopardy has had in a regular TOC. Also, Ken is better than Mayim in my opinion. I’m sure Mayim will get the permanent gig but Ken deserves it. So much more personable and in touch with the contestants.

I have to say the level of play this season has been fantastic. I don’t remember there being this many 5+ game winners in this short amount of time since Matt Amodio lost. The current champ Amy has 9 wins and has far surpassed Jonathan Fisher’s 11 day cash winnings from last month. Should give Matt a run for his money in the TOC, which potentially will be the strongest lineup Jeopardy has had in a regular TOC. Also, Ken is better than Mayim in my opinion. I’m sure Mayim will get the permanent gig but Ken deserves it. So much more personable and in touch with the contestants.
Didn’t think when I wrote this post on November 29th that come January 13th, Amy Schneider would still be playing. She just tied James Holzhauer with 32 wins and will look to pass him by tomorrow. She could tie Matt Amodio’s 38 next Friday. The fact that there have been two 30 plus day champs in the same season is absolutely insane.

Didn’t think when I wrote this post on November 29th that come January 13th, Amy Schneider would still be playing. She just tied James Holzhauer with 32 wins and will look to pass him by tomorrow. She could tie Matt Amodio’s 38 next Friday. The fact that there have been two 30 plus day champs in the same season is absolutely insane.
I just read this morning that Ken Jennings win streak was 72 games. That's DiMaggioesque. He also won over 2.5 million dollars. I've been impressed with Amy's play but had forgotten that Jennings was other worldly.

I just read this morning that Ken Jennings win streak was 72 games. That's DiMaggioesque. He also won over 2.5 million dollars. I've been impressed with Amy's play but had forgotten that Jennings was other worldly.
And to think Ken’s was the first season they lifted the five game limit on contestants. A season earlier and he would have been forced to step down after a week.