Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread | Page 117 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread

I was out of the room when it happened and they never showed a replay.
I just saw this.

It doesn't seem like a hit that would produce dire results. I'm not even sure their helmets hit. That creates two possibilities in my mind. 1) The nature of football is that it doesn't have to be an unusual hit for a player to become seriously injured and that has serious implications for the sport or 2) This was something beyond the impact of the hit and there was something else, or some previous injury that produced the result.

I was out of the room when it happened and they never showed a replay.
I just saw this.

It doesn't seem like a hit that would produce dire results. I'm not even sure their helmets hit. That creates two possibilities in my mind. 1) The nature of football is that it doesn't have to be an unusual hit for a player to become seriously injured and that has serious implications for the sport or 2) This was something beyond the impact of the hit and there was something else, or some previous injury that produced the result.
Based on info currently available, and take this with a grain of salt cause I know nothing factual here, my modestly educated guess would be that it is a freak type incident that occurred based on combination of the trauma and a predisposition or a pre-existing condition. obviously the young man has experienced innumerable episodes of trauma and this, to our knowledge, never occurred. Why now? who knows. I don't think this is going to be any reason to ban football or contact sports that involve major collisions though. its a bad thing that happened to someone who didn't deserve it. not cool. But kids get cancer and and kids die from cancer every day. what can you say.

Hockey fans may remember this exact thing happened to Chris Pronger in the late 90's. He ended up coming back a few months later and played for years after. Hopefully the same thing can be said for Hamlin in the future.
Nothing was visually more scary than the Clint Malarchuk incident where it appeared we were seeing a man exsanguinate before our eyes

Lot of piling on the NFL from all over the twitter verse. It’s easy and often times warranted. I just don’t see that here. and everyone claiming the nfl is neglectful of player safety, just realize NFL does what it does because we respond positively to it. We drive their actions. it’s a mirror. We as a collective don’t care about player safety either or the league probably doesn’t exist.

Hockey fans may remember this exact thing happened to Chris Pronger in the late 90's. He ended up coming back a few months later and played for years after. Hopefully the same thing can be said for Hamlin in the future.

This was definitely the thing that came to mind for me. Especially because I was a Red Wings fan growing up.

I don't mean this to be controversial, but this is not even really a "Football" injury. Yes, it probably occurred (speculation here) because of the accidental helmet to the chest during the tackle, but this kind of thing is generally more feared in youth Baseball/Lacrosse than Football.

It is obviously tragic every time and wherever it happens, but it can happen in many sports at any time.

Could still end up being a congenital condition, but it would be very coincidental for it to hit after that specific play.

Doesn't change anything that did or will happen, I just find it interesting. This is a risk that extends WAY beyond pro football.

I'm still really unclear about the specifics of what happened, and the combination of the cameras being blocked (which I understand) while work was being done, and rampant misinformation on Twitter, has made it more muddled.

I read somewhere his heart was stopped for 9 minutes. Is that the latest?
We also saw him being worked on immediately, within 2 minutes if not less. Any idea when the AED was used?

It seems that the news overnight has been cautiously positive, although I still worry about what oxygen deprivation may have done to brain function long term.

I could really care less what they do with this game. Not really sure how they can play it at this point, not really sure how they can declare a winner half way through the 1st quarter either. I guess they could just call Cinci the winner and move on, don't really care

I don't mean this to be controversial, but this is not even really a "Football" injury. Yes, it probably occurred (speculation here) because of the accidental helmet to the chest during the tackle, but this kind of thing is generally more feared in youth Baseball/Lacrosse than Football.

It is obviously tragic every time and wherever it happens, but it can happen in many sports at any time.

Could still end up being a congenital condition, but it would be very coincidental for it to hit after that specific play.
I'm still really unclear about the specifics of what happened, and the combination of the cameras being blocked (which I understand) while work was being done, and rampant misinformation on Twitter, has made it more muddled.

We also saw him being worked on immediately, within 2 minutes if not less. Any idea when the AED was used?

It seems that the news overnight has been cautiously positive, although I still worry about what oxygen deprivation may have done to brain function long term.
They say CPR was initiated “within seconds” . Not sure how long till they shocked him. Must take a decent amount of time to get the pads off

I found the roll up by the Cinci lineman into Josh Allen's legs rather odd as well, you can see him spot his location and then roll, it was far from incidental but whatever

What happened was Higgins absolutely trucked him right square in the chest. It was a violent collision.

What happened was Higgins absolutely trucked him right square in the chest. It was a violent collision.
No sorry I saw the play. I am talking about the aftermath. Twitter has been a mess of misinfo overnight.

They say CPR was initiated “within seconds” . Not sure how long till they shocked him. Must take a decent amount of time to get the pads off
I could see that. It looked like trainers were there within 30 seconds of him falling, and I imagine it was only 10-15 seconds before they realized his heart was stopped.

Hoping that speed will help.

I could really care less what they do with this game. Not really sure how they can play it at this point, not really sure how they can declare a winner half way through the 1st quarter either. I guess they could just call Cinci the winner and move on, don't really care
I cant see them playing it. I imagine its going to be a one time waiver of sorts where both teams will only play 16 games. Yeah, its going to screw up standings but who cares. Base seeding on percentages.

CPR brought his heartbeat back. AEDs won’t start a stopped heart, they restore rhythm to a heart that’s beating out of rhythm.

I found the roll up by the Cinci lineman into Josh Allen's legs rather odd as well, you can see him spot his location and then roll, it was far from incidental but whatever
Yeah, dirty as hell, as was Hurst jumping on Johnson's back, as he was laying on the ground

I didn't want to say it, but yes. Higgins loaded up and hit Hamlin in the chest, helmet first.

These guys need to calm down a bit. I’m pretty sure that’s just standard protocol for when a game is temporarily halted.
That seems right. But then Troy Vincent probably shouldn't be saying "I don't know where people are getting this 5minute thing from".
Joe Buck (say what you want about him) wouldn't just pull that out of thin air.

I place absolutely no fault with Higgins. That stuff happens all the time. Just the prior drive Diggs did something similar on his catch to grab a few more yards up field.
It's different leading with the shoulder vs. the helmet.

Too many "coincidences" in under a quarter of game time for me: the Hendrickson barrel roll into Allen's legs, Hurst spearing Johnson in the back of the head, and this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom