Better Call Saul | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

Was that an obscure Monkees tune they featured last night?

Great episode IMO. Found this week’s scam way more engaging than last week’s, though as usual….last week’s episode looks a lot better now. The cancer patient angle….yeesh.

Flashback Saul saying something like “a guy with a mustache like that probably doesn’t make the best decisions”….lol. And then consider “Gene’s” stache.

Mike was right, as usual.

The scene in the camper was amazing. At some point I realized I was smiling through that entire scene. Went back and rewatched that part after that episode was over.

Saul seems to be coming back to life again. After the pinky ring last week, loved the reintroduction of the Bluetooth ear piece.

Great episode IMO. Found this week’s scam way more engaging than last week’s, though as usual….last week’s episode looks a lot better now. The cancer patient angle….yeesh.

Flashback Saul saying something like “a guy with a mustache like that probably doesn’t make the best decisions”….lol. And then consider “Gene’s” stache.

Mike was right, as usual.

The scene in the camper was amazing. At some point I realized I was smiling through that entire scene. Went back and rewatched that part after that episode was over.

Agreed -- last week's episode, which felt unsatisfying in some ways, now lays out important context. "Gene" got a taste of running a con, and it was a gateway into him slipping right back into bad habits.

My opinion only, but it also shows that he is irredeemable. Because as you point out -- the cancer patient angle... yeesh.

And it's not hard to envision that his penny ante greed is going to take him down in the end. Over one scam, targeting a victim that they probably should have just let slide.

In my mind, this is the reason that he can't have a happy reconciliation with Kim. She's moved on, he's still the same at heart.

Agreed -- last week's episode, which felt unsatisfying in some ways, now lays out important context. "Gene" got a taste of running a con, and it was a gateway into him slipping right back into bad habits.

My opinion only, but it also shows that he is irredeemable. Because as you point out -- the cancer patient angle... yeesh.

And it's not hard to envision that his penny ante greed is going to take him down in the end. Over one scam, targeting a victim that they probably should have just let slide.

In my mind, this is the reason that he can't have a happy reconciliation with Kim. She's moved on, he's still the same at heart.
I think we’re going to find out what happened on the other end of the Kim phone call. I’m thinking he knows he’s being recorded by law enforcement like Walter in the fire truck in BB. Just a thought. Regardless, I think that call meant the end of him and Kim, which made him abandon all hope and say “screw it, I’m going all in.” Great episode!

One thing that threw me off - Jesse's voice wasn't that deep back then.

Agreed! His voice was noticeably different to me too.

They did a good job covering up appearance changes with the hats and the lighting. Hard to believe season 2 of Breaking Bad was almost 15 years ago!

Agreed! His voice was noticeably different to me too.

They did a good job covering up appearance changes with the hats and the lighting. Hard to believe season 2 of Breaking Bad was almost 15 years ago!
Like I know I'm going to sound stupid admitting this but I legitimately was not sure that was Jesse for a little while because of the voice.

Like I know I'm going to sound stupid admitting this but I legitimately was not sure that was Jesse for a little while because of the voice.

I've seen Aaron Paul in some other things, so I totally knew it was him. But he's bigger physically [not fat, just filled out / more mature, since he's older] than he was back then.

But I thought they did a nice job covering up for that with the hats / baggy clothes [like you stated], having him sit down, and also by conjuring up Jesse's disaffected dialogue.

Walter looked noticeably older to me, too [as does Saul, frankly] -- but they managed it nicely, IMO.

In case anyone forgot what happens after Saul visited Walt’s school:

Awesome -- thank you for linking!

Very cool to see that, as the follow up to what occurred in flashback form in last night's episode.

I wonder if we're going to see this dual context [i.e., Breaking Bad era Saul and "present day" Gene] over the final two episodes.

Awesome -- thank you for linking!

Very cool to see that, as the follow up to what occurred in flashback form in last night's episode.

I wonder if we're going to see this dual context [i.e., Breaking Bad era Saul and "present day" Gene] over the final two episodes.
No problem, I LOVE how meticulous they are about getting every little detail right and making everything match.

Loved Saul’s “massage” crack to Jesse, and that massage machine thing appearing in both the flashback with Mike and with Gene.

Ok another Saul/Mike scene featuring the massager, this from Breaking Bad.

I've seen Aaron Paul in some other things, so I totally knew it was him. But he's bigger physically [not fat, just filled out / more mature, since he's older] than he was back then.

But I thought they did a nice job covering up for that with the hats / baggy clothes [like you stated], having him sit down, and also by conjuring up Jesse's disaffected dialogue.

Walter looked noticeably older to me, too [as does Saul, frankly] -- but they managed it nicely, IMO.
The funniest was in El Camino when Jesse P. Lemons, aka Dollar Store Matt Damon, played Fat Todd.

The funniest was in El Camino when Jesse P. Lemons, aka Dollar Store Matt Damon, played Fat Todd.
That, and Walt had a bald cap on which made him look like an egg head.

Still really enjoyed El Camino, but yeah those appearance differences were jarring - especially Todd.

Man, I hated Todd. Jesse choking him out was one of the best TV scenes of all time.

That, and Walt had a bald cap on which made him look like an egg head.

Still really enjoyed El Camino, but yeah those appearance differences were jarring - especially Todd.

Man, I hated Todd. Jesse choking him out was one of the best TV scenes of all time.
There was a reason why Todd only had one can of bean and bacon left, know what I'm saying?

I mean nitpicking how characters look after that amount of time is understandable but also really not fair.

That aside though, great episode. Lot of flashbacks, flashforwards... all sorts of stuff. Probably one to watch again.

this is nowhere near last season of Breaking Bad level in terms of everybody watching the episode live on TV and talking about it right after…..

but is this the last big show with that aspect? Everything else seems to be the “drop the whole season at once on streaming app and let people watch at their own convenience” now. This is way better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom