Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sid was set back by shin splints and since then he has been improving. For every other returning player the board consensus seems to be expectation of improvement. Why do so many expect Sid to have a set-back? He came on strong towards the end of the season. I expect continuation of his trajectory. He likely will be one of the better ACC centers. Even when he was injured he showed occasional flashes of skilled offensive moves.
Let's hope he does continue on that trajectory. He was great towards the end of the season! That's the guy we need.

If he stayed in his original class he would be top 50-ish
Exactly. And if he had another summer of AAU ball he would of been one of the most sought after bigs in the country. I mean his offers and schools that were involved already kinda showed that.

SU has been recruiting Frank for awhile, even before he reclassified. I trust Boeheim's judge of talent over the rankings.
Sorry, man—I know what you’re saying, but how many guys do we have transferring out right now?

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not because those two things have just about zero correlation
You don’t see a correlation between JB’s assessment of talent versus the number of his players who are leaving the program in one year because they didn’t have the talent to be successful in the ACC or to get enough playing time in the program during ‘down years?’ I think it’s called ‘irony.’

You don’t see a correlation between JB’s assessment of talent versus the number of his players who are leaving the program in one year because they didn’t have the talent to be successful in the ACC or to get enough playing time in the program during ‘down years?’ I think it’s called ‘irony.’
Washington wasn’t really a target. He wanted to come here and there was room for a backup PG.

Jury is still out on Goodine. Just because a freshman isn’t ready doesn’t mean the coaches can’t assess talent.

So now when a freshman (Goodine) isn’t ready to play 20 minutes in the ACC he was a miss by the staff?

And there’s little doubt in my mind that Carey can get real minutes at a P5 school he just wasn’t a fit here after he couldn’t adapt to what we needed him to do. He’s definitely a P5 talent sometimes things just don’t work out.

Saying that JB can’t asses talent is a joke when Marek has turned out to be as good as he has and when a guy who averaged 7 points in 20 minutes at ECU is going to be a first round pick after we brought him in.

Well, that’s what I said: ‘not good enough to get minutes on an unranked, league .500 team.‘

Still, there’s a difference between saying ‘Jb can’t assess talent’ and suggesting that it’s an ‘odd’ time to declare trust in JB’s talent assessment skills. For the record: I didn’t say the former.

I’m also just pointing out the disconnect between posters who consistently downplay the recruit ratings when we sign someone outside the top 50 (he’s Canadian/European/African, so the ratings are invalid... the recruitniks hate Syracuse so they don’t rate our guys high... he got dropped because he eliminated duke/Kansas/Kentucky... et al) and then when we finish mid pack, they say we just didn’t have enough talent. But the ratings are completely valid with Dior...

None of this means Frank can’t play for us. I hope we get him.

Carey was the only real swing and a miss of the three, and that’s because he couldn’t adapt to playing PG. Goodine and Washington are leaving over minutes.

So now when a freshman (Goodine) isn’t ready to play 20 minutes in the ACC he was a miss by the staff?

And there’s little doubt in my mind that Carey can get real minutes at a P5 school he just wasn’t a fit here after he couldn’t adapt to what we needed him to do. He’s definitely a P5 talent sometimes things just don’t work out.

Saying that JB can’t asses talent is a joke when Marek has turned out to be as good as he has and when a guy who averaged 7 points in 20 minutes at ECU is going to be a first round pick after we brought him in.
I didn’t say JB can’t assess talent. It’s not that black and white.
Either way, countering the specious argument with one example versus 3-4 isn’t solid reasoning. And Eli already had college experience, then sat out a year. His talent was obvious. Look back to the comments when we thought we might get him as a transfer.

Either way, countering the specious argument with one example versus 3-4 isn’t solid reasoning. And Eli already had college experience, then sat out a year. His talent was obvious. Look back to the comments when we thought we might get him as a transfer.
Nobody is arguing that HoWa is an ACC talent but I am of the opinion that it’s fine to take a flyer on kid if you have an open scholly and hope he pans out. I already stated my opinion on Goodine and Carey and I think they will have solid careers on teams that see the tourney.

Just because a kid leaves, even due to lack of playing time as a freshman, doesn’t mean they aren’t talented enough to get meaningful ACC minutes during their career. Also, plenty of fans didn’t think JG3 was an ACC-level player but the coaches certainly knew what they were doing taking him in.

We could argue about this all day but I’ll take JB as a talent evaluator over most P5 coaches in the game right now.

Well, that’s what I said: ‘not good enough to get minutes on an unranked, league .500 team.‘

Still, there’s a difference between saying ‘Jb can’t assess talent’ and suggesting that it’s an ‘odd’ time to declare trust in JB’s talent assessment skills. For the record: I didn’t say the former.

I’m also just pointing out the disconnect between posters who consistently downplay the recruit ratings when we sign someone outside the top 50 (he’s Canadian/European/African, so the ratings are invalid... the recruitniks hate Syracuse so they don’t rate our guys high... he got dropped because he eliminated duke/Kansas/Kentucky... et al) and then when we finish mid pack, they say we just didn’t have enough talent. But the ratings are completely valid with Dior...

None of this means Frank can’t play for us. I hope we get him.
Record doesn’t matter. If you’re not ready, you’re not ready. JB plays to win, not to develop players.

The comments were split. Some viewed him as another diamond in the rough. Others thought it was an indictment of the program that we were bringing in a transfer from ECU.

BTW, do you think sitting out a year helped or hurt Hughes’ development?

I don't think Jb ever saw Marek play.

The comments were split. Some viewed him as another diamond in the rough. Others thought it was an indictment of the program that we were bringing in a transfer from ECU.

BTW, do you think sitting out a year helped or hurt Hughes’ development?
Referring to my comments when we thought we might get Eli. I didn’t have any issue with him coming from ECU. The video was impressive. But, yeah, I’m sure a good number of people weren’t enthused by that pickup. Those are the kinds of people I try to filter out : )

I have no idea whether sitting that year helped or hurt. I assume it helped.

Why are people so soft on this board? Isn’t debating each other what makes things more interesting instead of agreeing with everything everyone says? And the concern about offending people because they won’t post on the board anymore and you will lose out on their valuable insider information is kind of silly. How much great insider information has been posted on this site in the last few years?

I’m far from soft on forums, but this place is completely different than most. All I’ll say is that I think the powers that be don’t want this place to become a cesspool, and you’re expected to act with a certain level of decorum. Tough for a townie like me without that edumucation paper. It is what it is, and debating has about a 0% chance of changing minds.

Time to get back to Frank anyway. I missed the deadline for this reply, so delete if needed. I don’t really even wanna argue minutes yet. He hasn’t even made it official, and things can change in the blink of an eye, especially with a kid that has shown that to be true multiple times. I agree with whoever said just let them compete, and may the best man win.

Regardless, Sid will be starting, and barring injury, that isn’t going to change throughout the year. If Frank is that good, then Sid may get the token start, but he will be the starter nonetheless. Personally, I think it will be more than token, at the very least he will give us that leadership, and experience that someone like Duany has in the past. The Marek/Sid duo should be a calming influence for the team, and they will set the table with their defense, and rebounding, so that hopefully the rest of the guys will follow suit, getting us back to being a formidable force defensively.

When you have a guy like Quincy out there too, with a year under his belt, our front court should be a force to be reckoned with. If we add Frank, then we only get stronger. I think he will definitely be given a chance to earn time, and anchoring the zone is his ticket to more minutes. The Jesse/JBA duo just doesn’t seem to be quite ready for big time backup minutes, as evident by JB really trying to add a big this off-season. It wasn’t because of Sid, but I’ll pass on that argument again.

Anyway, I truly believe that Sid is going to put it all together, and go out with a bang. He will be a double double machine, and the steady QB of the zone that is an overlooked aspect at times. I’m expecting a lot of crow to be served when the season is complete, and for Sid to have a Rak like transformation in his final year, so he can leave the Cuse revered by the majority of fans. He has a real chance to be one of the top bigs in the ACC this upcoming season.

Still, there’s an important role to be had for Frank, and he could earn up to 15-18 MPG. I hope he realizes that if he just puts in the work year one, that the 5 spot can be his for his remaining time at the Cuse. I know he may only wanna stick around for 2-3 years, but we are as good as any place on his list for him to showcase himself, and make that happen. And it doesn’t hurt that Sid always has the ability to foul out early.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors