Another new hire | Syracusefan.com

Another new hire

Analytic genius. Love Red using all the available resources to try and gain an edge.
MV5BMTg2MjI0NTI4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzUyMTIyMzE@._V1_.jpg

"He has a high Versatility Index."

Does this mean we'll be bunting more often with a man on 2nd?
Isn't that the opposite of what analytics say? The out is worth way more than the extra base.

If you're sure enough that the batter will not get a hit, you send in a pinch hitter who you have at least a little confidence in.

The analytics currently available for free to the public go into depth on shooting percentages for various players from specific situations and positions on the floor. (For example, X player hits 47% of his threes one step to the left of the top of the circle, but only on catch and shoot. The same player shoots only 29% of pick and pop from the same place.) If these new analytics guys are worth their salaries, they can do way more than that.

If they apply analytics to practice, they can figure out extremely precise things that players should or should not be doing in game action, and design okays to get players doing the things they absolutely do best, with no coaching guess work.

The analytics in baseball are simpler, because they stop in between events and batted balls are easier to track, but basketball is a wealth of information just waiting to be data mined.

I'm starting to think the analytics guys got us a winner in Carlos. We will see.

If there’s an implication that analytics is new to the Syracuse basketball program, my understanding from what has been posted here and in various articles throughout the years is that’s not true.
This young man was working with the program as a student. He helped bring even more advanced analytics to the Hill. He is now a paid staff member.

If there’s an implication that analytics is new to the Syracuse basketball program, my understanding from what has been posted here and in various articles throughout the years is that’s not true.

You're absolutely right. College players can't make threes that well. Play the percentages.

Previously, they were all in JB’s head. Him picking his nose was just scrolling through the menus

While it may not be factually true that it is not technically “new”. It’s pretty obvious the way Red will/is handling the analytics side is night and day compared to when JB was here. We have people dedicated now just to analytics. JB wasn’t doing anything like that

Previously, they were all in JB’s head. Him picking his nose was just scrolling through the menus
I know you were joking, but one of the things that make JB so amazing is that he was able to figure out in his head what do many data analysts just figured out over the last decade.

The 2-3 zone in particular was a stroke of genius.

I'm starting to think the analytics guys got us a winner in Carlos. We will see.
The value of analytics is that there are undervalued assets - "hidden gems" - which can do a lot more in higher leverage situations. I've met both Billy Beane and Michael Lewis and obvious topic of discussion was this...

("AI" and "ML" are improperly used, when in reality they just make analytic number crunching... faster - you still have to have a hypothesis and ask the right questions)

However, you have to be in those situations.

i.e. Jorge Soler and Tommy Edman in the World Series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom