Buddy: "I'll be back" | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy: "I'll be back"

eric was a disaster as a defender. And he never did for syracuse what Buddy just did. and he didn't come back for a reason. And we were a better team after he left because we played better defense.
Our teams arguably had more talent when Eric played so he didn’t need to carry the team on his shoulders. I just looked at the stats...Eric assisted on more shots, he rebounded more and he could create his own shot when ever he wanted. He also was a key contributor on two big east championship teams. Buddy had a great final couple weeks of the season but I’m not sure I agree his season was better than anything Eric ever did. I love both players and I admit I struggle with comparisons between players who played in different decades with different roster composition.

Our teams arguably had more talent when Eric played so he didn’t need to carry the team on his shoulders. I just looked at the stats...Eric assisted on more shots, he rebounded more and he could create his own shot when ever he wanted. He also was a key contributor on two big east championship teams. Buddy had a great final couple weeks of the season but I’m not sure I agree his season was better than anything Eric ever did. I love both players and I admit I struggle with comparisons between players who played in different decades with different roster composition.

One year Eric played pg and averaged 4 assists, but he averaged 2.7 rebounds one season. Buddy averaged 2.6 this year. I‘m not seeing these rebounding numbers from Eric that you speak of. He averaged 2 and 3 assists his last season.

The stats are the stats and Buddy had better stats this season than Eric ever did. And Eric never was the main go to guy. He was always the second or third banana whether it be Gmac/Nichols/Flynn. I know the fans love him because of his swagger, but Eric never did what Buddy just did for than long of a stretch.
Gerry was a senior Eric’s freshman year and Jonny was a stud / lottery pick...so being second fiddle to those guys is hard to knock. Eric never played on teams that were so offensively challenged as our current roster...could he have scored 25-30 had we needed him to? Yes he absolutely could have but he didn’t need to because we had more balance.

Gerry was a senior Eric’s freshman year and Jonny was a stud / lottery pick...so being second fiddle to those guys is hard to knock. Eric never played on teams that were so offensively challenged as our current roster...could he have scored 25-30 had we needed him to? Yes he absolutely could have but he didn’t need to because we had more balance.

And guess what? We had a better offense this season than we did than all but one of the seasons he was here.

and yet when he couldn't play against Memphis down there, we went and won and when he couldn't come back and play in what would have been his sr year, we had one of our best teams ever. Just a coincidence I suppose. Eric was a talented player. He was dreadful on defense. Mainly because he wasn't interested in playing it. I don't want to knock the kid, I love how he has turned himself around. But he never did anything like what Buddy did the last 8 or 9 games. Just didn't. and to suppose that he could have is just that. Supposing.

One year Eric played pg and averaged 4 assists, but he averaged 2.7 rebounds one season. Buddy averaged 2.6 this year. I‘m not seeing these rebounding numbers from Eric that you speak of. He averaged 2 and 3 assists his last season.
For me, and I am only speaking for me, I would take Eric over Buddy if I was picking a guard for my team. While not as good a pure shooter he could shoot it (37.8% career from 3) and he was great getting to basket. He also had a tight handle. Again this is me and I love both players.

If I needed two points to win a game I’d want Eric driving, if I needed a 3 I’d want Buddy.

Both guys are great players, Eric probably could average 30 on this team but I don’t think we’d be any better than having Buddy.

and yet when he couldn't play against Memphis down there, we went and won and when he couldn't come back and play in what would have been his sr year, we had one of our best teams ever. Just a coincidence I suppose. Eric was a talented player. He was dreadful on defense. Mainly because he wasn't interested in playing it. I don't want to knock the kid, I love how he has turned himself around. But he never did anything like what Buddy did the last 8 or 9 games. Just didn't. and to suppose that he could have is just that. Supposing
and yet when he couldn't play against Memphis down there, we went and won and when he couldn't come back and play in what would have been his sr year, we had one of our best teams ever. Just a coincidence I suppose. Eric was a talented player. He was dreadful on defense. Mainly because he wasn't interested in playing it. I don't want to knock the kid, I love how he has turned himself around. But he never did anything like what Buddy did the last 8 or 9 games. Just didn't. and to suppose that he could have is just that. Supposing.
And guess what? We had a better offense this season than we did than all but one of the seasons he was here.
What measure are you basing the better offense from?

A star? Sorry but you are wrong.

Carmelo was a star. Texas and Kansas did everything they could to stop him and they couldn’t.

My god, CJ Fair and Josh Pace and Billy Edelin were better. How about Kris Joseph?

Buddy wilted with an injured player guarding him. Buddy is what he is. A spot up shooter. But he is our best shooter which says more about our recruiting than it does about his ability.

thats is unfair and over the top

He just averaged between 25 and 30 pts a game for 8 or 9 games. That is a star player. My God, who cares what he would have done somewhere else.

SMH
One good stretch doesn’t make you a star in my opinion. Buddy isn’t athletic enough to get by any decent defender, he’s not a good passer, he dribbles into traffic without a plan and turns the ball over because of it, somehow he isn’t as good as you’d think he’d be at the top of the zone. if his shots aren’t falling he’s invisible. a star player isn’t a player that if you manage to take out one part of their game, you completely stuff them. Chris Duarte for example, one of the best shooters in the country, if his shot isn’t falling he has other ways to hurt you. that is a star player. i think buddy is a very good player, and when he’s on it’s really something to see, but i would not say he’s a star.

One good stretch doesn’t make you a star in my opinion. Buddy isn’t athletic enough to get by any decent defender, he’s not a good passer, he dribbles into traffic without a plan and turns the ball over because of it, somehow he isn’t as good as you’d think he’d be at the top of the zone. if his shots aren’t falling he’s invisible. a star player isn’t a player that if you manage to take out one part of their game, you completely stuff them. Chris Duarte for example, one of the best shooters in the country, if his shot isn’t falling he has other ways to hurt you. that is a star player. i think buddy is a very good player, and when he’s on it’s really something to see, but i would not say he’s a star.

Some of you are trying too hard. Buddy averages less turnovers per game than Duarte by the way who’s a fantastic player in his own right. In normal years we would be ecstatic returning a player of this caliber who averaged 18ppg. If he had a different last name I suspect people would feel differently.

Anyway by some logic on this board Dion Waiters wasn’t a star because he went 2-8 in his last college game and stars don’t do that.

Some of you are trying too hard. Buddy averages less turnovers per game than Duarte by the way who’s a fantastic player in his own right. In normal years we would be ecstatic returning a player of this caliber who averaged 18ppg. If he had a different last name I suspect people would feel differently.

Anyway by some logic on this board Dion Waiters wasn’t a star because he went 2-8 in his last college game and stars don’t do that.
did i say stars couldn’t have bad games? and he averages .5 more turnovers per game.. i’m absolutely thrilled to have buddy back, i just simply disagree with the notion that he is a star.

Are you his uncle? He wilted. And he missed at least 3 open 3’s. Stars don’t do that.
The very best volume 3-point shooters at every level miss open looks and have horrendous shooting nights on occasion. Look at their game logs some time. It's the nature of the beast.

Buddy is a college basketball star now.
I don’t get people.

He earned it.
Star doesn’t mean he is flawless.
He needs to work on his driving ability and ball handling.

He is a star now.

I don’t get this thread.
He literally carried the team for a month offensively.

If we had a Elijah Hughes or CJ Fair this team would have gone to the Final Four.

The SF position didn’t give us enough offense this postseason.

A star? Sorry but you are wrong.

Carmelo was a star. Texas and Kansas did everything they could to stop him and they couldn’t.

My god, CJ Fair and Josh Pace and Billy Edelin were better. How about Kris Joseph?

Buddy wilted with an injured player guarding him. Buddy is what he is. A spot up shooter. But he is our best shooter which says more about our recruiting than it does about his ability.
It's funny you mention Carmelo as the example... here's Carmelo's stats vs. Oklahoma State in the Sweet 16 in 2003. Did he "wilt" under the defensive pressure, & because of that was a non-star in the tourney? Stop it. The fact that you can so easily disregard the last 8-9 games by Buddy at all, for the one agains Houston is ridiculous at best & intentionally malicious at worst.
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.01.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.07.05 PM.png

Buddy this year had a better season than Devendorf ever did here. And Devendorf was a lousy defender in his own right. This comes off as an agenda filled argument tbh.
They’ve been coming out of the woodwork since last night. Some of these guys have been waiting at least two weeks for this moment.

It's funny you mention Carmelo as the example... here's Carmelo's stats vs. Oklahoma State in the Sweet 16 in 2003. Did he "wilt" under the defensive pressure, & because of that was a non-star in the tourney? Stop it. The fact that you can so easily disregard the last 8-9 games by Buddy at all, for the one agains Houston is ridiculous at best & intentionally malicious at worst.
View attachment 198964
View attachment 198965
Sorry. But the eye test last night was undeniable. He’s not a star. He’s a spot up shooter at best. See you guys in the fall.

let’s go mets

Interesting discussion. I'd take Buddy over Devendorf overall, but last night in the second half I would have swapped for Devo, simply because Buddy wasn't able to get his looks and Devo could have potentially created for himself off the dribble. But that's a one game situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom