Another year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another year...

And the reason for that was...

Come on, you can figure it out.

Could it be the time of possession was 41 minute to 19 possibly?

The D will be fine. How many guys are playing that wouldn't see the field if we had depth that just about every other ACC team has? Recruiting is up.

It's just going to take time.

But isn't that the point ? We don't have the depth which means we have to continue to play kids that aren't ready which means more true frosh next year if in fact recruiting is significantly better. At some point you have to fix the glaring problems you have now. I would be banging the JUCO ranks hard this offseason for some DL's and DB's.

And the reason for that was...

Come on, you can figure it out.

Our defense is really bad with the exception of 2 LB's. I think that's it. Pretty simple really.

You can't win if you can't stop the other team. This defense is bad. Four straight third down conversions on their second to last drive.
Care to guess the number of snaps Steven gets per game? 50+. He's probably played 400+ snaps on the year.

Now, guess how many snaps Jason Pierre Paul has played this year? 82. Source: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | NFL SNAP COUNTS

Slayton's got hundreds of snaps under his belt, too. And he's not at 100%

Steven and Chris are getting ground down. Spare me your hyperbole.

2017, still play Clemson, Fla St, Louisville. Replace Notre Dame with LSU away. And pick up Univ Miami away. Might be tough to see progress next year from a W-L aspect

Dangerous subject. Trust me.

Why would it be a dangerous subject. Why would someone start a job and leave after a year here? I can understand maybe after a couple of years but you would have to think these things have been discussed before hiring. Baber's seems to me like a fairly transparent guy that doesn't sugar coat much. The only way this seem possible is if his family or himself do not like CNY

Our whole problem is that we've changed coaches every 3-4 years for over a decade. You can argue about the firings and point out that one wasn't our fault but it doesn't change the fact that you can't build a program that way. That's why Babers is saying that he wants to see what his program will be like in 8-9 years. So do I.

Last edited:
It beats you down, no doubt.

Last week wiped me out with Dungey going down and losing on National TV 54-0.

Watching an inept offense today and two lines that were clearly outmatched was difficult to watch.

But we are playing a bunch of true frosh, RFrosh and sophomores. We are really, really young.

And I have no doubt that Dino will recruit.

So I'm a glass half full guy right now and I'm looking ahead to the future.

The one positive of all these injuries is that kids are getting serious game experience for next year much younger than they ordinarily would.
Now, on the other hand, that means they are not taking a redshirt year to build up their bodies and get used to college, but at least next year, we will have a lot more experience up and down the lineup due to all these injuries.

The problem with the defense yesterday was the offense.

With Dungey that game is a 14pt win.

We were a two-point conversion away with the kids we had available, and should have been ahead, but for 2 atrocious calls.

Everyone is tired of the relentless suckitude. Pitt can somehow play and beat Clemson straight up while we didn't belong on the same field with them. What inherent advantages does Pitt as a program have over ours ?

Lack of any semblance of a running game, pourous OL, corners who likely wouldn't start for many FCS programs and lack of a consistent pass rush, this is a total rebuild without question. Playing youth does not automatically equate to better next year it just means that the staff believes they are the best we have right now.

I would be taking a hard look at Ward after this year. I am not impressed at all.

How long has narduzzi been at Pitt?

Care to guess the number of snaps Steven gets per game? 50+. He's probably played 400+ snaps on the year.

Now, guess how many snaps Jason Pierre Paul has played this year? 82. Source: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | NFL SNAP COUNTS

I certainly take and agree with your point. But being a NYG fan, this didn't seem right to me. According to Pro Football Reference, JPP has 576 snaps this year.

I think the problem with the site you linked is that it doesn't work well when choosing the dropdowns. I think you were just getting game one.

Choose all under 'Week' (it's at the bottom, not the top :bang: ) and JPP appears with 575.

Everyone is tired of the relentless suckitude. Pitt can somehow play and beat Clemson straight up while we didn't belong on the same field with them. What inherent advantages does Pitt as a program have over ours ?

Lack of any semblance of a running game, pourous OL, corners who likely wouldn't start for many FCS programs and lack of a consistent pass rush, this is a total rebuild without question. Playing youth does not automatically equate to better next year it just means that the staff believes they are the best we have right now.

I would be taking a hard look at Ward after this year. I am not impressed at all.

"Playing youth does not automatically equate to better next year it just means that the staff believes they are the best we have right now."

Not automatically, but certainly probably.

To attempt to bolster your argument with this kind of nonsense shows you don't have much of one.

After reading this thread. seems like Babers' greatest challenge will be sections of the fan base which are like an anchor around the program's neck.

If I were SU --- given these attitudes --- I'd take a hard look at whether spending any money on Dome upgrades is not good money thrown after bad. After all, there's no guarantee SU FB will ever see a return to the level of the late 80's and 1990's.

After reading this thread. seems like Babers' greatest challenge will be sections of the fan base which are like an anchor around the program's neck.

If I were SU --- given these attitudes --- I'd take a hard look at whether spending any money on Dome upgrades is not good money thrown after bad. After all, there's no guarantee SU FB will ever see a return to the level of the late 80's and 1990's.
Then perhaps we should have bulldozed the stadium for parking and never built the Dome because there was no guarantee that we would have ever return to the level of the 50's and 60's.

I certainly take and agree with your point. But being a NYG fan, this didn't seem right to me. According to Pro Football Reference, JPP has 576 snaps this year.

I think the problem with the site you linked is that it doesn't work well when choosing the dropdowns. I think you were just getting game one.

Choose all under 'Week' (it's at the bottom, not the top :bang: ) and JPP appears with 575.
thanks! Still, 450+ snaps in a season is insane for a true soph. Pretty sure that most of Alabama's defensive front doesn't get 50 snaps a game, or 450 snaps a year.

Then perhaps we should have bulldozed the stadium for parking and never built the Dome because there was no guarantee that we would have ever return to the level of the 50's and 60's.

That was 40 years ago and the economy in CNY was still pretty good. And the NY State money made a huge difference.

If I'm the SU administration and I read the comments and attitudes on this board (negative and entitled), I think I might say, "Why bother?"

NFW does JPP have 82 snaps all year. That's impossible. If he isn't getting 40-50 a game he should be cut.

Come on man, this is based on nothing but your historical half empty view on things.

Of course babers will leave syracuse but it wont be anytime soon.
Seriously...

These are absurd positions.

If there is an "anchor around the program's neck" it's the lack of depth and talent.

The absolute best decision SU could make - along with the hiring of Barbers and Wildhack - is investing in the Dome and in the program. Babers offense and a renovated Dome will create a renewed sense of excitement around the program and that combination will result in better recruiting.

It's already happening.

Yeah, so let's dwell on that to make ourselves feel worse.

OR we can look at how far we've come and realize recruiting is up, staffing is up, and Dink said we haven't really seen the offense or defense click yet.

Who's dwelling? Since it's your own choice of word, it appears that you are the one dwelling. I only stated a fact...it is what it is...fact.

How far have we come? We won 4 games last year, and barring a major upset in the last two games, we'll end up with 4 wins again...same as last year. So, it's a bit premature to suggest we have already come a far way...I'll wait to see the results ON the field.

That being said, I love Coach Babers and I do think we are headed in the right direction, and I'm quite optimistic and excited about what the future holds for the SU football program. However, at the end of the day, results is what matters most. You are what your record says you are...objectively/factually that is.

?..."..

How far have we come? We won 4 games last year ...
That being said, I love Coach Babers and I do think we are headed in the right direction, and I'm quite optimistic and excited about what the future holds for the SU football program. However, at the end of the day, results is what matters most. You are what your record says you are...objectively/factually that is.

If you want to spell it out, this year was similar to last season in too many ways, except Dino keeps his composure much better. From here, he will build the talent - you can see that happening and it will build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom