Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Awaiting John Wildhack's Decision

It depends. We know about the bowl thing, because JW has mentioned that publicly. What we don’t know is what other metrics have been conveyed to Dino. The bowl might merely be one of many and his performance vs the rest could add up to “a preponderance of suckitude”.

Not sure what JW will do, as I’m still waiting for him to unretire #44.

I’m sure he will get to that any time now…..
He will be paid out in full. He will have no damages unless he can prove he was fired due to being a protected class and it was the reason for the firing.

My guess is there is a significant (enough) difference in the buyout if Dino was let go before the end of the season. Let the season play out, even though is obvious how it ends. Firing now or Nov 25th makes no difference.

I really wish Dino had worked out and the vibe here was more worried that he was going to be scooped up by a factory and not when he gets fired.

He will be paid out in full. He will have no damages unless he can prove he was fired due to being a protected class and it was the reason for the firing.
What would you mean by a protected class?

What would you mean by a protected class?
He’s old and he’s African American. Someone mentioned he could file a wrongful termination. I don’t think he could absent being fired for being old or being a minority.

It’s preposterous but someone mentioned it. He won’t be fired for anything but poor performance

A search can always be started without publically announcing a firing.
My guess is nothing is announced until after the Wake game...whether that be a firing, retiring or another year.
There will be no retiring. Dino wants to get paid for next year and I don’t blame him. You don’t walk away from $4M. He'll get canned and enjoy his year off in Hawaii or California.

You are 100% correct. And I would add that you have a DC who happened to be a very successful HC recently. Let him finish out the season and then find a new coach. People are worried about the perception nationally of firing Dino when he could still make a bowl game. What if he miraculously won 7 and got to a bowl? That's a nightmare scenario for this program. No way you could fire him then, and you'd have to extend him. Why take that chance, as small as it might be. If you let him go now, most would understand why.
The firing announcement will come on Sunday, November 19 after loss 7 to GTech. Dino will coach game 12, senior day. The Dino Babers era will be over and be remembered for 1 great season, 1 ok season (2022) but mostly disappointments. He is a class guy, represented the University well but was below average as a football coach.

Dino was not happy when he went into the field and congratulated the other coaches. This one guy who he stood and talked to for a bit was obviously someone he knew well. At the very end of the convo the guy must have said something funny, probably not related to the game at all, and it must have been funny. Big deal.
It's funny how folks turn into instant behavioral analysis experts because of one picture taken at a specific moment- our "meme culture" at its finest.
Look, I wish Dino was more demonstrative and animated as well. Yet if I remember correctly, when Shafer acted out he was criticized for a lack of self control.
If Dino faked being something he's not, we'd see right through it...and he'd be roasted for that. I'll surmise and take as a given that he does care, he is upset, and he wishes his team was performing better. As do the players.

If this was any other power 5 program he is cleaning out his office today. It should be obvious that he cannot comeback next year, so they should try to salvage the season under an interim coach.

He is who he is and he is moving this program back.

He’s old and he’s African American. Someone mentioned he could file a wrongful termination. I don’t think he could absent being fired for being old or being a minority.

It’s preposterous but someone mentioned it. He won’t be fired for anything but poor performance
I appreciate your clarification, characterization. I find your post interesting, you presumed incorrectly, maybe about yourself, certainly not him. You voiced your opinion about him, I voiced my opinion about you. I appreciate the light and exposure of your comments

Not that he deserves it, but I think Wildhack gives Dino one more game... More as a courtesy to the Yankee organization for the next "home game on the road".

Canning Dino on Monday and putting a caretaker in charge would be a middle finger to the Yankees and a bad move for ticket sales.

I am on record as never wanting to play in that stadium again, but I concede as a business move, you wait until after this upcoming game to avoid burning bridges with the Yankees.
If Dino gets fired, I'll buy a ticket for Pitt, then hop on the train, spend the day in the city, and go to the game. If he doesn't get fired, I will watch at home.

It's funny how folks turn into instant behavioral analysis experts because of one picture taken at a specific moment- our "meme culture" at its finest.
Look, I wish Dino was more demonstrative and animated as well. Yet if I remember correctly, when Shafer acted out he was criticized for a lack of self control.
If Dino faked being something he's not, we'd see right through it...and he'd be roasted for that. I'll surmise and take as a given that he does care, he is upset, and he wishes his team was performing better. As do the players.
Thank you Bees, right on. Is he supposed to stop being himself. People will criticize no matter what

There will be no retiring. Dino wants to get paid for next year and I don’t blame him. You don’t walk away from $4M. He'll get canned and enjoy his year off in Hawaii or California.
If they extended Dino last year for a year, I can’t imagine he would get his full salary if he was let go. It would be like giving him a $4 million retirement bonus.

19-44 in ACC play. Most penalized team each year. Poor coaching decisions every game.
I don’t care about any other noise. That’s simply not close to being good enough. It should be done now, but there is no way they can wait to the offseason to find somebody else. I doubt they’ll go after Mullen cause this program is a joke, but he is available now.
There will be several other jobs available in a few months. Michigan State, Mississippi State, Arkansas possibly. I think Mullen coaches next year and not here.

There is a Board of Trustees meeting today. Wildhack would need their approval to fire Dino so if a decision has been made we should hear something by Monday.

Trustees include John Lally, Mike Tirico, and Raquel McNabb.

Trustees - Syracuse.edu
Seems like a meeting of convenience since they were already in for the ceremony that might have this as an agenda item versus the other way around.

Then it’s time to downgrade the program. Either literally or figuratively. I’m 100% serious. If we can’t compete then stop the charade and save everyone the aggravation.
Down grading the program will never be a good idea. You break even on the ACC payments alone. You should never give that up.

Scooch, you said on a different thread that you work for a big corporation. When you have a business with enough contracted revenue to cover your costs (and can occasionally provide some upside) you don’t cut that business line. You bleed it dry. Dropping a level or two below does NOT provide enough cost savings to offset your lost opportunity value.

Easy for you to say, you're not the one who risks getting raked over the coals for firing a black coach because private syracuse with no fans expects so much more than average bowl games
Who are they going to get ? The ACC is on broader line collapse. Do you really think any good coach will want to come here knowing that it’s a real possibility of that happening and the football team ends up in some MAC type league ? The program is doomed.

Wildhack has a lot to gain by waiting. He can anger people with big woke megaphones or he can anger ottoscrotum69
i’m sick of the woke megaphone people. They don’t go to games and financially support the entire athletics department. Screw them. If that’s his reason for not making the call then our institutional idgaf about having a serious football game is further exacerbated.

i’m sick of the woke megaphone people. They don’t go to games and financially support the entire athletics department. Screw them. If that’s his reason for not making the call then our institutional idgaf about having a serious football game is further exacerbated.
The type of people who won’t even know his record against ACC teams and how poor of a in game coach he is. You think they’d know he is 0-32 when his teams fail to score 20 pts..

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy for you to say, you're not the one who risks getting raked over the coals for firing a black coach because private syracuse with no fans expects so much more than average bowl games
I don’t have many insider contacts (like 2 low level guys who talk big games) but him being black has nothing to do with him being kept or fired.

1. Wildhack is smart & knows what he is doing. Those calling for him, shush.

2. Going to “X” to call for people’s jobs etc is sort of ridic. Wouldn’t say 90% of what you type to any of their faces.

3. Can’t lose last night at home. Simple as that.

4. From being a player, in this program (thankful no “X” then), when all you hear is negativity from the “outside, it subconsciously gets to the “inside” and it just builds.

5. Yes fans want it fixed, but the players want it more trust me on that.

6. Coach P looked good! coach

7. I’m not saying that things don’t need to be done or change, but the constant negativity bitching from fans/media etc just flat out doesn’t help. Positivity is the only thing that “outsiders” can do. The XsOs and play is from within.

Last: loved playing for the Orange and in the Dome and representing 315. Made my life the great life I have now. Just take a deep breath and realize they are trying way harder than you will ever imagine if you haven’t done it. Go Orange
He must have missed the person yelling at Wildhack’s box about the disaster this program continues to be.

Also, these kids give it their all for 3-5 years. Playing near that level i can assure you not all 85 guys are weeping in their pillows that they have been annihilated 167-34 over the last 5 games. Sure they work hard pretty much year long, but not everyone is do or die bought in at a program like this. Plus they are here for 4 years. Most of us have suffered through this game by game for the last 25 years and even before that being let down when we actually did have the talent to win big. Some will disagree but i always hate when ex-players use that excuse about the guys caring that much more. I’m sure some do during their time but once their gone few really give a what happens while the fans who watch the program for an entire lifetime chose to endure this year after year.

Last edited:

As long as he is paid what he is/might be due under a guaranteed contract, he has no damages, no matter what the reason for the firing.