Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

They bet a lot on Ford improving a lot to improve the interior blocking. The Tackles and Morse are good but the interior is clearly the weak point of the line.

They bet a lot on Ford improving a lot to improve the interior blocking. The Tackles and Morse are good but the interior is clearly the weak point of the line.
PFF grades are out, fwiw.

Morse and Ford graded out as our highest, in the 60’s.

Dawkins/Williams around 50.

Boettger and Feliciano got REKT… both around 30.

One thing that went under the radar bit with the bad playcalling and O-line struggles was the fact that in the second half we struggled to generate any sort of a pass rush. We've spent millions in free agent funds and now 3 draft picks the last 2 years ( 2nd rounders and a 1st) and its still a problem. Rousseau looked decent in his first start no issue there but Basham being inactive is frustrating especially when Hughes is clearly well past his prime and Epenesa hasn't shown much if I'am being honest. Frazier's Defenses have been good while he's been here but he has struggled to get a consistent rush and we rarely blitz on 3rd and long which drives me insane especially with our ultra athletic LB's.

Last edited:
PFF grades are out, fwiw.

Morse and Ford graded out as our highest, in the 60’s.

Dawkins/Williams around 50.

Boettger and Feliciano got REKT… both around 30.

I'm not a big PFF guy but those grades matched what I was seeing yesterday.

One thing that went under the radar bit with the bad playcalling and O-line struggles was the fact that in the second half we struggled to generate any sort of a pass rush. We've spent million in free agent funds and now 3 draft picks the last 2 years ( 2nd rounders and a 1st) and its still a problem. Rousseau looked decent in his first start no issue there but Basham being inactive is frustrating especially when Hughes is clearly well past his prime Epenesa hasn't shown much if I'am being honest. Frazier's Defenses have been good while he's been here but he has struggled to get a consistent rush and we rarely blitz on 3rd and long which drives me insane especailly with our ultra athletic LB's.

It's especially tough seeing Creed Humphrey have a good debut on the O-line for the Chiefs. Def need to be able to pressure more against the top teams without needing to blitz. I was pretty happy with how Oliver played though.

It's especially tough seeing Creed Humphrey have a good debut on the O-line for the Chiefs. Def need to be able to pressure more against the top teams without needing to blitz. I was pretty happy with how Oliver played though.

Ya it was good see his name called multiple times, wish he was more of a factor in the pass rush but I think without a healthy Starr that's unlikely.

Allen has had huge games against Miami. I expect a 4 touchdown, 400 total yard type day.

Well that was terrible. Just catching up on here. Went down to Cabo for a few days and had to evacuate because of a damn hurricane. Then get home and had to move into a new apt for a few months before our house is done. Did sit down for an additional 3 hours of misery yesterday and have about nothing good to say about it. Been conditioned to expect miserable experiences from the Bills over the majority of my life but it's a whole different feeling when you expect them to actually be great and get a shitter performance like this.

I'm not a big PFF guy but those grades matched what I was seeing yesterday.
Yea, agreed.

I’ll give Williams and Dawkins a pass. Dawkins, when healthy, is an upper echelon tackle and Williams is above average. Dawkins getting over covid and Williams having a tomato can next to him and a motivated TJ Watt wasn’t ideal. We really need Dawkins to get back in shape quickly.

Morse or Feliciano need to play Center and the other is the backup. I can’t stomach Feliciano in this starting OL at Guard. He’s, by far, the weakest link.

Yea, agreed.

I’ll give Williams and Dawkins a pass. Dawkins, when healthy, is an upper echelon tackle and Williams is above average. Dawkins getting over covid and Williams having a tomato can next to him and a motivated TJ Watt wasn’t ideal. We really need Dawkins to get back in shape quickly.

Morse or Feliciano need to play Center and the other is the backup. I can’t stomach Feliciano in this starting OL at Guard. He’s, by far, the weakest link.
Wondering if by the end of the year we see something like Dawkins/Williams/Morse/Ford/Brown. Probably the 5 best lineman.

Still pretty butthurt about Teller becoming arguably the best guard in the league. How the heck could they miss that bad on him?

One thing that went under the radar bit with the bad playcalling and O-line struggles was the fact that in the second half we struggled to generate any sort of a pass rush. We've spent millions in free agent funds and now 3 draft picks the last 2 years ( 2nd rounders and a 1st) and its still a problem. Rousseau looked decent in his first start no issue there but Basham being inactive is frustrating especially when Hughes is clearly well past his prime and Epenesa hasn't shown much if I'am being honest. Frazier's Defenses have been good while he's been here but he has struggled to get a consistent rush and we rarely blitz on 3rd and long which drives me insane especially with our ultra athletic LB's.
Focusing on the front is definitely the old school approach where as a lot of the more modern data points suggest coverage in the back is every bit as important. I mean Mahomes was unloading so fast Bruce Smith wouldn't have mattered last year. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt they're picking the BPA because I have no idea how College DE X grades out vs CB Y but umm ya you can only do that for so long, feel free to play like a high pick any day now guys.

Focusing on the front is definitely the old school approach where as a lot of the more modern data points suggest coverage in the back is every bit as important. I mean Mahomes was unloading so fast Bruce Smith wouldn't have mattered last year. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt they're picking the BPA because I have no idea how College DE X grades out vs CB Y but umm ya you can only do that for so long, feel free to play like a high pick any day now guys.
The front is why the Bucs dominated the Chiefs in the Super Bowl which is what they are trying to replicate. Chiefs pouring resources into the OL may prevent that from being a possibility.

The front is why the Bucs dominated the Chiefs in the Super Bowl which is what they are trying to replicate. Chiefs pouring resources into the OL may prevent that from being a possibility.
Agreed. Pressure, and increasingly pressure up the middle, is the best way to slow down elite passing offenses.

Steelers back end is Haden/Minkah and some randoms.

They dominated our passing game because of the DL.

Bills are caught in a catch 22, they had plenty of $$ but spent it on bringing in guys like Diggs and others and re-signing key pieces/givign extensions. On the flip side we haven't been drafting in optimal spots to land elite DE's or CB's and last years cap being lowered significantly really hurt. ALl that said we have now spent a lot on the D-line and need to address the 2nd CB spot and coverage LB (fully admitting those are extremely rare). Safety remains in a great place but getting a young guy there would be a smart move as Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger.

Ya I don't know how repeatable that is. Just a month earlier Hill torched the same defense for like 300yds in their stadium when the whole OL wasn't 4 backups. Hope I'm wrong otherwise they're going to be near impossible for the next decade but it was basically the only bad game of PM's career; just seems like that was a fluke. Browns have a nasty front too.

Bills are caught in a catch 22, they had plenty of $$ but spent it on bringing in guys like Diggs and others and re-signing key pieces/givign extensions. On the flip side we haven't been drafting in optimal spots to land elite DE's or CB's and last years cap being lowered significantly really hurt. ALl that said we have now spent a lot on the D-line and need to address the 2nd CB spot and coverage LB (fully admitting those are extremely rare). Safety remains in a great place but getting a young guy there would be a smart move as Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger.
IOL is a great place to address with a late 1st or in the 2nd.

No issues with the Rousseau pick, but when you double up and take Basham, and he’s not even active as your IOL gets manhandled in Week One… that opens Beane up for legitimate criticism of his roster management.

Ya I don't know how repeatable that is. Just a month earlier Hill torched the same defense for like 300yds in their stadium when the whole OL wasn't 4 backups. Hope I'm wrong otherwise they're going to be near impossible for the next decade but it was basically the only bad game of PM's career; just seems like that was a fluke. Browns have a nasty front too.
Sadly, we either need to improve a lot or Kelce needs to get old quick. Mahomes is great but they have the most indefensible 1/2 punch in football with Hill/Kelce.

IOL is a great place to address with a late 1st or in the 2nd.

No issues with the Rousseau pick, but when you double up and take Basham, and he’s not even active as your IOL gets manhandled in Week One… that opens Beane up for legitimate criticism of his roster management.

Agreed on IOL, should have went with a Guard either 2nd or 3rd round especially if Basham isn't inactive on a team in desperate need of DE help. Hughes coming off the books next year should open up money to get an above average guard in here.

Sadly, we either need to improve a lot or Kelce needs to get old quick. Mahomes is great but they have the most indefensible 1/2 punch in football with Hill/Kelce.

Ya the only real hope with Kelce is that like Gronk the injuries finally add up and he becomes a shell of himself. Gronk taking some time off has helped him now obviously but he's not the same guy.

Mentioned it earlier but I would've love to get Humphrey. He could've prolly started at Guard this year and also be the long-term center when Morse retires.

Think Basham will be ok, but with Rousseau and Epenesa in the pipeline it was a luxury pick.

Agreed on IOL, should have went with a Guard either 2nd or 3rd round especially if Basham isn't inactive on a team in desperate need of DE help. Hughes coming off the books next year should open up money to get an above average guard in here.
I like Brown in the 3rd but Basham seemed redundant when we all saw what KC did to our IOL.

I get the planning for the future, but unless they have some in-house fixes for the OL, Feliciano at RG looks to be an albatross on the Offense against great defenses.

Mentioned it earlier but I would've love to get Humphrey. He could've prolly started at Guard this year and also be the long-term center when Morse retires.

Think Basham will be ok, but with Rousseau and Epenesa in the pipeline it was a luxury pick.

I can only assume that the staff knew that Hughes and Addison were both done after this year and wanted to build through the draft versus FA. Still we need to address Guard at some point and Morse isn't a long term guy with his concussion history.

Very interesting perspective. Matchups are a thing in the NFL and this makes me feel a bit better. Not great that the Steelers are tough matchup for us, but even last year, Allen and the Offense had similar numbers against Pittsburgh.

Also, last year we had the Pick 6 to break the game our way. This year, the Steelers got a punt block TD.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom