Can SU land a nationally recruited 4 Star Recruit | Syracusefan.com

Can SU land a nationally recruited 4 Star Recruit

Nick44

All Conference
Being interviewed right now after scoring a TD. He just said that "Pitt is very high on my radar, and I'm still looking at Syracuse, North Carolina, and USC."
Not trying to read too much into that, but I'm going to go ahead and read into it. The fact that he mentioned Pitt first, and being "high on my radar" makes me unhappy.
Too bad his Pitt visit is last. I really think Dino could sell him on the Cuse with the last word.
Guys, we do this every year to ourselves!! Go back and look at the 1-2 players like this kid that we lose every January. Remember David Oku? Stop wasting your time and enjoy the NFL games. Barring a last minute upset...HE IS GOING TO PITT.

In the last 20 years, we have not gotten players like this of this caliber. I hope I am wrong but it is what it is.

Until we continue to invest in this program, start winning more than 4 games a year and start making some consistent national relevance...it ain’t happening.

Guys, we do this every year to ourselves!! Go back and look at the 1-2 players like this kid that we lose every January. Remember David Oku? Stop wasting your time and enjoy the NFL games. Barring a last minute upset...HE IS GOING TO PITT.

In the last 20 years, we have not gotten players like this of this caliber. I hope I am wrong but it is what it is.

Until we continue to invest in this program, start winning more than 4 games a year and start making some consistent national relevance...it ain’t happening.
We never had him to begin with, so we can't exactly lose him. Secondly, he's a great prospect, but he's not untouchable blue chip caliber. In fact ESPN has him as a 3 star with a grade of 78. We, as fans, tend to rank them by whatever site ranks them the highest. Remember when AJ long was a 4 star QB? Well he was a 2 star on Rivals, but we always referred to him as a 4 star. We land a lot of kids with a similar ESPN rating every year, and have gotten guys ranked higher than that as well. Don't get me wrong...kid would probably be our best RB, but let's not act like he's a 5 star blue chip kid who we could never land. Nobody gave us a shot to flip Chance either, who, by the way, was also a 78 from ESPN. He has amazing offers...so did guys like Cullpepper, and Max Beileau, and Cam Jonas etc.
Now that I got that all out...he's likely all Pitt.

Last edited:
We never had him to begin with, so we can't exactly lose him. Secondly, he's a great prospect, but he's not exactly untouchable blue chip caliber. In fact ESPN has him as a 3 star with a grade of 78. We, as fans, tend to rank them by whatever site ranks them the highest. Remember when AJ long was a 4 star QB? Well he was a 2 star on Rivals, but we always referred to him as a 4 star. We land a lot of kids with a similar ESPN rating every year, and have gotten guys ranked higher than that as well. Don't get me wrong...kid would probably be our best RB, but let's not act like he's a 5 star blue chip kid who we could never land. Nobody gave us a shot to flip Chance either, who, by the way, was also a 78 from ESPN. He has amazing offers...so did guys like Cullpepper, and Max Beileau, and Cam Jonas etc.
Now that I got that all out...he's likely all Pitt.
Culpepper, Amie and Jonas were players we recruited for over a year, completely different type of recruitment then this one.

This recruitment is much more similar to an Oku or Ishaq Williams. He’s a national prospect that is waiting till the end because he’s good enough that programs will wait for him.

Syracuse will be the bridesmaid again like it has for the last 12-15 national players that we’ve thrown the kitchen sink at over the last two decades. Pitt can sell him as the next Shady or Dion Lewis. Syracuse can sell him...who? The next Kyle Macintosh?!?! We just don’t get these types of players. We just don’t.

Culpepper, Amie and Jonas were players we recruited for over a year, completely different type of recruitment then this one.

This recruitment is much more similar to an Oku or Ishaq Williams. He’s a national prospect that is waiting till the end because he’s good enough that programs will wait for him.

Syracuse will be the bridesmaid again like it has for the last 12-15 national players that we’ve thrown the kitchen sink at over the last two decades. Pitt can sell him as the next Shady or Dion Lewis. Syracuse can sell him...who? The next Kyle Macintosh?!?! We just don’t get these types of players. We just don’t.
Actually no we offered M.S. in Jan 2017, and Chance in Feb 2017. Over a year, and on our radar for much longer than that. I'm not disagreeing that we won't land him. I'm disagreeing that players of his "caliber" would never come here. In fact according to ESPN, Devito is rated much higher, and he came. Every low level P5 has landed a surprisingly highly rated recruit at some point. Why did Ray Rice go to Rutgers? To be the next Terell Willis? Why did Aqib Talib go to Kansas? To be the next Hal Cleavenger?
Maryland was 3-9, 6-7, 4-8 last 3 years. They landed 7 4 star guys last year, and 6 this year. It wouldn't be mind blowing to land a player of his caliber.

Last edited:

If you really were paying attention and went back to the very beginning of the thread you would have seen that Mychale was offered a year ago. Plus coaches are usually following kids prior to them receiving an offer. Why don't we sit back and wait and see how this plays out. We will know soon.

If you really were paying attention and went back to the very beginning of the thread you would have seen that Mychale was offered a year ago. Plus coaches are usually following kids prior to them receiving an offer. Why don't we sit back and wait and see how this plays out. We will know soon.
What fun would that be?

1. This happens to *every* school.

2. We have had 4* talent commit to Babers this year and last.

If we miss out, we move on.

Being interviewed right now after scoring a TD. He just said that "Pitt is very high on my radar, and I'm still looking at Syracuse, North Carolina, and USC."
Not trying to read too much into that, but I'm going to go ahead and read into it. The fact that he mentioned Pitt first, and being "high on my radar" makes me unhappy.
Too bad his Pitt visit is last. I really think Dino could sell him on the Cuse with the last word.

If he’s that high in Pitt, I’m glad we get him before that visit. Otherwise he might just commit on the spot to them and we don’t get a chance at all.

If he’s that high in Pitt, I’m glad we get him before that visit. Otherwise he might just commit on the spot to them and we don’t get a chance at all.
I like the way you think.

Do you have any knowledge of the Syracuse football program prior to 1999?

Do you have any knowledge of the Syracuse football program prior to 1999?
Yup. That was a generation ago. But please go ahead and compare how we signed a HS All-American in 1999 to this situation. Did we sell him on the wishbone?

Yup. That was a generation ago. But please go ahead and compare how we signed a HS All-American in 1999 to this situation. Did we sell him on the wishbone?
Dude, you're coming across as uninformed. Seriously. We have landed kids of this caliber within the last few years. This isn't a blue chipper. This is 1 of over 300 4 star players. Hell, non P5 schools land kids like this sometimes.
You're making it sound like we're hosting Reggie Bush on the 19th.

Dude, you're coming across as uninformed. Seriously. We have landed kids of this caliber within the last few years. This isn't a blue chipper. This is 1 of over 300 4 star players. Hell, non P5 schools land kids like this sometimes.
You're making it sound like we're hosting Reggie Bush on the 19th.
Uninformed? Lol, ok I’ll play along. Go ahead, give me an example of a player of this caliber that made it to Syracuse this late in the process in the last few years.

Uninformed? Lol, ok I’ll play along. Go ahead, give me an example of a player of this caliber that made it to Syracuse this late in the process in the last few years.

Tommy DeVito

Edit: didn’t see the “this late in the process” qualifier. I’ll change my answer to Chance Amie.

Tommy DeVito

Edit: didn’t see the “this late in the process” qualifier. I’ll change my answer to Chance Amie.

Chance Amie isn’t a blue chipper or a highly recruited player across the country.

Tommy DeVito

Amie is a great player, really excited that we were able to get him. Could be best of this class.

But not as highly rated as a prospect and we didn’t even flip him from a Power 5 school.

Uninformed is referring to the fact that you think a 4 star kid would never come to Syracuse. Why the "late in the process" qualifier? Like we've pointed out, the fact that you think we just offered this kid proves you're uninformed. Been in contact with him for over a year.
And what difference does "late in the process"make? Every kid is recruited until they sign or sign somewhere else.
If schools worse than Syracuse can land kids like him, why can't we?
The hair splitting is getting silly now. Hope we get him. We'll know soon enough.

Amie is a great player, really excited that we were able to get him. Could be best of this class.

But not as highly rated as a prospect and we didn’t even flip him from a Power 5 school.
He is on Espn. Why do we only go by the websites that list them as the highest? He is not as consensus 4 star guy if another recruiting site has him as a 3 star. In fact we have a few other guys rated just as high on ESPN

Well, for starters, it’s Kyle McIntosh. But carry on.

How about Delone Carter...and Max Beaulieu...

How about Delone Carter...and Max Beaulieu...

DC? That was 10 years ago and he wasn’t a blue chipper or highly sought after. He didn’t even have an offer from any good colleges in his own state even though he was Mr. Ohio. He was a good pickup for SU but he only had a few offers from good colleges, if Kentucky in mid 2000’s is considered a top football college.

Uninformed is referring to the fact that you think a 4 star kid would never come to Syracuse. Why the "late in the process" qualifier? Like we've pointed out, the fact that you think we just offered this kid proves you're uninformed. Been in contact with him for over a year.
And what difference does "late in the process"make? Every kid is recruited until they sign or sign somewhere else.
If schools worse than Syracuse can land kids like him, why can't we?
The hair splitting is getting silly now. Hope we get him. We'll know soon enough.
It’s really not this complicated. Look, in the last 15-20 years, this programs best players have been either under the radar prospects like an Eric Dungey or higher rated prospects like a Franklin or a Devito that committed to Syracuse before there stock blew up and the factories had a chance to seriously recruit them.

Point being is that historically Syracuse has not done well going head to head down to the wire for a national recruit with other major football programs. They just haven’t. Especially coming off of another losing season.

Again, hope I am wrong and a few weeks from now I can be called out for it. But until then, not going to spend another second following this. Good luck to the kid and his decision.

DC? That was 10 years ago and he wasn’t a blue chipper or highly sought after. He didn’t even have an offer from any good colleges in his own state even though he was Mr. Ohio. He was a good pickup for SU but he only had a few offers from good colleges, if Kentucky in mid 2000’s is considered a top football college.
He had offers from Wisconsin and West Virginia, those are pretty good schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom