Can we change the charge/block foul? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we change the charge/block foul?

you are describing someone who is now the primary defender
I don't think everyone would agree that is the definition of a primary defender.

quote="bballbeadle, post: 962978, member: 548"]I believe that the charge/block call itself is deeply flawed. They seemed to have changed it with the idea that in 95% of those situation, it will be called a block. But sometimes these calls are so close that even slow mo replay is not able to decide it for sure.

What if it's ALWAYS a block no matter what? Players know they cannot try to stop a drive in that way, especially since when they do someone is almost bound to fall down and the chances of injury are severe.

Anyone have a thought on that?

If they can't change it in a way to make it crystal clear, fans are going to continue to feel robbed. It's not a good dynamic. I know nothing about the game of basketball but it seems the change to this rule and the inconsistency in calling it is ruining some very good games.[/quote]
It should be that the offensive player gets 2 steps. if your not set when he is 2 steps away, its a block.

The biggest contributor to that is the NBA's bullsh!t brand of basketball. The only consistency there is that the stars get every call regardless of who has position where. Then basketball fans will watch NCAA or HS games reffed by officials who try to fairly apply a rule they actually know, and nobody likes the call because it's not what they saw on the NBA game they watched yesterday. That's why players think they can drive regardless of how many are between them and the basket, because they don't understand the difference between the NBA and real basketball. I'd bet most fans don't know there's a different rule book for the NBA, let alone what the differences are and why. You couldn't give me NBA tix even front row courtside.

edit: another part of the NBA's deleterious influence on this is their announcers and former players as color guys (Bill Walton is hardly the only one), none of whom have ever seen the inside of a rule book yet prattle on ad nauseum about what's a rule and how it's supposed to be applied.
There's simply no way to argue that the nba is not real basketball if you've ever sat court side. It's tremendously amazing. Tv is completely diff.

There's simply no way to argue that the nba is not real basketball if you've ever sat court side. It's tremendously amazing. Tv is completely diff.

Basketball I love, the NBA, not so much. I think they're fabulous athletes, even the world's best. However, the NBA has compromised the great game of basketball into an entertainment business, and that's gotten me all off on it. I dislike how they've prostituted themselves to the star system (not much unlike Hollywood, I might add) because the illusion sells more than the substance. How much the product has fed the market, or vice versa, is up for debate. Either way, I have no interest in it. But like I've always said, different strokes for different folks. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom