Anyone know if Mintz will actually be the starting pg? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone know if Mintz will actually be the starting pg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s better having Symir come off the bench. It’s likely that he could team up with a freshman at the two. His experience will matter. Have Mintz with Joe. This will balance youth with experience.

I think it’s better having Symir come off the bench. It’s likely that he could team up with a freshman at the two. His experience will matter. Have Mintz with Joe. This will balance youth with experience.
We don’t typically sub like that though. If Symir comes off the bench, he’s coming in for Judah or Joe and playing alongside the other one. I don’t think we’ll be subbing two guards at a time very often based on how we usually do it. And the forwards that are in the game will be inexperienced either way.

I don't see how Mintz isn't a double digit scorer if he gets enough time on the court. He has so many subtle moves to get guys going the wrong way, gets up high on his jumper and he has all the ways to get an open jumper. He can stop and pop, turnaround, step back and come off screens. He's athletic and tall enough to finish at the rim, although he'll need to get stronger to finish against contact from ACC big men. I bet he receives some alley oops this year in addition to dishing them out.

He is a creative passer as well. There could be a lot of turnovers early in the season as guys start to figure out that just because they think the pass isn't possible, Mintz might still be able to get it there. Be ready to catch, fellas!

I love that defense is a big part of his highlight package. He is adept at getting steals and is a solid on ball defender. I think he'll be better than senior Buddy because of his quickness and tenacity right away. With a little experience, he could be very good on defense.

My biggest concern is that he won't play enough as JB tries to get him to be a little less creative and avoid some unnecessary turnovers. At least one pass in that highlight would have been a turnover against almost any ACC team.

I'm pretty excited to watch him play.

How about a rotation similar to Scoop-Brandon-Dion?

I think they have to find some time for Copeland. He could be a big 6-6 Josh Pace kind of guy who lacks an outside shot, but can get into the lane and finish against most guards. Even when MCW was a frosh and we had that 3 guard rotation, Boeheim still found about 10 minutes a game for MCW. We need to see that for Copeland. Otherwise, if he doesn't play, he doesn't stay.

I think they have to find some time for Copeland. He could be a big 6-6 Josh Pace kind of guy who lacks an outside shot, but can get into the lane and finish against most guards. Even when MCW was a frosh and we had that 3 guard rotation, Boeheim still found about 10 minutes a game for MCW. We need to see that for Copeland. Otherwise, if he doesn't play, he doesn't stay.

He could do that as a small forward. I realize he's hardly the only option there, (I think the other 5 freshman besides Mintz could all play forward), but he could turn out to be the best one.

There is a zero percent chance JB let’s Judah play as free as he does as seen on some of these highlight tapes. I pray he doesn’t, but he hates the mistakes these young guys make trying to “do too much”. But I hope he really Just lets this kid play. He’s a star

There is a zero percent chance JB let’s Judah play as free as he does as seen on some of these highlight tapes. I pray he doesn’t, but he hates the mistakes these young guys make trying to “do too much”. But I hope he really Just lets this kid play. He’s a star
Funny that the reason many past Cuse players say that they came here was because of the freedom they were given to play their game yet you still hear comments like this. If you are good enough you will stay on the court through mistakes. It’s always been that way.

He could do that as a small forward. I realize he's hardly the only option there, (I think the other 5 freshman besides Mintz could all play forward), but he could turn out to be the best one.

Yes, but the match-up would be more in his favor against a guard.

Funny that the reason many past Cuse players say that they came here was because of the freedom they were given to play their game yet you still hear comments like this. If you are good enough you will stay on the court through mistakes. It’s always been that way.
Honestly, which was the last player to say this and did he play in this century?

I think it was Paschal Chukwu if I recall
I mean it’s not just past players we are currently recruiting kids that have said the same thing…

Just yesterday in the piece uodating his recruitment Rob Wright, 2024 PG said of Syracuse;
“They let their guards play and have a history of guards benefitting from playing there.”

I mean it’s not just past players we are currently recruiting kids that have said the same thing…

Just yesterday in the piece uodating his recruitment Rob Wright, 2024 PG said of Syracuse;
“They let their guards play and have a history of guards benefitting from playing there.”

It’s a joke directed at everyone’s favorite Chukwu hater

Honestly, which was the last player to say this and did he play in this century?
I'm not sure but we all know some players have a short leash and others, to this day, are allowed to play their game. It was never the case that every player was allowed to do what they wanted.

So a 17 year old isn’t familiar with that guard who goes to seton hall now? Good for JB I guess.

So a 17 year old isn’t familiar with that guard who goes to seton hall now? Good for JB I guess.
It’s possible the coach was actually trying to coach KR, ya know as in make him a better player - just a guess.

It’s possible the coach was actually trying to coach KR, ya know as in make him a better player - just a guess.
Listen, I don’t disagree with that, but it’s not the point that was being made. KR didn’t leave because he had too much freedom on the offensive end.

Listen, I don’t disagree with that, but it’s not the point that was being made. KR didn’t leave because he had too much freedom on the offensive end.
Hey don’t shoot the messenger I’m just relaying the word of other recruits. But one kid (KR) doesn’t change what numbers of others have said, That would be an outlier. IM not even gonna say I agree or disagree cus I’m just a fan and coaches, players, etc know more than us but I’d take the word of multiple recruits, past players, etc over one Who left after a year(and we don’t need to do the round about on KR we mostly all know what and agree he shouldve still been here).

Hey don’t shoot the messenger I’m just relaying the word of other recruits. But one kid (KR) doesn’t change what numbers of others have said, That would be an outlier. IM not even gonna say I agree or disagree cus I’m just a fan and coaches, players, etc know more than us but I’d take the word of multiple recruits, past players, etc over one Who left after a year(and we don’t need to do the round about on KR we mostly all know what and agree he shouldve still been here).
I still haven’t seen other players say this.

Nah he left bc he was a deadly 3pt shooter (in his mind)
Not so sure it’s like that….but being told not to shoot them at all - I can see where that wouldn’t be the best situation for a guard. Especially when he’s not even bad from out there….33% at Syracuse and 35% at SH on double the attempts.

Anyways, I’m thrilled at the prospect of potentially having two guards in the game at the same time that can sometimes prevent opposing guards from penetrating at will. Should help a bit with Jesse’s foul trouble, if our guards can do a better job up there. Mintz’s offensive talent will get the headlines but his defensive potential is equally or more important IMO.

As explosive and talented as Mintz is, Symir has a lot to offer. Symir's drives in the lane, hustle on the boards, and solid D combined with his total experience and a year in the system might earn him the early starting role.
Probably not, though. If he's as ready as he looks in the clips, I'm all in.

As explosive and talented as Mintz is, Symir has a lot to offer. Symir's drives in the lane, hustle on the boards, and solid D combined with his total experience and a year in the system might earn him the early starting role.
Probably not, though. If he's as ready as he looks in the clips, I'm all in.
People around here have once again been hoping for a three guard lineup. I strongly suspect this will not happen.

However, if it turns out that Torrence is not only better than Mintz, but more effective than most of our forwards, perhaps JB's hand will be forced into playing the three guards in a press or man to man situation.

I think this could also happen if it turns out Copeland is better than Taylor, Bunch and/or Williams.

I also think Kennedy might have been shot seven times by the same magic bullet, so this three guards theory has that going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom