Class of 2023 - CG Mike Williams (MD) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 CG Mike Williams (MD) Offered

Symir is not guaranteed to be back next year.

True, but why wouldn't he be?

He'd probably step right into a starting role with Joe's departure. Difficult to envision him bailing.

He'd probably step right into a starting role with Joe's departure. Difficult to envision him bailing.
He’s not starting next year either. He’s a point guard. If Mintz is still here it’s a mute point. He’s not a two guard and Mintz’s future is at point.

I too think Symir will stay, but I hope it's not at the cost of Copeland. I think he'll be a killer for us, but he needs to be patient for at least a year.

He’s not starting next year either. He’s a point guard. If Mintz is still here it’s a mute point. He’s not a two guard and Mintz’s future is at point.

Mintz is a combo guard. He's not a point, despite what JB says. He's a terrific ballhandler, who excels at creating his own shot off the dribble.

He'll play alongside Joe and they will be an effective tandem because they share playmaking responsibilities, so having one predominate as a ballhandler will be unnecessary. Mintz will also slide to the 2 at times to play alongside Symir, who is a true point, and play off the ball.

Next year, if Joe leaves, then Symir probably moves into the starting lineup and plays alongside Mintz.

Symir not starting would be more predicated upon whether he gets beat out by Quadir [which is possible] than Mintz running the point as a second year player.

Mintz is a combo guard. He's not a point, despite what JB says. He's a terrific ballhandler, who excels at creating his own shot off the dribble.

He'll play alongside Joe and they will be an effective tandem because they share playmaking responsibilities, so having one predominate as a ballhandler will be unnecessary. Mintz will also slide to the 2 at times to play alongside Symir, who is a true point, and play off the ball.

Next year, if Joe leaves, then Symir probably moves into the starting lineup and plays alongside Mintz.

Symir not starting would be more predicated upon whether he gets beat out by Quadir [which is possible] than Mintz running the point as a second year player.
I thought that all I have read indicates that we shouldnt count on Mintz being back after this season.

If Mintz wants to play in the NBA it will be as a point guard. He’s not a two guard. Symir will have to become a much better shooter for JB to put him in the starting lineup. He has a role, but probably not as a starter.

If Mintz wants to play in the NBA it will be as a point guard. He’s not a two guard. Symir will have to become a much better shooter for JB to put him in the starting lineup. He has a role, but probably not as a starter.

He's 100% a combo guard. JB told Tyus Battle that he'd "have the ball in his hands" when he committed, then he proceeded to play off the ball for the majority of his three seasons, until Frank got injured Battle's junior year. JB says stuff.

JB doesn't play guys out of position to enhance their NBA stock -- never has. The only reason he is talking about Mintz as a PG is because he plans to let Joe shoot indiscriminately. Hence, he's the "shooting guard," and Mintz is the other starter, so he's the "point guard."

Last edited:
He's 100% a combo guard. JB told Tyus Battle that he'd "have the ball in his hands" when he committed, then he proceeded to play off the ball for the majority of his three seasons, until Frank got injured Battle's junior year. JB says stuff.

JB doesn't play guys out of position to enhance their NBA stock -- never has. The only reason he is talking about Mintz as a PG is because he plans to let Joe shoot indiscriminately. Hence, he's the "shooting guard," and Mintz is the other starter, so he's the "point guard."
No.

Exhibit A--Raf Addison.

No.

Exhibit A--Raf Addison.

That was because [1] Michael Brown ended up stinking and got benched, and [2] there was nobody else to play the 2. The shift to insert Triche into the starting lineup was because of Brown flopping -- not because JB was attempting to feature Raf at the SG position.

Also, if the best example we can come up with is from 37 years ago, then it supports the point I'm making.

That was because [1] Michael Brown ended up stinking and got benched, and [2] there was nobody else to play the 2. The shift to insert Triche into the starting lineup was because of Brown flopping -- not because JB was attempting to feature Raf at the SG position.
Greg Monroe. Or play 2 point guards--Pearl and Sherman.

Greg Monroe. Or play 2 point guards--Pearl and Sherman.

To that point, Monroe was essentially a backup point. He obviously started at 2 the next year, alongside Sherm.

But that isn't the move JB made. He inserted Triche into the starting lineup, and then moved Raf [who didn't have much of a handle] to the 2, because he was the best fit there with the adjusted lineup.

he plans to let Joe shoot indiscriminately.

Why do people say things like this? I can see where this seasons going already. Joe would have been smart to enter the portal.

Why do people say things like this? I can see where this seasons going already. Joe would have been smart to enter the portal.

Because, that's what Bulldog reported, directly from the ACs. So unless they are wrong, that's what to expect.

And Bulldog has a proven, direct connection to the ACs, so I've learned to trust his info.

Somehow I doubt the word “indiscriminately “ was spoken in any conversation.
Agreed. It’s just board talk taking something to the extreme as always. Joes going to shoot a lot. No one is denying that, no one is going against anyones info.

Local white guys get crushed by SU fans, all the way back to Matt Roe.

Because, that's what Bulldog reported, directly from the ACs. So unless they are wrong, that's what to expect.

And Bulldog has a proven, direct connection to the ACs, so I've learned to trust his info.

Could care less what someone here said. Nobodies letting anyone shoot indiscriminately.

Could care less what someone here said. Nobodies letting anyone shoot indiscriminately.

That's fine. If you don't want to believe what the AC's told someone with proven connections to the staff, I don't have any interest in attempting to change your mind.

But with all due respect, I'm going to take the word of the ACs over skeptical opinions from internet posters disputing the validity of said information.

That's fine. If you don't want to believe what the AC's told someone with proven connections to the staff, I don't have any interest in attempting to change your mind.

But with all due respect, I'm going to take the word of the ACs over skeptical opinions from internet posters disputing the validity of said information.

You sure these ACs used the word “indiscriminately”? And FWIW, and no disrespect meant, I only listen to two people here when it comes to “inside info”.

You sure these ACs used the word “indiscriminately”? And FWIW, and no disrespect meant, I only listen to two people here when it comes to “inside info”.

None taken.

And I understand -- I'm discerning about that stuff, too. There are lots of people claiming inside info, but over the years only a few have proven worth paying attention to. The guy I listed, while newer to the forum, checks out and is validated.

But splitting hairs over a word is where it probably makes sense to disengage on this discussion.

None taken.

And I understand -- I'm discerning about that stuff, too. There are lots of people claiming inside info, but over the years only a few have proven worth paying attention to. The guy I listed, while newer to the forum, checks out and is validated.

But splitting hairs over a word is where it probably makes sense to disengage on this discussion.

Peace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom