BJ getting pulled after a minute | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BJ getting pulled after a minute

"He's not ready."

BJ's a sophomore right ? not an excuse.

It is time for BJ to get some regular minutes, no matter how badly he plays. I refuse to believe that his bobbling that ball out of bounds last night was anything other than a case of the yips. It wasn't a bad decision, being in the wrong place or being physically overmatched.....simply not being able to relax and do what he is capable of.

We have only 5-1/2 guys right now and this team isn't going anywhere whether we ultimately get the post season ban or not. Why not siphon off some minutes and create a role for BJ so you can get him a step closer to being an asset next season? It doesn't have to be a lot, just something so he knows this is where he fits in and how he can help the team. It is very difficult to be mentally prepared when you have no idea what your role is and when it is much more likely than not that you won't have an opportunity.

He pulled him because it was probably the 3rd or 4th time BJ has done that this year. Right in front of the basket. Any slight contact and he loses or fumbles the ball. He's not ready.
How does pulling him fix anything?

Like it or not this team needs BJ Johnson to be able to be competent off the bench. Roberson's improvement is not all a coincidence that JB can no longer pull him when he makes a mistake. We need BJ and Obokoh to contribute at least a little. I know JB is always going to play his best players as much as possible but Rak and Cooney need a little rest. I was standing up and screaming at the TV the last 2 minutes of the 1st half to get Rak out of the game. I appreciate that JB has always left guys in with 2 fouls in the first half. This almost always works to SU's benefit. But then with under a minute to play Rak was still in the game and UNC was going right at him. Credit to Rak he didn't pick up #3. But how much damage could UNC have done if Obokoh had played the last 2 minutes?

matter of consistency. if you're gonna bench a kid for bobbling a layup (kj) then bench a kid for blowing a dunk (mgb).

The issue is you know what G will give you, and right now, it is much more than Buss/BJ/Kaleb. By a LONG shot.

How does pulling him fix anything?

That I don't know. Ask Boeheim. But based on what he has said a few times in various pressers; he doesn't like at all when the players aren't learning. BJ isn't learning. In Boeheim's defense the UNC game was probably too physical for BJ. Too many big bodies for him to compete with.

Like it or not this team needs BJ Johnson to be able to be competent off the bench. Roberson's improvement is not all a coincidence that JB can no longer pull him when he makes a mistake. We need BJ and Obokoh to contribute at least a little. I know JB is always going to play his best players as much as possible but Rak and Cooney need a little rest. I was standing up and screaming at the TV the last 2 minutes of the 1st half to get Rak out of the game. I appreciate that JB has always left guys in with 2 fouls in the first half. This almost always works to SU's benefit. But then with under a minute to play Rak was still in the game and UNC was going right at him. Credit to Rak he didn't pick up #3. But how much damage could UNC have done if Obokoh had played the last 2 minutes?

We could have had him throw some bows at Meeks :eek:

I kid. Or do I?

I have absolutely no problem when a player gets pulled for a mistake... taking a bad shot, missing a defensive assignment, etc. However, I don't see one case of bobbling the ball as the same thing. If anything, I see more of a reason to keep him in the game so he can get the mishap out of his head. Think about pulling G every time he misses two free throws. Yeah, that's just what he needs... to think more about how much arch to put on his shot the next time.

* this of course is all assuming that bobbling the ball led to getting pulled

As others have said I think JB's biggest frustration with these guys (KJ, RP and BJ) is that they're not progressing, not learning, making the same dumb mistakes over and over again. That and they can't score to save their lives. Has to be maddening for everyone.

Maybe because he does 10x more positive and also impacts the ability of others to get open looks?

28 pts on 26 FGA? 38% shooting for the game from the floor? 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals and 3 TOs? Sinking way too low when the ball goes inside? All those off balance/fade away shots giving way to long rebounds against a team that loves to run?

TC is a good player for us. He is not 10x better than anyone right now, however.

He's a good player.

That I don't know. Ask Boeheim. But based on what he has said a few times in various pressers; he doesn't like at all when the players aren't learning. BJ isn't learning. In Boeheim's defense the UNC game was probably too physical for BJ. Too many big bodies for him to compete with.
It doesn't seem like bobbling a ball has anything to do with learning though. If he's missing assignments, going to the wrong spots on offense, not shifting properly or identifying shooters on defense that's one thing. If he's playing tight because he knows he's gonna get pulled that's another. Look at TR. JB has no choice but to play him and we can see progress nearly every game. The "he's not learning" line is used too much by JB in my opinion.

"BJ when are you gonna learn how to not bobble the ball!?!?"

we've lost the last 2 (3 of 4). and if you wanna say playing the "bench makes us lose worse card" who cares ? it's a loss still. we've seen zero bench development. only ten games left (maybe 1 acct) and if you think playing 6 is bad now i promise it will only get worse down the home stretch as greater fatigue set's in . the selection committee does indeed look at the arc of travel over the last 10 games and it has often been used as a tie breaking statistic. we've got to force feed some minutes now to be better for future battles. bitter medicine for a better tomorrow.

Boeheim did the same thing to Joseph when he fumbled the fast break out of bounds within the first couple minutes of the game. It always feels so humiliating when he does that. The players look devastated. He did it to Christmas, too . . . . and now look at him.

Coaching is beyond my keth and ken.

Joseph bobbling the fast break in the 1st half was his SECOND blunder in 60 seconds. The previous possession he screwed up too.

As others have said I think JB's biggest frustration with these guys (KJ, RP and BJ) is that they're not progressing, not learning, making the same dumb mistakes over and over again. That and they can't score to save their lives. Has to be maddening for everyone.

I believe its more that, than anything else. If these guys were able to put the ball in the hole, they would be out there more.

MikeSU02 said:
28 pts on 26 FGA? 38% shooting for the game from the floor? 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals and 3 TOs? Sinking way too low when the ball goes inside? All those off balance/fade away shots giving way to long rebounds against a team that loves to run? TC is a good player for us. He is not 10x better than anyone right now, however. He's a good player.

Where did I say he was 10x better than anyone else?

To know his impact on the game, listen to the other coaches.

BJ is not yet physically ready for the ACC, someday, after getting into the weight room, he will be. He has the talent but have any of you noticed the type of players we are facing..?

Wit
28 pts on 26 FGA? 38% shooting for the game from the floor? 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals and 3 TOs? Sinking way too low when the ball goes inside? All those off balance/fade away shots giving way to long rebounds against a team that loves to run?

TC is a good player for us. He is not 10x better than anyone right now, however.

He's a good player.
Without Cooney, that game was over in first 5 minutes.

You could just see BJ on the bench agonizing over that one mistake. Just let the kid play through it so he doesn't obsess over it.
Yep, definitely one of JB's policies I've questioned of late. In the long run (see Christmas now) maybe it works but in the short term (i.e., rest of the game and perhaps season) it just seems to put those guys into a shell - too afraid to really do anything out there

Yep, definitely one of JB's policies I've questioned of late. In the long run (see Christmas now) maybe it works but in the short term (i.e., rest of the game and perhaps season) it just seems to put those guys into a shell - too afraid to really do anything out there

I know I haven't won 900+ games, but if I was JB I would have done the exact opposite of pulling BJ out of the game for the bobble out of bounds... I would have drawn up a play specifically for him the next time down. Something high percentage where he's isolated and can take a guy off the dribble to the left for a short floater. If he scores, boom, he completely forgets about the mistake and is settled into the game.

JB's substitution patterns are rarely tactical anymore, other than the last 3 minutes of a close game where he subs offense/defense. For the rest of the game he only uses subs to replace the guy who made the last mistake.

BJ is not yet physically ready for the ACC, someday, after getting into the weight room, he will be. He has the talent but have any of you noticed the type of players we are facing..?
But he's long and athletic - a perfect fit for the zone ... I really wish I knew why he didn't take a redshirt last year. This team baffles me at times. This roster is a disappointment for a school whose fans want to consider it a blue blood.

But he's long and athletic - a perfect fit for the zone ... I really wish I knew why he didn't take a redshirt last year. This team baffles me at times. This roster is a disappointment for a school whose fans want to consider it a blue blood.
Yup could be a replacement for Rob Lowe in Direct TV commercial