and Woody's 3 at the end also was great | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

and Woody's 3 at the end also was great

Braswell. Griffin may have a higher ceiling, but at least with Braswell, you know you'll get solid D, and intensity.

Edited to add: maybe Griffin is awesome in practice.
I love Braswell and would take him if I was picking teams right now over griff. But there isn't a D-1 coach in the country that would take outa guy that has started all year, averaged 14 pts a game and at times carried us, to sit in place of a guy that hasn't started all year. This isn't soccer . You can bring Braswell in any time you want. Let's be real.

I wouldn't expect any coach to do so. Just responding to the "earn your PT" post.

I don't think even the staunchest JB defender will say that they know what to expect out of Griffin from one game to the next.
No. they wouldn't. Nor would JB. Or griff for that matter. But what is the point? if he isn't with it, you pull him. If he is, he can carry you for at least a half.

I love Braswell and would take him if I was picking teams right now over griff. But there isn't a D-1 coach in the country that would take outa guy that has started all year, averaged 14 pts a game and at times carried us, to sit in place of a guy that hasn't started all year. This isn't soccer . You can bring Braswell in any time you want. Let's be real.
As I said, I wouldn't expect any coach to yank Griffin from the starting five right now. You can generally tell pretty early on whether Griffin is into the game. I was happy to see JB pull him yesterday when he did.

I disagree with the general notion that PT is earned (not just at SU), though.

Seems like the better Buddy has played the worse Griffin has played. Outside of Clemson, 4 out of the last 5 games he’s been awful. He has 0, 3, and 4 points in 3 of those games. He ended up scoring 12 in the NC State game, but those came well after the game was in doubt.

Last edited:
As I said, I wouldn't expect any coach to yank Griffin from the starting five right now. You can generally tell pretty early on whether Griffin is into the game. I was happy to see JB pull him yesterday when he did.

I disagree with the general notion that PT is earned (not just at SU), though.
You disagree that playing time is earned? Do coaches pick it out of a hat? Or who their favorites are? Honestly, that sounds like the guys that didn't play to me.

Is it salvageable in your opinion or a done deal?
I said above, nothing is really over till it's over. But, I can't see him coming back. Plus, I believe that Jb wants Jimmy Boeheim here next year. And let's face it, Buddy has greased the wheel for that move. Plus, Benny. Plus?? Braswell, Marek, Griff, QG ?????? Where does Woody fit in?

That smile he had on his face when he hit that was amazing.

Also, lets remember, he knew he wasn't gonna get pt this year. They laid out the potential plan for him and said year 2/3 is when he will break through. I haven’t heard one rambling of him unhappy or transferring so we’ll see

If the rumored blow up is the primary reason Woody is leaving, I would hope JB sits down with him after the season ends and attempts to talk things out. Maybe it won’t work, maybe Newton really wants to move on. But in a situation where we’re taking about a potentially immature college student, and a HOF coach, I’d like to think JB will offer an olive branch.
Given the insight we get from these Devendorf podcasts, I’m sure he will. Just listen to Scoop’s story if you haven’t heard it.

Also, lets remember, he knew he wasn't gonna get pt this year. They laid out the potential plan for him and said year 2/3 is when he will break through. I haven’t heard one rambling of him unhappy or transferring so we’ll see
He was happy last night...he definitely hasn't been happy with how his season has played out. Maybe he gets over it and its not a big deal but as some have pointed out, playing time is going to be main thing here. We will have some serious depth next year and if you add Jimmy then the cupboard is pretty full. Him transferring might happen regardless of if he was happy or not.

You disagree that playing time is earned? Do coaches pick it out of a hat? Or who their favorites are? Honestly, that sounds like the guys that didn't play to me.
Usually it is, sometimes it's not. Coaches do have favorites and have doghouses. Do you disagree with that?

And before anyone throws a hissy fit, I'm referring to sports coaches in general and not JB specifically.

I said above, nothing is really over till it's over. But, I can't see him coming back. Plus, I believe that Jb wants Jimmy Boeheim here next year. And let's face it, Buddy has greased the wheel for that move. Plus, Benny. Plus?? Braswell, Marek, Griff, QG ?????? Where does Woody fit in?
I would assume Marek is gone. What else does he have to prove? Jimmy plays a different position if he really is coming.
As for Woody it wasn’t as if he came in as a highly ranked recruit. Was he really expecting to play that much this year? Didn’t he view himself as a four-year player which he still can be after basically redshirting this year With the extra year of eligibility.
He should stay and work hard as a three and likely be starting here in two years.

Hope you're right.

I would assume Marek is gone. What else does he have to prove? Jimmy plays a different position if he really is coming.
As for Woody it wasn’t as if he came in as a highly ranked recruit. Was he really expecting to play that much this year? Didn’t he view himself as a four-year player which he still can be after basically redshirting this year With the extra year of eligibility.
He should stay and work hard as a three and likely be starting here in two years.
I wish kids would stay at develop to play in a year or two but unfortunately with the way the transfer rules are its just not how kids do things anymore. Its all about trying to get on the court as soon as possible. Transferring is so easy now that its the new normal.

I'm losing of track of all of the rumored departures. At various points this year, I've read here that the following are leaving after the season:
-QG
-Marek
-Sidibe
-Woody
-Braswell
-Griffin

Anyone else?

I'm losing of track of all of the rumored departures. At various points this year, I've read here that the following are leaving after the season:
-QG
-Marek
-Sidibe
-Woody
-Braswell
-Griffin

Anyone else?
Marek/Sidibe would be normally leaving anyways...its if they want a extra year.

Braswell was probably thinking more playing time elsewhere but has now emerged as a major contributor and I'm sure his exit interview will go well. Can't see him going anywhere now but that wasn't the case early this year.

Griffin/Q are pretty straight forward...older and have professional aspirations regardless of where that might be. Maybe we can convince 1 or both to stay but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Woody has been talked about enough without explaining.

**everyone also knows a badass 5 star freshman is coming in not to sit on the bench.**

And possibly adding Jimmy...too many bodies for those spots. Somethings gotta happen.

Last edited:
the 3 and 4 are not that different in our system. Where is Benny playing next year? Braswell? Jimmy? throw in the others that might come back. I like Woody a lot. But throw in he has hardly played. That there has been friction to say the least. That there are forwards already here and we don't stop recruiting, I just can't see him coming back. I hope I am wrong. To have him here is only good for us. But for him, and the chance to not have to sit out a year, I believe he will leave.

the 3 and 4 are not that different in our system. Where is Benny playing next year? Braswell? Jimmy? throw in the others that might come back. I like Woody a lot. But throw in he has hardly played. That there has been friction to say the least. That there are forwards already here and we don't stop recruiting, I just can't see him coming back. I hope I am wrong. To have him here is only good for us. But for him, and the chance to not have to sit out a year, I believe he will leave.
Have they passed the rule so he would be immediately eligible If he transferred?

He was happy last night...he definitely hasn't been happy with how his season has played out. Maybe he gets over it and its not a big deal but as some have pointed out, playing time is going to be main thing here. We will have some serious depth next year and if you add Jimmy then the cupboard is pretty full. Him transferring might happen regardless of if he was happy or not.
I agree. If this Jimmy transfer thing happens, ugh, I’m not saying he isnt talented or wouldnt contribute but it would rid the bench of folks of transfers

All second /third hand info but I heard it all depends on what Q and Griff do
I think this makes sense.

If everyone goes he's an obvious rotation guy and possible starter alongside Benny (I'm assuming Benny starts).

If even one forward stays though, it's an uphill climb to PT.

My understanding when Woody came in was that he expected he might need to develop a bit before he saw the floor much. Then it turned out when he saw minutes that he could contribute ahead of schedule. Kind of created a problem if it changed expectations.

I will say, if the cost to get one year of Jimmy is Woody's future, that seems like a bad trade to make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom