Athletic Story on Hillsman | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Story on Hillsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely it makes it easier to move on. But they could have moved on and still filed a formal complaint. Why go the anonymous accusations to the media route? For me it comes across as muckracking.
From the Nunes article:
According to the piece, several former players discuss lodging complaints with Syracuse, without any follow-up in return. Jennings and O’Neill joined The Lead podcast to detail the report further, and the complaints from players appear to paint a very problematic environment in terms of Hillsman’s individual interactions.
I don’t have access to the Athletic article and not sure how the complaints were lodged.

Kelly I disagree with you here. I don't think you have to be a fan of a particular sports team to want student-athletes to be safe. We all love SU as an institution and don't want this kind of behavior anywhere in the athletic department regardless of whether it's a sport we find entertaining.
I didn't say I condoned the behavior, I just found it ironic that posters that would not spend 10 seconds on the women's sports board decided to chime in. Then Cuselegacy said it was originally posted on the men's basketball board which totally makes sense. I mean why wouldn't someone post a story about women's sports on the men's basketball board when it involves a scandal? It's funny and repulsive at the same time.

I didn't say I condoned the behavior, I just found it ironic that posters that would not spend 10 seconds on the women's sports board decided to chime in. Then Cuselegacy said it was originally posted on the men's basketball board which totally makes sense. I mean why wouldn't someone post a story about women's sports on the men's board because that makes total sense.

Believe it or not, a good amount of us browse every forum on this message board, every single day. I wish there was a set of rules posted so we knew if we hit the minimum amount of viewing time so we could comment on a story of possible student athlete abuse.

Edit- I could see if you were all fired up about cuse.com folks creating new accounts to come here and bash, but these are long time cusefan posters you're trying to "prove a point" to. My goodness

I didn't say I condoned the behavior, I just found it ironic that posters that would not spend 10 seconds on the women's sports board decided to chime in. Then Cuselegacy said it was originally posted on the men's basketball board which totally makes sense. I mean why wouldn't someone post a story about women's sports on the men's basketball board. It's funny and repulsive at the same time.
I never thought you did. ;)

I honestly thought this was important enough to be an "OT:" thread on the men's bball board.

Believe it or not, a good amount of us browse every forum on this message board, every single day. I wish there was a set of rules posted so we knew if we hit the minimum amount of viewing time so we could comment on a story of possible student athlete abuse.

Edit- I could see if you were all fired up about cuse.com folks creating new accounts to come here and bash, but these are long time cusefan posters you're trying to "prove a point" to. My goodness
Well then, carry on. I guess the "point I was trying to prove" hit some folks in the bread basket. Good.

The article includes at least one player mentioning an exit interview which I would assume and hope was mandatory. So these things shouldn’t have been a mystery to the administration and certainly no reason for the players themselves to keep quiet about until now. Some things just don’t make sense to me.

The other person I would like to hear from would Be Kayla Alexander. She has had a pretty good career in the WNBA.
So what if the stars didn't get Hillmaned. That's not really surprising. It happens in sports as it happens in the real world. Bosses like some of their employees better than others. Probably because they are the hardest working. Was Tiana the teacher's pet because she busted her butt. I can see why she would be a favorite. The five star recruit who was upset that she wasn't on top of the world. Too bad. Take your participation trophy and go home.

Well then, carry on. I guess the "point I was trying to prove" hit some folks in the bread basket. Good.

I don't think it hit anyone in the bread basket, it just came off as condescending and annoying. People came here to post their concerns and thoughts about a possible pretty serious issue and that's what you decided to respond with?

Anyway, glad to see some players come out and have his back. Hope this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Kelly I disagree with you here. I don't think you have to be a fan of a particular sports team to want student-athletes to be safe. We all love SU as an institution and don't want this kind of behavior anywhere in the athletic department regardless of whether it's a sport we find entertaining.

I've never been to games at Penn State, Michigan State or Michigan but the scandals there concerned me.

Last edited:
I don't think it hit anyone in the bread basket, it just came off as condescending and annoying. People came here to post their concerns and thoughts about a possible pretty serious issue and that's what you decided to respond with?

Anyway, glad to see some players come out and have his back. Hope this isn't as bad as it sounds.
Hey, I don't want to get in a beef with you but last I checked I'm a long time poster as well. Sorry if I happened to hurt some feelings by posting my opinion on a sport I actually attend and follow.

I

I hear what you are saying Troop. And not to speak for Kelly but this whole transfer portal exodus and now these allegations about Q have been very hard on the people who really follow and support the women's team all year long. It is a little frustrating that sometimes the only way to get people interested in talking about a women's sport is when there is a scandal or problem. That was what I took from Kelly's posts.

So I’m reading Tiana’s comments and she is talking about how terrible the snow is, and I’m thinking “Crap! C’mon girl! We don’t EVER mention the snow. Don’t you know that recruits read the internet? We can get a new coach in 5 minutes but ix-nay on the ow-snay. Stay on message: Syracuse is the Maui of Upstate NY. Players don’t leave because of snow; they are worried about being hit by falling coconuts.”

Your make valid points but as someone who has never attended a Cuse women's game, I am still a "fan" of the program. And it could affect future recruits in all sports depending how it gets handled. No one wants to see negative publicity so hopefully they have a very comprehensive investigation.

The Atlantic also had this article:

Why the mass exodus from Syracuse women’s basketball? 'Ego, manipulation ... fear tactics' – The Athletic

Interviews on the Manchild show and OrangeNation suggest that Q became like a second father to Tiana when she got sick but that the rest of the tam did consider her like a 'teacher's pet' and resented the attention. They also discuss the false statements in Q's bio and wondered if his resume was similarly inaccurate when he got hired, which could create a George O'Leary situation.

Is it a good thing to have a man coaching a women's team? Obviously it depends on the individual, (Gary Gait), but doesn't it risk scandals like this one?

Finally, after we made our improbable run to the national championship game, I thought that we'd become one of the powers in women's basketball but it hasn't happened, despite improved recruiting. Is Q's behavior a reason for that?

Hey, I don't want to get in a beef with you but last I checked I'm a long time poster as well. Sorry if I happened to hurt some feelings by posting my opinion on a sport I actually attend and follow.

If you had posted your opinion on the sport, or the situation, we wouldn't be having the back and forth. Your first 4 posts were complaining about who should and shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on the situation.

No beef here. Just wanted to point out that folks who didn't live close enough to attend every event should still be able to comment on things.

Why is everyone assume that it is only players that transferred this year that are the sources? From reading the article it sounds like they interview several people. I think a big red flag for this year was bringing in female coach (Erica) in the middle of the year, i thought then there was a problem with having all male staff.
f you watched the bench and timeouts this year you would noticed a more subdue and cold unreactive players..yes covid played part but something looked off.

Didn't anyone think it was strange Delisha Milton-Jones left after 1yr? Gave up HC to be asst and out the next yr.

Here is the thing that gets me, if this was a scandal about men's bball people would be lined up to support Boeheim and be calling out this article of unnamed sources as BS. I'm reading posts in this thread already putting Q on a rack and getting upset with me because I'm wondering where they all of the sudden got their interest in women's sports.

The Atlantic also had this article:

Why the mass exodus from Syracuse women’s basketball? 'Ego, manipulation ... fear tactics' – The Athletic

Interviews on the Manchild show and OrangeNation suggest that Q became like a second father to Tiana when she got sick but that the rest of the tam did consider her like a 'teacher's pet' and resented the attention. They also discuss the false statements in Q's bio and wondered if his resume was similarly inaccurate when he got hired, which could create a George O'Leary situation.

Is it a good thing to have a man coaching a women's team? Obviously it depends on the individual, (Gary Gait), but doesn't it risk scandals like this one?

Finally, after we made our improbable run to the national championship game, I thought that we'd become one of the powers in women's basketball but it hasn't happened, despite improved recruiting. Is Q's behavior a reason for that?
It's hard for a program in WBB to achieve upper echelon status. That's why you see a lot of the same coaches/programs every year. They are allowed 15 scholarships so the top programs lock up more of the top talent. And, trying not to sound sexist, there is a bigger drop off between the top players and the next tier. Plus they don't leave early for the WNBA so there is more consistency in the top teams. If Q would have been able to recruit Breanna Stewart then they would have gotten there.

If you had posted your opinion on the sport, or the situation, we wouldn't be having the back and forth. Your first 4 posts were complaining about who should and shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on the situation.

No beef here. Just wanted to point out that folks who didn't live close enough to attend every event should still be able to comment on things.
Okay, I wouldn't want to suppress anyone's opinion on anything but I won't apologize for the hard eye roll on the H0T Takes posted so far. Much more coming I expect.

But then why not go to the administration and file a formal complaint so it could be investigated.
They might think that the school will ignore them and hope it just goes away. No school official got on the zoom call set up by one student. Look, 11 girls transferred out. That says something to me. There is a major problem. No way to sugar coat that. Honestly, 11 kids leave, the school should have started an investigation. Just like they should have with the stuff about the softball program. It is obvious to me that the school hasn't taken these things seriously with the woman's programs. And those chickens have come home to roost.

Here is the thing that gets me, if this was a scandal about men's bball people would be lined up to support Boeheim and be calling out this article of unnamed sources as BS. I'm reading posts in this thread already putting Q on a rack and getting upset with me because I'm wondering where they all of the sudden got their interest in women's sports.
Nah, people want Boeheim fired or to retire all the time. What do you think people were saying when all the transfers out of the men’s program occurred?

We get that you are not happy about the current events, no one is, but you shouldn’t take it out on other fans here even if they are not as much of a fan as you are.

Okay, I wouldn't want to suppress anyone's opinion on anything but I won't apologize for the hard eye roll on the H0T Takes posted so far. Much more coming I expect.

Fully support ya calling out idiots with their H0T Takes. Would be bummed out if ya didn't. Like I said above, was glad to see T and Peterson come out in support. Hopefully this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Next time the women's schedule aligns with a trip home, I'll swing by and catch a game with ya.

Absolutely it makes it easier to move on. But they could have moved on and still filed a formal complaint. Why go the anonymous accusations to the media route? For me it comes across as muckracking.
"muckraking". First, pretty clear to anyone with any journalism background that this story was brought to the Athletic by staff at the school. Not the players. In the story, it was mentioned that Hillsman had changed. Well, the players really wouldn't know how he has changed. That would be staff. And that is why they went the anonymous route. They don't want to lose their jobs.
This isn't on the players. This is on Q if this is true. And with this number of sources, it looks pretty bad for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors