Hall of Fame
Is he committed or is he not?

Is the question his eligibility?

What do you think of him?

He's committed if the eligibility works out according to ESPN

The question is if his amateur clock has expired. He enrolled in JUCO in 2006, starting his clock. He returned from absence to play in 2010/2011, and that's 5 years in the mind of the NCAA, meaning he needs a waiver. The last thing i heard is it seems unlikely, which is f*cked up but typical of the NCAA.

No idea what to think of him, never seen him play.

The question is if his amateur clock has expired. He enrolled in JUCO in 2006, starting his clock. He returned from absence to play in 2010/2011, and that's 5 years in the mind of the NCAA, meaning he needs a waiver. The last thing i heard is it seems unlikely, which is f*cked up but typical of the NCAA.

The reason he might still be eligible is that he left college after enrolling in 2006 after 2 weeks, supposedly to earn money for his family. Thought I read the decision by the NCAA could be in 2 weeks or 2 years. The usual from them.

As to his play, he was 2nd team all conference with 8 sacks in 2010 and first team all conference (4 sacks, 11 TFL) in 2011. Great raw athlete...bench presses 405 pounds, runs a reported 4.6 40. 35' vertical. 6'3 250 pounds. If he gets here, I think he will be our best pass rusher and an immediate impact type player. If he gets here.

Id be shocked if he ever makes it here, NCAA does not usually rule in favor of the player in cases like this.

they grant players 6 years all the time.. hard to argue that he doesnt at least haev earned the right for one more year.. its not like he was playing all the time and really only played 2 years.. the kid should sue. really why do they have the limit anyway on how quickly you have to use your time up..

I'm convinced that the NCAA offices are filled with greedy, evil, soul-less motherf@#!ers who despite their public service announcements actually care nothing about the student athletes they supposedly are there to protect/help.

I'm convinced that the NCAA offices are filled with greedy, evil, soul-less motherf@#!ers who despite their public service announcements actually care nothing about the student athletes they supposedly are there to protect/help.

See: Albright, Tyrone

What makes me most mad about how the NCAA operates is that they'll bend over backwards to accommodate players who have already had professional careers in other sports [including those that have earned revenue, which logically violates them being "amateur" athletes anymore], or go out of their way to grant high profile players a 6th year of eligibility if they sustain an injury part way through a season, but when it comes to true student athletes--the ones they should ostensibly be most interested in supporting--they adopt a hard line stance and bog down in bureaucracy.

If he had a true hardship and can prove that he did actually work to support his family he should be granted the waiver. Of all of the incoming recruits with the exception of the kicker i think that Johnson would make the biggest impact next year. He is an adult mature physical specimen at a position of need. This isnt some 18 year old kid who needs two years in the SC program. Lets hope that he clears.

If he had a true hardship and can prove that he did actually work to support his family he should be granted the waiver. Of all of the incoming recruits with the exception of the kicker i think that Johnson would make the biggest impact next year. He is an adult mature physical specimen at a position of need. This isnt some 18 year old kid who needs two years in the SC program. Lets hope that he clears.
I don't give a crap if he didn't have a true hardship at the time - he never actually played and decided it wasn't for him at that point. To then deny a kid/man that has since change his mind and now wants to better his life because he practiced for 2 weeks when he was a kid is just evil.

It's perfectly ok in their eyes to take hundreds of thousands of dollars to play another sport out of high school and then decide when they're older to play football because they got paid to not enroll in a college, but sign a piece of paper when you're 17/18 and leave before a season ever actually takes place and you've now lost that same privilege? I'd say their priorities are well aligned with those of the students :bang:

I don't give a crap if he didn't have a true hardship at the time - he never actually played and decided it wasn't for him at that point. To then deny a kid/man that has since change his mind and now wants to better his life because he practiced for 2 weeks when he was a kid is just evil.

It's perfectly ok in their eyes to take hundreds of thousands of dollars to play another sport out of high school and then decide when they're older to play football because they got paid to not enroll in a college, but sign a piece of paper when you're 17/18 and leave before a season ever actually takes place and you've now lost that same privilege? I'd say their priorities are well aligned with those of the students :bang:
I agree that it is crazy he should be granted the waiver but this is the NCAA and their rulings never cease to amaze me.

they grant players 6 years all the time.. hard to argue that he doesnt at least haev earned the right for one more year.. its not like he was playing all the time and really only played 2 years.. the kid should sue. really why do they have the limit anyway on how quickly you have to use your time up..

Hes trying to get multiple years not "a sixth year" its not an injury waiver.

Bad side:
He is for sure ineligible under ncaa guidelines

Good Side:
He and his family nor anyone else made gain by his eligibility issue. If anyone gets an exception its Johnson.

What makes me most mad about how the NCAA operates is that they'll bend over backwards to accommodate players who have already had professional careers in other sports [including those that have earned revenue, which logically violates them being "amateur" athletes anymore].

Know this happens with baseball players, but didn't the NCAA come down hard on Jeremy Bloom and tell him to give up skiing (where he was an Olympian) if he wanted to play football at Colorado?

Know this happens with baseball players, but didn't the NCAA come down hard on Jeremy Bloom and tell him to give up skiing (where he was an Olympian) if he wanted to play football at Colorado?

I thought he had to give up the endorsements - could be wrong though, and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Seriously, how do you really feel? It's not healthy to bottle your feelings :)

I did a little research on the NCAA rules that are in play with Johnson's waiver request. Here is what I found:

NCAA Bylaws pertinent to Bryan Johnson's situation.

NCAA Bylaw 14.2.1 - Five-Year Rule

A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1 - Waiver Criteria

A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria detailed in this bylaw for circumstances of extraordinary or extreme hardship. A student-athlete who has exhausted his or her five years of eligibility may continue to practice (but not compete) for a maximum of 30 consecutive calendar days, provided the student-athlete's institution has filed such a request. Further, if such a request is denied prior to exhausting the 30 day practice period, the student-athlete must cease all practice activities upon the institution's notification of the denial.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1.1 - Circumstances Beyond Control

Circumstances considered to be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used shall include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating physical or mental circumstances;

(b) The student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a result of a life-threatening or incapacitating injury or illness suffered by a member of the student-athlete's immediate family, which clearly is supported by contemporaneous medical documentation;

(c) Reliance by the student-athlete upon written, contemporaneous, clearly erroneous academic advice provided to the student-athlete from a specific academic authority from a collegiate institution regarding the academic status of the student-athlete or prospective student-athlete, which directly leads to that individual not being eligible to participate and, but for the clearly erroneous advice, the student-athlete would have established eligibility for intercollegiate competition;

(d) Natural disasters (e.g., earthquakes, flood); and

(e) Extreme financial difficulties as a result of a specific event (e.g. layoff, death in the family) experienced by the student-athlete or by an individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent, which must prohibit the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athletics. These circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependant.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1.2 - Circumstances Within Control

Circumstances that are considered to be within the control of the student-athlete or the institution and cause a participation opportunity to be used include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) A student-athlete's decision to attend an institution that does not sponsor his/her sport, or decides not to participate at an institution that does sponsor his/her sport;

(b) An inability to participate due to failure to meet institutional/conference or NCAA academic requirements, or disciplinary reasons or incarceration culminating in or resulting from a conviction;

(c) Reliance by a student-athlete upon misinformation from a coaching staff member;

(d) Redshirt year;

(e) An inability to participate as a result of a transfer year in residence or fulfilling a condition for restoration eligibility; and

(f) A student-athlete's lack of understanding regarding the specific starting date of his or her five-year period of eligibility.

A hockey player at Air Force recently had his request for a waiver of the 5 year rule rejected. You can read the entire story here but I have pulled out a couple of paragraphs that are of interest below.

But the NCAA turned down Wright's waiver, and the committee on student-athlete reinstatement denied Wright's appeal because it "was unable to identify compelling extenuating circumstances to meet the requirements for extending the five-year period of eligibility or for waiving the start of the student-athlete's five-year clock."
In such cases, according to Stacey Osburn, the NCAA's associate director for public and media relations, the committee and staff also weigh that a student-athlete like Wright made the decision to delay enrollment at an NCAA school for athletic reasons (not for personal or academic motives).
The five-year rule attempts "to ensure a fair and level playing field for all student-athletes, including those that compete against the student-athletes applying for waivers," Osburn said.
"I thought that once they saw that I wasn't trying to cheat the system and that I was just trying to take care of my education that there was no harm or any negative side effects from my actions as far as athletics go," Wright said.
But in the letter confirming the denial of Wright's appeal, Jennifer Henderson, the NCAA's director of membership services/student-athlete reinstatement, wrote that "no additional appeal opportunity" exists.
If Johnson has a chance, it is with the extreme financial difficulties circumstance (paragraph e) in 30.6.1.1.

(e) Extreme financial difficulties as a result of a specific event (e.g. layoff, death in the family) experienced by the student-athlete or by an individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent, which must prohibit the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athletics. These circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependant.

Unless there was a layoff or other specific event that affected family finances during the time frame Johnson enrolled and attended classes the first time, I am not optimistic about his chances to win his waiver request. The good news is that decision to withdrawal from college in 2006 was clearly not driven by athletics. That seems to be a major consideration for the NCAA.

Looks like he has a chance under NCAA bylaw 30.6.1.1 section E. good find Tom!

I did a little research on the NCAA rules that are in play with Johnson's waiver request. Here is what I found:

Thanks Tom. What would a lot of research look like??

Agree with your conclusions. I think his appeal will be judged against the highlighted:

Extreme financial difficulties as a result of a specific event (e.g. layoff, death in the family) experienced by the student-athlete or by an individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent, which must prohibit the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athletics. These circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependant.

I don't know the specifics of Johnson's case, but clearly "financial hardship" is not going to be sufficient.

it also highlighted that the air force kid delayed enrollment for some athletic gain.

I also mentioned this would be his 6th yr as well. They give 6th yrs much more often than allowing more than 6 perhaps they would give him one yr back if nothing else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom