Cant be an elite program with Cooney as a starter | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Cant be an elite program with Cooney as a starter

If other teammates can draw a double team and Cooney can spot up thus now you have to pick your poison...Cooney can be a heck of a player. He needs others to be able to be effective offensively for him to be.

Or...learn that he is a basketball player and practice his other skills to drive to the hoop and finish and pass better. One dimensional players can usually be stopped in college if they can't get their shot off on their own.

OE had it correct. Easy to take one shooter out of the game. In 08-09 and 09-10 we had multiple shooters and thats why our offense was a lot better. You couldnt just take one guy out of the game.

JB kept saying Cooney needed to drive more while also saying we need him to take 8-10 threes a game. Sounds like an impossible mission. Not surprised TC had a shoot or bust mentality.

We can't be elite with this year's Cooney but we might be with next year's but a everyone else will have to pick up their game too. We need to have and feed an inside presence. Guys inside or guys that drive need to be ready to kick out to shooters. Ennis was the only guy that seemed to be able to make a pass but even he wasn't developed enough to pass to the perimeter out of his drive.

And steals are a great stat if you have a running team who converts a high percentage of steals/TOs into quick and easy buckets.

At half time in the loss to Dayton they put up a telling stat...Cuse had benefitted from 7 TOs (incl. 4 stls) and scored no points. Dayton grabbed 6 TOs (4 stls) and 7 points.

Last edited:
JB kept saying Cooney needed to drive more while also saying we need him to take 8-10 threes a game. Sounds like an impossible mission.

I don't think impossible ... The number of times TC was passed the ball and did essentially nothing was irritating to say the least. Of course if he felt he didn't have the ability to do anything else... but that's the crux of the problem, no?

SUFan44 said:
Head case x 100000. D1 talent for sure. D4 mental toughness.

Most ignorant statement I've ever read on this board.

The gall of you to make an statement like that about a KID who gives his all on the court for us who is constantly running around on offense, always moving on defense and capable of putting up record games for us makes you look incredibly weak and small.

There is NOTHING that points to his mental toughness at all from what I've seen. When the ball leaves his hands the shot looks good 90% of the time. When this kid, this sophomore ends up breaking records for us from beyond the arc I swear I'm going to dig up this post and try to make you look as bad as you tried to make him look.

I am honestly ashamed when I open up this website and see the bashing continue. We are all Syracuse fans and we want to bash a kid who has worked his butt off and will continue to improve. I wish for one time on this board, that I had the capability to nuke a thread. This would be the first to go. Some people on here should be ashamed of themselves. You may say you are only stating facts, but as a Syracuse fan, this is embarrassing.

One thing being overlooked by the Cooney Haters is the value TC brought by being a legit (and our only) threat from 3 on this year's roster. Even though he was feast or famine, he was literally the only player on this roster that was capable of getting hot from 3 and the only player we had that needed to be guarded out there. In theory that should have helped with spacing, but as others have rightly noted this year's offense was average at best and too dependent on isolation and at the end of the year, Ennis drives. Even when we were ripping off 25 straight we didn't run away from other teams. For long stretches our offense was unwatchable. Is Cooney a great player? Not yet but he's certainly not a bum and he was by far the best option we had this year.

Same thing most thought about Andy Rautins. He worked out just fine. Be patient.

In fact, I seem to remember several Rautin's threads. It infuriates me that adults seem fit to trash a KID who is giving his all to our University...to all of them, I think you should be ashamed of yourselves...GET A LIFE...

Let's Go Orange...

JB kept saying Cooney needed to drive more while also saying we need him to take 8-10 threes a game. Sounds like an impossible mission. Not surprised TC had a shoot or bust mentality.

We can't be elite with this year's Cooney but we might be with next year's but a everyone else will have to pick up their game too. We need to have and feed an inside presence. Guys inside or guys that drive need to be ready to kick out to shooters. Ennis was the only guy that seemed to be able to make a pass but even he wasn't developed enough to pass to the perimeter out of his drive.
Yeah, we were only the #1 team in the country for a stretch with this year's Cooney. I guess that's not Elite enough for you.

I don't think impossible ... The number of times TC was passed the ball and did essentially nothing was irritating to say the least. Of course if he felt he didn't have the ability to do anything else... but that's the crux of the problem, no?
What? No. He obviously thinks he can drive because he's done it occasionally since early last year. He may not be able to face up and beat his man to the basket but he gets it in situations where he's coming off a pick with his man chasing. If he wasn't trying to get 8 or 10 threes, he could sometimes catch it on the run and take it down the middle of the lane. Instead he's got to think that if he has an inch when he turns, he's got to shoot it. He can't waste a jumper opportunity by thinking drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom