Benny would be our biggest portal pick up | Syracusefan.com

Benny would be our biggest portal pick up

Benny has to decide if he wants to be a great player and understand how much work it takes. I’m hoping next year he plays 25-28 minutes and Brown plays 20-25. They can both play at the same time if Benny improves his handle and the ability to attack the rim.

Last edited:
After his poor shooting technique as a freshman and early sophomore, his shot was much better especially from 3 at the end of this year. Project that trend forward with additional self-push to improve on O and aggressiveness on D, and Benny could have a breakout junior year. Do it Benny at Cuse!

With Autry taking over, and Benny playing great to end the year, I would be shocked if Benny leaves...even though a large section of the posters on this board seemed to take it as a foregone onclusion for some reason that he wouldn't be back.

i hope he stays - he's ready to break out.

After his poor shooting technique as a freshman and early sophomore, his shot was much better especially from 3 at the end of this year. Project that trend forward with additional self-push to improve on O and aggressiveness on D, and Benny could have a breakout junior year. Do it Benny at Cuse!
Benny for the year 3PT% = .396 after a abysmal start he shot very well.

With Autry taking over, and Benny playing great to end the year, I would be shocked if Benny leaves...even though a large section of the posters on this board seemed to take it as a foregone onclusion for some reason that he wouldn't be back.

i hope he stays - he's ready to break out.

Given his story and being such a big pro cuse kid coming in, a breakout year and a return to the tourney would be a great turnaround.

Yeah, Benny shot 39.6%. Think about it. Not bad at all, with the turbulent season he had.

Then consider this...

Buddy shot 36.2% for his career and his best season was 38.3%. This was "buddy basketball". The guy who people claimed couldn't miss an open J. Yeah, he was guarded tightly, but still. Benny shot almost 40% and he's not been considered a that great of a 3 point shooter.

Then take Joe, considered our sharp shooter and dangerous from deep. And granted, I love Joe and he could absolutely tear things up, but he was about the same as Buddy with a 36.3% for his career.

That all said, I don't mean to disparage two great players for Cuse, but sometimes fans can lose perspective.

In any event, Benny, if he comes back, should be a HUGE contributor for us next year. He just scratched the surface this year of what he should be able to do on a consistent basis. If we can just get Jesse and Judah back (now with JJ and Benny staying) and a bruiser at the forward spot (via portal), we could be really good. It might even prompt Boeheim to come out of retirement.

Benny would be crazy to leave at this point, it’s a perfect situation for him, and he has full support of the new head coach who was his main recruiter. He will most likely get the first shot at for a ton of minutes at the 4. His close friend is the PG, who if he comes back, would form the best back court duo in the ACC with Starling. We’d be a potential top 25 team,

Not sure how Benny could get a better spot. Unless he wanted to be closer to home or something.

Admittedly I only saw him live once this year in the final game of the season, but he looked great out there, he hustled, hit his open shots, looked like he could jump out of the gym on some rebounds. I hope he comes back, he's going to be really good next season for someone.

Benny is an amazing athlete who spends 90% of his time on shooting threes - wish he would dedicate his time on dribble drives and post moves but that’s not todays world

Nobody can swing it like Benny.

cropped-d3e78734bfcc8d6bdd2678eb595f5.jpg

I think he'll have good stats but be similarly frustrating. Happy to have all our forward options back and someone else distributing the minutes.

Yeah, Benny shot 39.6%. Think about it. Not bad at all, with the turbulent season he had.

Then consider this...

Buddy shot 36.2% for his career and his best season was 38.3%. This was "buddy basketball". The guy who people claimed couldn't miss an open J. Yeah, he was guarded tightly, but still. Benny shot almost 40% and he's not been considered a that great of a 3 point shooter.

Then take Joe, considered our sharp shooter and dangerous from deep. And granted, I love Joe and he could absolutely tear things up, but he was about the same as Buddy with a 36.3% for his career.

That all said, I don't mean to disparage two great players for Cuse, but sometimes fans can lose perspective.

In any event, Benny, if he comes back, should be a HUGE contributor for us next year. He just scratched the surface this year of what he should be able to do on a consistent basis. If we can just get Jesse and Judah back (now with JJ and Benny staying) and a bruiser at the forward spot (via portal), we could be really good. It might even prompt Boeheim to come out of retirement.
Under 40% is terrible for a forward who is not a Julius Randle spot-up type.

He has energy he is figuring out where to deploy it. He’s a throwback developmental player that somehow had a high rating, but that shooting percentage shows he’s 1) not a great decisionmaker, nor 2) a good shooter.

Be a Damone Brown and that would be great.

Funny, I think he is going to hit his stride now too. I think he was shocked when JAB said he is our best forward. He really started playing like it.

Benny was benched and left the team for a day after JB said that

I would love to see a full court press featuring JJ - Judah - Copeland - Benny and Jesse.
I would like to see pressure man D with those guys thus obviating the need to full court press

Under 40% is terrible for a forward who is not a Julius Randle spot-up type.

He has energy he is figuring out where to deploy it. He’s a throwback developmental player that somehow had a high rating, but that shooting percentage shows he’s 1) not a great decisionmaker, nor 2) a good shooter.

Be a Damone Brown and that would be great.
Under 40% for a forward (including non-high 3 point volume shooters) is not “terrible”. A 39.6
3-point percentage for Benny is, at a minimum, encouraging. To suggest anything else (including it being ‘terrible’) is silly.

There’s a way to temper enthusiasm without going equally too far in the other direction.

Under 40% for a forward (including non-high 3 point volume shooters) is not “terrible”. A 39.6
3-point percentage for Benny is, at a minimum, encouraging. To suggest anything else (including it being ‘terrible’) is silly.

There’s a way to temper enthusiasm without going equally too far in the other direction.
Is someone really trying to spin 39.6% from 3 being “terrible”? 40% from 3, even if you’re not taking a lot of 3s is an elite number. That would rank him in the top 50 in the country in 3 point percentage if he had taken 2 more 3s. He shot 1.6 3s per game and made them at a 40% clip, that’s very good, especially for someone who was 1-11 on 3s his freshman year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom