Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Not the Rutty kid, that’s for sure. What did UConn get the Michigan kid for? I bet it was in the same ballpark.

Maybe - Reed is a better defender for sure not but the offensive threat

I was wondering if he could afford me those shirts from Mannys? Not sure if he has enough money

I think my point is being missed. I’m showing what Fran has been able to build in the offseason with more disadvantages than what Red has on the basketball side of things.

The original question was in regards to the advantages the basketball program has over the football program and why the football team has been able to do a complete 180 in the offseason from a perception point of view. Meanwhile, the basketball program seems to be faltering?

It had nothing to do with actual game-planning or actual gameday coaching.

I believe Kiyan could be a difference maker in changing the perception of SU basketball. The problem is, that is still 1 year away. I’m concerned that we missed on pg options and now our best transfer is playing games with us. It could be a very concerning year. The. You’re looking at two really poor years and the pressure is tenfold. Now you have the pressure on you and diminishing resources to build a team around kiyan.

By the way, did we ever hire 2 additional coaches we are allotted that are not allowed to recruit? Maybe I missed something, but that seems like a miss on the administration or Red to not fill those positions. Maybe an offensive and defensive coordinator.
“By the way, did we ever hire 2 additional coaches we are allotted that are not allowed to recruit? Maybe I missed something, but that seems like a miss on the administration or Red to not fill those positions. Maybe an offensive and defensive coordinator.”
Yeah, I believe you’re right about this, we should be able to hire a couple of “special assistants,” but I don’t think we have. I think Red should do that if the administration can get him the money. I’d love to see a young offensive innovator/data geek added to the staff to assist the coaches on that end.

Last edited:
Well said Grasshopper.
Yes it’s all about “you” and what u can get. Me and mine. NIL funds are a zero sum game. What he was able to up leaves less for others aka teammates.
But I’m from a very different era. My father served in the Normandy theatre at age 19. That’s the generation that raised me. I have given generously to this school from which I earned three degrees. Have attended every final 4 since I was a student in 1975.
This is a fan board. I can have an opinion. Unless those rules have changed too.

Good on him. Terrible on our roster managemen and strategy for who we went after this offseason.
How is it bad roster management? Can you specify what we did wrong?

If he’s getting what I heard we could have offered Amari Williams or Big Cliff. Heck we may have got an All Conference point guard.
I don’t think that’s true at all.

I think that Red and the staff have done an excellent job since taking over from Jim. First lets all admit that the program was a mess. Jim left Red in a bad spot and for him to pull together 20 wins given what he inherited, the injuries, benny and whatever other drama he needed to clean up i find that pretty amazing.

Going into next season we have solid if not excellent players at all 5 positions. If Chance and McClead are healthy we are two deep at every position. I hope that we add another shooter and i would like to see Patterson come back. 12 kids on the roster not including walk ons would be fine. On paper i like this team. Lets see how the chemistry plays out but i do think we make the dance.

Well, Brown is continuing to contact a couple of football recruits who have verb committed to other schools. Is that ok?
Believe that a verbal commitment is an agreement/statement and not a final all encompassing legally binding one. Recruits have flipped their verbal commitment to other schools for decades.

Nothing is final until there is a written agreement between the recruit and the school.

I think that Red and the staff have done an excellent job since taking over from Jim. First lets all admit that the program was a mess. Jim left Red in a bad spot and for him to pull together 20 wins given what he inherited, the injuries, benny and whatever other drama he needed to clean up i find that pretty amazing.

Going into next season we have solid if not excellent players at all 5 positions. If Chance and McClead are healthy we are two deep at every position. I hope that we add another shooter and i would like to see Patterson come back. 12 kids on the roster not including walk ons would be fine. On paper i like this team. Lets see how the chemistry plays out but i do think we make the dance.

Yes, the program was a mess.

Which is why posters who expressed that they were fine with JB remaining as the coach as long as he wanted to were insane.

Exactly. When things looked bad and I went to take a look at the list of best 5’s left in the portal and saw Patterson’s name I knew we had no other options. Good for him and his people getting what the market says he’s worth.

People harping on a kid making the max he can during his last year of college. I think people better take a look in the mirror and ask what they would’ve done.

Even as fans it’s fine to hate the system, seriously screw the NCAA but don’t hate the player just for working the system. Big Eddie didn’t make the system and he didn’t force ol Buzz and his Texas money to call him and offer him the money
You’re kidding right? Good on him to go back on what was agreed on? After Syracuse thought they had everything locked down? Therefore preventing us from adding other pieces?

Syracuse got hoodwinked here. Came to an agreement with a player (NCAA didn’t allow them to sign a contract and he wasn’t enrolled in classes) and then tried to leave them at the alter at midnight when all the other options were picked over? Syracuse then had to scramble 1, maybe a second time to secure funds just to pay one player. Limiting other options outside of Lampkin.

I think we have very different view points here. I will always root for the team over the player. This became a necessary evil to match the offer. But it put the team in a terrible situation. So yes, I’m mad at the player. He’s a mercenary that put my favorite team in a no win situation. IMO, he has a lot of work to do to make me a fan. Winning will do that. But until then, I am not a fan of his antics. This is what Red apparently wanted to get away from and led to some of the issues last year.

Honestly the options at the 5 that were more affordable and better were what?
Lampkin is exactly what this team needed. We have an elite shooter in Bell, and a bunch of guys who can hit an open three.

What we needed was a guy who would force opponents to give those guys space. Lampkin is just like Arinze Onuaku. He has to be guarded in the post, usually doubled, or he will score at a very high rate. Except, Lampkin is a great passer.

Having Lampkin is going to really help the offense.

Lampkin also is the big body we've wanted since Georgetown and Pitt started bullying us 20 years ago... Nobody is doing that with Lampkin out there. It is going to be refreshing to always have the biggest guy on the court, whether it's Lampkin or the Highlander.

Last edited:
You’re kidding right? Good on him to go back on what was agreed on? After Syracuse thought they had everything locked down? Therefore preventing us from adding other pieces?

Syracuse got hoodwinked here. Came to an agreement with a player (NCAA didn’t allow them to sign a contract and he wasn’t enrolled in classes) and then tried to leave them at the alter at midnight when all the other options were picked over? Syracuse then had to scramble 1, maybe a second time to secure funds just to pay one player. Limiting other options outside of Lampkin.

I think we have very different view points here. I will always root for the team over the player. This became a necessary evil to match the offer. But it put the team in a terrible situation. So yes, I’m mad at the player. He’s a mercenary that put my favorite team in a no win situation. IMO, he has a lot of work to do to make me a fan. Winning will do that. But until then, I am not a fan of his antics. This is what Red apparently wanted to get away from and led to some of the issues last year.
It's not the player vs the team. It's the player vs the system, No offense but Eddie don't care about your feelings when it comes to a 20-30% pay increase. You can resent them if you want but i'll say again he didn't break any rule or code of conduct or break the law or do anything ethically wrong. If I have two job offers and I have not signed a contract I can do whatever I want. The NCAA put the players in the system and this is what happens.

The losing bidder can be pissed of course. We have now taken several players and their best football recruiter from a Texas A&M school that doesn't even know where Syracuse is on the map, honestly we should've expected this kind of crap. I'd hate to be a Texas A&M fan right now if Cuse is going to snipe other players from them.

For those actually paying attention the system has already changed just like that so all this whining may be a moot point by next year. Bet your butts large universities paying the player instead of random NIL collectives will look alot different.