Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 151 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

No doubt. Reid gets ripped for his clock management but as an offensive innovator he's in a league by himself. Of course it helps to have a super elite QB.
Too innovative sometimes - like on the 3rd and 1 option. Changed the course of the game as it put Buff less than a score behind rather than 2 behind if they eventually scored a TD which I think they would have.

No doubt. Reid gets ripped for his clock management but as an offensive innovator he's in a league by himself. Of course it helps to have a super elite QB.
Yep, but the screen stuff was obvious back in the Eagles days too. He gets his OLine out in space in a way nobody else does. He just gets it.

6.jpg

So after 24 hours of reflecting on the game, my thoughts are this:
  • We play any other QB but Mahomes that day and it's a complete blowout. The scheme worked the way it was intended 90% of the game, but Mahomes was playing at a super-human level that only him and Josh can reach. I take my hat off to him
  • Reid out schemed our D by sucking in the LB's with short routes and having Tyreke run the intermediate cross across the field right behind them. With a normal player that tactic won't work too often because the safeties will blow him up. But Tyreke was also playing at a super-human level that I don't think anyone has ever reached other than maybe be prime time or Barry Sanders in the peak of their careers. I take my hat off to him
  • The last 13 seconds and the OT... that's on the coaching staff. They stuck to their scheme w/o accounting for game situations. They basically had one path to scoring and we gave it to them... if the coaches or players had done even one thing different its ballgame.
  • The future... I would keep Frazier if he doesn't get gigs somewhere else. The D works against non-superhuman talent.
  • I know it's insane to say that I don't care if Daboll leaves or goes coming off the last two games... but the dude makes some head scratching decisions and really overthinks things. My hope is Dorsey can step up in his place and we don't miss a drum beat but it's definitely a risk
  • Offseason priorities - Interior oline probably needs a couple of dudes, especially if Morse retires or gets another concussion. Another DB or two...we desperately need to move away from Levi Wallace and we have Tre coming off an ACL. I'm torn on the LBs - against any other team that game is a blow out because of the D... I would roll it back w/ Edmunds and Milano and maybe get another impact player to back them up besides Klein.
  • I'll address DE by itself because its the one area where the team has invested but the results are not there. This team needs two impact DEs and we don't have them. Not sure how this gets fixed w/ the resources there. Maybe we move Basham inside and cut AJ?
Am I sad over the game? Yes? Am I going to jump out the window? No? Mistakes happen... its life. Yes those 13 seconds suck, but you can also got to some really crappy play calling on a few drives where if Daboll didn't call two runs in a row or fall in love with the Josh keeper, or threw a damn screen pass or a bubble screen to Dggs the drive would have been extended and there wouldn't have been 13 seconds left.

So after 24 hours of reflecting on the game, my thoughts are this:
  • We play any other QB but Mahomes that day and it's a complete blowout. The scheme worked the way it was intended 90% of the game, but Mahomes was playing at a super-human level that only him and Josh can reach. I take my hat off to him
  • Reid out schemed our D by sucking in the LB's with short routes and having Tyreke run the intermediate cross across the field right behind them. With a normal player that tactic won't work too often because the safeties will blow him up. But Tyreke was also playing at a super-human level that I don't think anyone has ever reached other than maybe be prime time or Barry Sanders in the peak of their careers. I take my hat off to him
  • The last 13 seconds and the OT... that's on the coaching staff. They stuck to their scheme w/o accounting for game situations. They basically had one path to scoring and we gave it to them... if the coaches or players had done even one thing different its ballgame.
  • The future... I would keep Frazier if he doesn't get gigs somewhere else. The D works against non-superhuman talent.
  • I know it's insane to say that I don't care if Daboll leaves or goes coming off the last two games... but the dude makes some head scratching decisions and really overthinks things. My hope is Dorsey can step up in his place and we don't miss a drum beat but it's definitely a risk
  • Offseason priorities - Interior oline probably needs a couple of dudes, especially if Morse retires or gets another concussion. Another DB or two...we desperately need to move away from Levi Wallace and we have Tre coming off an ACL. I'm torn on the LBs - against any other team that game is a blow out because of the D... I would roll it back w/ Edmunds and Milano and maybe get another impact player to back them up besides Klein.
  • I'll address DE by itself because its the one area where the team has invested but the results are not there. This team needs two impact DEs and we don't have them. Not sure how this gets fixed w/ the resources there. Maybe we move Basham inside and cut AJ?
Am I sad over the game? Yes? Am I going to jump out the window? No? Mistakes happen... its life. Yes those 13 seconds suck, but you can also got to some really crappy play calling on a few drives where if Daboll didn't call two runs in a row or fall in love with the Josh keeper, or threw a damn screen pass or a bubble screen to Dggs the drive would have been extended and there wouldn't have been 13 seconds left.
The DL did get pressure but Mahomes is so elusive.

Good points above, but scoring with 13 seconds left is about as good as you can get. The goal was to score period... yeah if you can guarantee scoring with 1 second left, sure. But that's not how it goes.

And yes... I am still very sad.

The DL did get pressure but Mahomes is so elusive.

First defensive drive they had two missed sacks and they lost contain on Mahomes for the TD. Also had a 3rd down sack in the red zone later negated by the Defensive holding penalty.

First defensive drive they had two missed sacks and they lost contain on Mahomes for the TD. Also had a 3rd down sack in the red zone later negated by the Defensive holding penalty.
I felt like Rousseau in particular was getting pushed too far upfield. Regardless, of the KC performance, no OC is going to game plan for our DEs. If we had even one DE who the Chiefs would need to keep someone in to double time that would be a huge help that would take some pressure off the back 7.

Good points above, but scoring with 13 seconds left is about as good as you can get. The goal was to score period... yeah if you can guarantee scoring with 1 second left, sure. But that's not how it goes.

And yes... I am still very sad.
I don't disagree... the coaches messed up. But I'm not throwing away a good coach for one bad period of play either. For better or worse, the D had games this year where they carried the O.

i bet they wish they had just took the penalty on first down.. grabbed everyone ate up 7-8 secs and took the holding calls.. would have taken more time off then that play did.. then do it again and KC would still have been only to the 50... if they had forced mahommes to hold the ball for 10 secs there would have been time for almost nothing..

I felt like Rousseau in particular was getting pushed too far upfield. Regardless, of the KC performance, no OC is going to game plan for our DEs. If we had even one DE who the Chiefs would need to keep someone in to double time that would be a huge help that would take some pressure off the back 7.

Need the young DEs to step up next year, I thought Rousseau had a solid rookie year but he's still going to be a bit of a project.

Last edited:
I read something that sort of uplifted me for a split second...

We lost in the AFC title game in 88 and the divisional round in 89 before the 4 straight SBs.

I think the Chiefs are going to win the Super Bowl, we were right there with them. Stings that we blew that game but we're right there with them.

I think we saw the Super Bowl on Sunday. The so-called Super Bowl would be lucky to have the Sunday match up.

Too innovative sometimes - like on the 3rd and 1 option. Changed the course of the game as it put Buff less than a score behind rather than 2 behind if they eventually scored a TD which I think they would have.
Yeah not every move works but a lot of them do. Remember the 4th and one against the Browns in last year's playoff? That was impressive. Or the myriad red zone plays the guy devises? And the common thread is that his QBs (Mahomes, McNabb or others) rarely turn the ball over. The guy is a great coach.

I think we saw the Super Bowl on Sunday. The so-called Super Bowl would be lucky to have the Sunday match up.
I too will root against the Chiefs (they are not that unlikeable, but I am just tired of them now). But really, the best thing that can happen is for them to win that second Super Bowl in three years. They'll get complacent to some small degree and Allen and Co. will use the fuel from Sunday Night's setback to zoom right past them a year from now.

If the Bengals or Rams/49ers somehow win it all, the Chiefs will have that motivation to fuel their preps for next season.

BTW, I understand the NFL is tremendously volatile, but the Bills schedule next year looks quite intense and includes ANOTHER regular-season visit to Arrowhead.

I too will root against the Chiefs (they are not that unlikeable, but I am just tired of them now). But really, the best thing that can happen is for them to win that second Super Bowl in three years. They'll get complacent to some small degree and Allen and Co. will use the fuel from Sunday Night's setback to zoom right past them a year from now.

If the Bengals or Rams/49ers somehow win it all, the Chiefs will have that motivation to fuel their preps for next season.

BTW, I understand the NFL is tremendously volatile, but the Bills schedule next year looks quite intense and includes ANOTHER regular-season visit to Arrowhead.

We have some tough road games but I think the Chiefs have a tougher schedule. Our toughest home game might be the Packers and I expect they'll lose Rodgers/Adams

I think someone said we play at Arrowhead in 2023 as well.

Schedule could be tough. You never know. Green Bay without Rodgers wouldn’t be anything I’m worried about.

I remember two years ago thinking our schedule was brutal, but then Seattle faded and San Fran’s entire team was injured.

Hard to imagine the AFCN not being tougher next yr. Ravens can't be more injured, Steelers/Browns hard to get worse QB play.
@LAR not an ideal 17th game.
It is always better to get the Packers/Vikings at home on the Norse rotation so there's that.

Hard to imagine the AFCN not being tougher next yr. Ravens can't be more injured, Steelers/Browns hard to get worse QB play.
@LAR not an ideal 17th game.
It is always better to get the Packers/Vikings at home on the Norse rotation so there's that.

Steelers might start Rudolph at QB who might be worse than Ben was this year. Browns will be improved but they don't scare me that much.

Good breakdown of what the Bills could've done differently. Prevent defense prevents winning

Sounds like Bass was supposed to squib kick but when the call was communicated to special teams, Bass was off practicing and never heard the call.

During the kick you can see Siran Neal look at the sideline confused like, what just happened?

I’m not sure I can even comprehend the level of incompetence from HC -> DC -> ST that encompassed 13 seconds of game time.

Never mind Kelce straight up clowning our coaching staff out of our own defensive timeout as he read the defense and told Mahomes what to do if we came out in the same inexplicable look.

I honestly think the only thing that will move me off this frustration towards our coaching staff is by moving off, in any way, Leslie Frazier. Farwell isn’t far behind, but at least his is just a mistake… not constant incompetence in a big moment and a unit that consistently underperforms against good teams.

Last edited:
Sounds like Bass was supposed to squib kick but when the call was communicated to special teams, Bass was off practicing and never heard the call.

During the kick you can see Siran Neal look at the sideline confused like, what just happened?

I’m not sure I can even comprehend the level of incompetence from HC -> DC -> ST that encompassed 13 seconds of game time.

Never mind Kelce straight up clowning our coaching staff out of our own defensive timeout as he read the defense and told Mahomes what to do if we came out in the same inexplicable look.

I honestly think the only thing that will move me off this frustration towards our coaching staff is by moving off, in any way, Leslie Frazier. Farwell isn’t far behind, but at least his is just a mistake… not constant incompetence and a unit that consistently underperforms against good teams.
With you on everything except the buck just stops with McDermott for me. It has to. I don't care about a coachspeak quote from a month ago people keep referencing about it being Frazier's defense. This is a defensive HC obsessed with the basketball time out on D which as you point out lost the game (nice job getting outfoxed by a meathead TE). What is he doing if he's not taking over in that moment.

I can't believe how much it still sucks 3 days later. It's such a long list of schematic blunders on those 2 plays - From rushing 4, to no jam, to covering sidelines, and the safties 50yds back - does this even prevent a TD? Good luck tackling Hill when he gets full steam; easier to get him when he catches the ball.
Our HC choked away the Super Bowl. Disgusting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom