Benny Williams | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

He probably should stay.

I wonder if he did have a recruitment promise of a starting role from JB, and if that is still honored by Red, or if his in-season "we were on a break" episode invalidated any promises.

He was playing his best ball at the end of this season. Leaving to try to rebuild and establish himself elsewhere seems like a silly thing to do. But, that also depends on his relationship with Red and whether we expect to get anyone at his position from the Portal. How good are we going to be? Is there anyone in the portal who would legitimately be assumed to make us better?

I hope he does stay. But, without promises.

He probably should stay.

I wonder if he did have a recruitment promise of a starting role from JB, and if that is still honored by Red, or if his in-season "we were on a break" episode invalidated any promises.

He was playing his best ball at the end of this season. Leaving to try to rebuild and establish himself elsewhere seems like a silly thing to do. But, that also depends on his relationship with Red and whether we expect to get anyone at his position from the Portal. How good are we going to be? Is there anyone in the portal who would legitimately be assumed to make us better?

I hope he does stay. But, without promises.
Probably.

But if the coaching staff can bring in a better portal transfer option, I'd be fine with that, too.

Probably.

But if the coaching staff can bring in a better portal transfer option, I'd be fine with that, too.
I’d love for Benny to stay and flourish, so Red can prove he can nail the portal (Starling) and show recruits Syracuse will patiently develop players (Benny.)

But this clip sounds like Higgins is just talking versus reporting.

IMHO, Benny wants to be sf not a pf. Seems that most of his points are from 10 ft out. While he can rebound and bang, he prefers being outside. Assuming Brown returns, Benny may need some assurance that he can play the 3.

IMHO, Benny wants to be sf not a pf. Seems that most of his points are from 10 ft out. While he can rebound and bang, he prefers being outside. Assuming Brown returns, Benny may need some assurance that he can play the 3.
Expectations are not always fair but if Benny had been a big time performer at foward, the last 2 years would have played out differently. Of course, he then would be on the way to NBA. So hopefully he stays and this is his "big year ".

Benny will play well next year. Jims approach obviously didnt work for him or for Jim even though JB gave him more than enough opportunities. A fresh approach is needed and i think he is going to do really well next season

Williams can help the team offensively by playing on the perimeter, running on the break and chasing offensive rebounds. Rarely, driving to the basket if they put a big, slow guy in him.

He can help defensively by getting bigger to body up other teams bigs, getting rebounds and blocking shots. Against little teams, he and Brown could be our "bigs."

In other words, he can be SF on offense and a PF on defense.

This is the new positionless basketball we are seeing.

If he gets to 6'9" 220, he'll be big enough, even if he just wants to shoot threes. Which, btw, will be a big help if he can come close to 40% accuracy like he was last season.

I still would be shocked if all our forwards come back, especially if we are reaching out to other forwards and rumors going around we will be going to a 3 guard lineup. They just aren't going to all get minutes even if Red subs more often.

Benny will play well next year. Jims approach obviously didnt work for him or for Jim even though JB gave him more than enough opportunities. A fresh approach is needed and i think he is going to do really well next season

Agreed. 3s, D, running the floor and hitting the boards. Also his passing in an uptempo offense will show up more too. The late season flashes I think will become more common.

I think Benny will be relaxed and play better under Red and I don't see any reason why Maliq would leave. Bell is a very good shooter and we will need that so hopefully he'll work on his defense. Those 3 could thrive under Red. It perhaps wouldn't happen but, Guerrier if he portals could come back and be the bruising forward he was for us as the experiment in Oregon clearly hasn't worked out.

benny unleashed.

dog-escape-doghouse-empty-chain-broken-wooden-fence-background-d-illustration-cabin-domestic-a...jpg

i'll give Red his chance even if i believe we could have hired MUCH better .
but the first time i hear red call out his players for losses ...WE DONE.

Williams can help the team offensively by playing on the perimeter, running on the break and chasing offensive rebounds. Rarely, driving to the basket if they put a big, slow guy in him.

He can help defensively by getting bigger to body up other teams bigs, getting rebounds and blocking shots. Against little teams, he and Brown could be our "bigs."

In other words, he can be SF on offense and a PF on defense.

This is the new positionless basketball we are seeing.

If he gets to 6'9" 220, he'll be big enough, even if he just wants to shoot threes. Which, btw, will be a big help if he can come close to 40% accuracy like he was last season.
With his height and position less hoops, as you’re saying, him developing a couple post up moves to use when he gets a guard switched onto him would be great.

With his height and hops, could play a role similar to Kansas St’s Tomlin (really liked that kids game)!

I don't really understand the narrative that Benny and Jim had an issue. I'm not suggesting that things were great, I have no idea. However, what I saw this year (other than the last four games) was a player who couldn't produce consistently and unable to do what we most needed, yet Jim gave him a LOT of run. Jim also spoke highly of him (but at the same time was frustrated with his lack of rebounding). Again, perplexing to me.

From what I've read, I take it that Red and Benny have a good relationship and with the changes that are coming with style of play, hopefully that will result in a better and more consistent player. With what he showed towards the end of the year, I would be very disappointed to lose him.

I hope he can develop into something where he doesn’t think he’s a catch and shoot guy. I think you’re asking for too much.
Benny has so many things to work on, for sure. If he can improve his effort and energy, I’ll take that as a win. Seems to drift a bit out there. Needs to find a way to lock in, and maybe man to man will help with that.

I’m hoping he comes back as a 15-20 minute guy off the bench behind a more well rounded offensive player that also rebounds.

I’m hoping he comes back as a 15-20 minute guy off the bench behind a more well rounded offensive player that also rebounds.

Just watching the NCAA tournament this weekend, Benny seems like the type of players good teams have 3 of.

Hope you're right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom