Buss Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Buss Patterson

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Why does everyone say that Syracuse does not have a backup PG? Buss is without a doubt PG and a lot of people here have him as a 2. He played PG at Brewster and was the player of the year in the best prep league in the country. He is fully capable of running point and I think he will see a lot more minutes than what some expect around here. Completely expect the PG to either be him or Ennis at all times. He can run the show. Great handle and can really pass. No idea why everyone has him as a 2 and keep saying the cuse dont have a backup PG. Because he is in my mind a PG,without a doubt.

Why does everyone say that Syracuse does not have a backup PG? Buss is without a doubt PG and a lot of people here have him as a 2. He played PG at Brewster and was the player of the year in the best prep league in the country. He is fully capable of running point and I think he will see a lot more minutes than what some expect around here. Completely expect the PG to either be him or Ennis at all times. He can run the show. Great handle and can really pass. No idea why everyone has him as a 2 and keep saying the cuse dont have a backup PG. Because he is in my mind a PG,without a doubt.
Just discussed this with Tom Cat yesterday, he said Patterson had 9 assists in a game. He looks like the logical 2nd option at PG.

When he committed, he was a two guard with ballhandling one of his areas to improve on. It sounds like he's really improved the handle over the past year but very few on the board actually see high school games so I suspect that's why the stigma is there. I'm really excited to see him in the Canada games, think he could be a really pleasant surprise for us and give us some nice minutes.

I am absolutely intrigued by what Patterson will bring to the table. But, every credible scouting report that I am aware of questions his handle. Skill set necessity #1 for PG at this level is handle. Patterson is widely considered a game changing defender. He has a freakish wing span, is considered a very good passer, can get to the rim, and is a scorer - at least at the prep level. But, to think that he is "without a doubt" a PG for a program like SU might be wishful thinking at this point.

Even so, I can't wait to see what he can do at the top of the zone and in transition.

Check out this scouting report that JarHead shared: http://syracusefan.com/threads/scouting-report-ron-patterson.36053/

I don't love his handle. I think he gets a little loose the ball for a pg especially with his left hand. I'm not saying this can't improve but it is a concern.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I am absolutely intrigued by what Patterson will bring to the table. But, every credible scouting report that I am aware of questions his handle. Skill set necessity #1 for PG at this level is handle. Patterson is widely considered a game changing defender. He has a freakish wing span, is considered a very good passer, can get to the rim, and is a scorer - at least at the prep level. But, to think that he is "without a doubt" a PG for a program like SU might be wishful thinking at this point.

Even so, I can't wait to see what he can do at the top of the zone and in transition.

Check out this scouting report that JarHead shared: http://syracusefan.com/threads/scouting-report-ron-patterson.36053/

Hear what you are saying but I've actually played the kid. He has good handles. Maybe not great, but I hear what you are coming from. But I take my actual experience of playing the kid over any scouting report. Handles were good, and his passing was awesome. Like stop on a dime, no look-ZING passes.

Just discussed this with Tom Cat yesterday, he said Patterson had 9 assists in a game. He looks like the logical 2nd option at PG.

Exactly man. Unbelievable passing like I have said. Have not seen his ball handling with full court pressure but I am positive he is capable of doing that. I am sure they are working on his handle a ton there because they know they need a backup PG

I believe the plan all along was for Buss to be the back up PG
Agreed but since he signed we tried to bring in a transfer with one year left pg and signed a top notch pg for next year. He is a combo imo

Agreed but since he signed we tried to bring in a transfer with one year left pg and signed a top notch pg for next year. He is a combo imo

Oh ya I definitely agree with that, but I think he is a combo guard who is going to be a back up pg . I believe in 2014 he will play more at off guard . Either way Jimmy has said that he doesn't view guards as PG or SG, but just guards in general

(based on my pick up action
Hear what you are saying but I've actually played the kid. He has good handles. Maybe not great, but I hear what you are coming from. But I take my actual experience of playing the kid over any scouting report. Handles were good, and his passing was awesome. Like stop on a dime, no look-ZING passes.

All these guys look like NBA talents when you are playing them in real life (based on my pick up game experiences at UMICH).
You cannot extrapolate your personal experience to what his ability will be against major division 1 competition.
Scouting reports done by people's whose jobs it is to rate a player's game are far more valid than any opinion you or I may have about a guy based on our interpretations of talent and skill.

Buss might be able to play a bit as a point guard, but he's not a point guard. He's a 3 and D guy - and that is not an insult, those are two of the most coveted skills in basketball right now.

Yeah, no offense but a "good handle" against HS level opposition could easily translate into a poor to flat out bad handle against the highest level of Div 1 play. To be adequate at that level you better have a dominant HS handle. Based on scouting reports, the fact that we went hard after Barton to be the backup PG, and that Cooney and MikeG are both being prepped to play backup PG minutes I'm guessing they aren't seeing Buss as a viable PG, at least not yet. I'd love to be wrong though.

I wouldn't worry about ball handling. We have Ennis for that 25 mpg. We can run 6'7 Gbinije and BJ off the pic and roll, and we can go with a non driving entry pass point guard for 10-15 mpg. I get the feeling this particular team should easily have the scorers and isolation scorers around them to not need a true pg. If any of our 4 guards outside ennis find a 3 point shot off the dribble we will sitting really pretty.

Gbinije BJ and a good chance Roberson will easily be able to help bring the ball up at the other forward spot next to Fair. Especially when the press doubles one of our guys. Cooney wasn't all that bad at bringing the ball up last year against pressure either.

I see this team being much better at bringing the ball up then the 09-10 and the 10-11 teams by march.

Oh ya I definitely agree with that, but I think he is a combo guard who is going to be a back up pg . I believe in 2014 he will play more at off guard . Either way Jimmy has said that he doesn't view guards as PG or SG, but just guards in general
I love JB but that commit is just spin for when he doesn't have a true pg. I believe JB prefers having a pass first pg on the team at all times. It's the reason why jb prioritized Joseph over whitehead.

Why is he called Buss?
From this article:
http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Not-a-Busta-61185

"Eventually, Ron would have to learn to be tough, or the community that surrounded him would swallow him up. But as a young boy, he cried. And he cried a lot.
His grandma made sure he got the message early on. She called him “Buss.” It was short for busta, which rapper Snoop Dogg used for wimps, babies, cowards.
The nickname stuck, but Buss caught on. Real men don’t just say they aren’t bustas. They act like it, too.
Eventually, the tears stopped."

Now, he's just built like he's got the strength of a Bus. That would have been my original guess. :)

From this article:
http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Not-a-Busta-61185

"Eventually, Ron would have to learn to be tough, or the community that surrounded him would swallow him up. But as a young boy, he cried. And he cried a lot.
His grandma made sure he got the message early on. She called him “Buss.” It was short for busta, which rapper Snoop Dogg used for wimps, babies, cowards.
The nickname stuck, but Buss caught on. Real men don’t just say they aren’t bustas. They act like it, too.
Eventually, the tears stopped."

Now, he's just built like he's got the strength of a Bus. That would have been my original guess. :)
No grandparent should call their grandchild a busta! I hated the story the first I read it and I still hate it!

I wouldn't worry about ball handling. We have Ennis for that 25 mpg. We can run 6'7 Gbinije and BJ off the pic and roll, and we can go with a non driving entry pass point guard for 10-15 mpg. I get the feeling this particular team should easily have the scorers and isolation scorers around them to not need a true pg. If any of our 4 guards outside ennis find a 3 point shot off the dribble we will sitting really pretty.

Gbinije BJ and a good chance Roberson will easily be able to help bring the ball up at the other forward spot next to Fair. Especially when the press doubles one of our guys. Cooney wasn't all that bad at bringing the ball up last year against pressure either.

I see this team being much better at bringing the ball up then the 09-10 and the 10-11 teams by march.

Gotta think Ennis plays 32-34 minutes a game come conference time. Hope one of the guys can do a capable job at backup - we'll see.

(based on my pick up action

All these guys look like NBA talents when you are playing them in real life (based on my pick up game experiences at UMICH).
You cannot extrapolate your personal experience to what his ability will be against major division 1 competition.
Scouting reports done by people's whose jobs it is to rate a player's game are far more valid than any opinion you or I may have about a guy based on our interpretations of talent and skill.
Very true. I used to run with the boys in the late 80's up at Manley in the summers. Sherm was amazing (granted yes, an NBA player) he woudl absolutley dominate a game without taking a single shot. But what always impressed me in these games was how good the other guys really were. Herm Harried was a great shooter and ballhandler, Matt Roe used to make me look silly with his ballhandling and passing. I was sure one day that Chandu Carey would get a scholarship and start at the point once Sherm left. Point is, pickup games and D1 games are totally different games. Its also true that guys who can't play D1 ball can dominate a pickup game/summer league. Check out the KoK games and see if the best player on the court sometime isn't some 28 year old guy that played at Potsdam.

I think we are going to be very pleasantly surprised by Buss. He should make a nice contribution this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom