Anyone actually taking that spring break trip ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone actually taking that spring break trip ?

Try calling again. The airlines have many new people working the phones and they will likely each give you a different story. Say your organization banned travel there. Should at least get a voucher.

Your school should have travel insurance. I’ve had to cancel several international trips and my university picked up the tab.

If you want to get your money back, while waiting in line to board the flight, just have everyone start complaining about their “allergies” and have them start to cough. The airline won’t let them board and you’ll get your money back ;)

Had a conversation with Delta about a cancelled work trip. They are only offering refunds and free changes for International flights. Nothing for domestic. So I had to eat the ticket cost. Got a mass email from American that anyone who buys a ticket in the next 2 weeks won't have to pay change fees. But the gist of the email was more highlighting how diligent they are about cleaning the planes. They want people to keep the travel plans

These airlines are losing so much money. There has to be pressure from management to limit the losses, while treading the fine line of not damaging their own reputation either

Still planning on going to Vegas on March 18th (from Boston). Hopefully in a few more weeks we’ll have more clarity/answere

I'm headed to Vegas the 18th as well. Hoping for the best.

Family and I are supposed to go to NYC for spring break and Rome for summer vacation. Will probably still head to NYC but Rome is looking like a no go unless things turn change dramatically in Italy.

Cancelled my trip to Italy next month (Rome, Florence, Venice). Driving to south FL instead. Not willing to fly right now.

Cancelled my trip to Italy next month (Rome, Florence, Venice). Driving to south FL instead. Not willing to fly right now.

Venice is overrated. Avoid it.

I know some good places in Florence to eat.

Experimental Biology Conference in California was just cancelled. It's a pretty major conference. We paid for about 25 students from our university and our partners to attend and present.

I was gonna take a half day today, lol. Instead I be responding to panic emails from students, faculty and my amazing travel folks.

Maybe it’s not publiyet, but expect bad news for the cruise ship off Cali.

Half my meetings in DC next week got canceled.

Had a conversation with Delta about a cancelled work trip. They are only offering refunds and free changes for International flights. Nothing for domestic. So I had to eat the ticket cost. Got a mass email from American that anyone who buys a ticket in the next 2 weeks won't have to pay change fees. But the gist of the email was more highlighting how diligent they are about cleaning the planes. They want people to keep the travel plans

These airlines are losing so much money. There has to be pressure from management to limit the losses, while treading the fine line of not damaging their own reputation either
Good to know re: Delta. We've got a family trip to London beginning of April. The plan is to do it, but we've been keeping an eye on things.

I've been pumping money into the airline stocks. I feel like this is a classic buy low scenario.

Good to know re: Delta. We've got a family trip to London beginning of April. The plan is to do it, but we've been keeping an eye on things.

I've been pumping money into the airline stocks. I feel like this is a classic buy low scenario.
I will be trying to change a few delta flights. I’ll let you know how it goes.

American Airlines told us to F Off. I am talking with our university about reimbursement, but we'll see what happens. We are under a budget reduction of 10% across the board, so we'll see what happens.
The Chancellor's salary ain't gonna pay for itself.

Delta is waiving the fees for domestic flights and awarding ecredit.
Just had some of my flights changed. I did this by messaging them.

For some of my United changes, I called them and got one answer. A few hours later I messaged them with the exact same question and I got a different response. If you don't like the response that you get, then just hang up and call back.

Update: United is now giving basically a no questions asked voucher on all travel. I just canceled a few of my trips.

Last edited:
Louisiana trip got cancelled. Trip to Cali next week is still on as it’s been deemed essential. We’ll see.

Yup, CEO just messaged the leadership team asking us what we thought of having everyone work remotely for now. Then the founder asked if maybe we should be our leadership meeting week after next remotely.

Boarding a cruise ship on 4/4. Maybe

I work with a global health expert. I'm on my organization's COVID-19 emergency response team - a multinational organization. I have a personal cruise scheduled for the beginning of April with my family. I mentioned this to her in passing before one of our organization response meetings about a week ago. Her response was, "Cancel it. Bad idea." That's what we're doing.

Don't know if others know this, but I've been finding this out - the only way in which travel cancelations are covered during an epidemic/pandemic is if you have CFAR insurance (i.e., Cancel For Any Reason). It is much more expensive than regular travel insurance (typically, 40-60% of cost of travel). Most travel insurances exclude cancelations due to epidemics/pandemics.

My son flew in from Toronto yesterdays. He goes back on Thursday. I am flying to Toronto mid April, and then taking a train to Syracuse before heading back to AZ. No plans to cancel. Also the airlines are only giving refunds or changes to flights booked after March 1. Thanks. I booked back in January before I even knew about all of this. But I am going to do a few things I never did before. I will wipe down the tray table, seat, etc. I will have hand sanitizer, and may also bring latex gloves.
My summer trip to Toronto, and then I am going to Syracuse and my husband will head to NYC from Toronto is up in the air. He has stage 3 kidney failure. Not really one of the issues they mention. He has one functioning kidney and his numbers are normal, but I worry if he gets something like this and gets dehydrated, for ex. that could put undue pressure on that kidney and cause more long term problems. So we will wait and see for the summer.
Also my April trip is for my alumni board meeting in Syracuse. I hope they do not cancel. Cause I am stuck either way with the trip.

My son flew in from Toronto yesterdays. He goes back on Thursday. I am flying to Toronto mid April, and then taking a train to Syracuse before heading back to AZ. No plans to cancel. Also the airlines are only giving refunds or changes to flights booked after March 1. Thanks. I booked back in January before I even knew about all of this. But I am going to do a few things I never did before. I will wipe down the tray table, seat, etc. I will have hand sanitizer, and may also bring latex gloves.
My summer trip to Toronto, and then I am going to Syracuse and my husband will head to NYC from Toronto is up in the air. He has stage 3 kidney failure. Not really one of the issues they mention. He has one functioning kidney and his numbers are normal, but I worry if he gets something like this and gets dehydrated, for ex. that could put undue pressure on that kidney and cause more long term problems. So we will wait and see for the summer.
Also my April trip is for my alumni board meeting in Syracuse. I hope they do not cancel. Cause I am stuck either way with the trip.

several airlines have broken the March 1 rule with me and given me credit.

several airlines have broken the March 1 rule with me and given me credit.
I still plan to go. The hard part is trying to figure out what constitutes a high risk. I am 65 but take a very low does blood pressure medicine. Is that considered heart disease? I am not worried about getting it. I am fairly fit for my age. I would be more concerned with having to self impose a quarantine for 14 days. Where do you stay while travelling? Who incurs the cost? I assume me. I will get travel health insurance since I will be in Canada for part of it. I will probably extend it the entire trip. If I cancel, believe me the airlines will get a tough time from me.

This stuff is all crazy. Only early 40s but I do have asthma. It a mild enough case, though, that the doc says my risk is only barely higher than a non asthmatic so...that being said, this year is being turned upside down. We had a dream vaca with our kids and my MIL (not the dream part) to ...of all places...ITALY...where we would be boarding a ...CRUISE...in June. We havent cancelled yet, but I think its highly likely we do. I bought trip insurance recently that allows you to cancel for any reason. it wasnt cheap, but will get us thousands back if we need to cancel. we also have a trip next month to arizona and san diego to look at colleges, but i'm starting to think that may also be something we push. which will result sadly in lost $ because United are being completely inflexible for pre-existing reservations.

Just had a work trip to Cali cancelled for next week - were were supposed to be having a leadership summit in the bay area and it's been postponed until July. Still planning on flying back east with my son for spring break next month.

Just had a work trip to Cali cancelled for next week - were were supposed to be having a leadership summit in the bay area and it's been postponed until July. Still planning on flying back east with my son for spring break next month.
Bay Area has a high concentration of cases. Good move to cancel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom