Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

This.
He averaged just shy of 30 on a craptastic ND team.

I'm hoping that by design that Red keeps the starters at around 30-32 mins / game, so they can give max effort while they're in, but not be run down at the end of games (or the end of the season).

I'd love to see us play like Houston or Baylor does -
almost nobody gets much more than ~30 mins/game, but even the 10th guy on the roster gets 10+.

The minutes situation especially in the last few years as been out of wack. No reason to be playing some of these guys Johnny Flynn like minutes. Hopefully the distribution of minutes will be more well-rounded now that Red is in charge.

Mintz 32 (CG)

JJ Starling 30 (CG)

Westry 25 (WING)

Quadir 10 ( PG AND SF)

Taylor 15 (Combined at SG and SF) minutes will come against bad and/or unathletic teams

Bell 15 (WING)

Benny 25 (FWD) if it finally clicks for Benny and a 3 guard lineup that runs is what we go with, Benny could thrive and I can see 30 minutes, which means Q,T,B minutes will suffer.

Maliq 20 (PF/C) center when playing small ball or center-less team

Mintz 32 (CG)

JJ Starling 30 (CG)

Westry 25 (WING)

Quadir 10 ( PG AND SF)

Taylor 15 (Combined at SG and SF) minutes will come against bad and/or unathletic teams

Bell 15 (WING)

Benny 25 (FWD) if it finally clicks for Benny and a 3 guard lineup that runs is what we go with, Benny could thrive and I can see 30 minutes, which means Q,T,B minutes will suffer.

Maliq 20 (PF/C) center when playing small ball or center-less team
You've got 23-28 minutes left. Do we play Gene Hackman ball with those?

One thing I'm convinced is most likely: the old type of rotations / substitution patterns won't be similar to what I expect to see moving forward.

I think we're going to play more guys beyond the 7+ we've grown accustomed to.

It will also be interesting to see what type of lineup Red will utilize. There have been years where we've only utilized a three guard rotation. If we START three guards, then there is going to be a lot of available PT for 5 or even more guards to contribute.
More “waves” too

From Copelands IG

Screenshot_20230418_155621_Instagram.jpg

I think Chance and Quadir both grew up near Harrisburg. They are almost the same age and height. Similar skill sets too.

I am sure both have played with and against each other many times.

PA pride

On the Seton Hall rivals free forum their mod who seems to be well connected alluded to Westrys asking price allegedly being 150K. Makes me feel good we were able to meet that price for someone who is probably being looked at as a rotation piece and not a star(at least right away).

I think Chance and Quadir both grew up near Harrisburg. They are almost the same age and height. Similar skill sets too.

I am sure both have played with and against each other many times.
I agree about the similar skill set. Both have excellent vision for their size and Defensive potential. Both are also questionable shooters.

Qadir is solid defensively but as a PG he is turnover prone and not very protective of the ball. His vision is good so in time and with patience his time will come. He should get much more minutes his junior year and should be a starter as a senior.

Thinking about JJ, Judah, and Westry all on the court together makes my head spin. Seriously, the frenzy and chaos they should put on the defense should be fun to watch, provided these guys can make a decent percentage from outside to keep 'em honest and Benny/Bell do their thing from deep. Great thing is that Judah started to show that ability towards the end of the season.
I’m looking forward to seeing them dog other guards on defense too. After the last 3-4 years, I can’t wait.

Those old “everybody in the Dome get up and go nuts until we make this key stop and get off to the races going the other way with it” moments were few and far between in recent years - because everyone in the building knew we weren’t actually going to stop anybody when we needed to.

I’m looking forward to seeing them dog other guards on defense too. After the last 3-4 years, I can’t wait.

Those old “everybody in the Dome get up and go nuts until we make this key stop and get off to the races going the other way with it” moments were few and far between in recent years - because everyone in the building knew we weren’t actually going to stop anybody when we needed to.
Right. We might force the miss but then the offensive rebound and putback would be even more emotionally devastating.

Right. We might force the miss but then the offensive rebound and putback would be even more emotionally devastating.
Yup. But I wouldn’t even say we’d “force” the miss. We’d get lucky that they missed a wide open shot sometimes, lol.

Then we’d have to hope we hit a tough shot on the other end.

Would love to be able to impose our will on teams and dictate what kind of game it’s going to be. Getting stops and rebounds is where it starts. Love the potential to have multiple ballhandlers that can get to the basket and pass. Locking down on defense and pushing the tempo…..PLEASE. A lot easier to score when the defense isn’t set!

The minutes situation especially in the last few years as been out of wack. No reason to be playing some of these guys Johnny Flynn like minutes. Hopefully the distribution of minutes will be more well-rounded now that Red is in charge.
I can't find it but I looked up our top players by minutes by year and it wasn't in our heads - we regularly had multiple guys playing significantly more minutes than other programs did.

But yeah, I'm ready for something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom