Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

Don’t be surprised when we have all 4 on the court at once…

You mean cope with Judah/JJ/Westry? I had wondered about that lineup.. just based on seeing Copeland being so aggressive on the boards...

Also wondered if he would be odd man out too though and txfr as 0307 noted...

You mean cope with Judah/JJ/Westry? I had wondered about that lineup.. just based on seeing Copeland being so aggressive on the boards...
Yes and bell and maybe Taylor with Benny

So I think if I look hard enough I have a post before last year saying don’t be surprised if JJ and Chance commit to Cuse…I should not be penalized for their delay!
Just proves your takes age like Bordeaux

I’m picturing Missouri this season but with three borderline five star guards and better defense

Definitely worth taking a Chance-how is he as a shooter? If he can shoot, could be a lot of fun with him JJ and Judah on the court together.

Definitely worth taking a Chance-how is he as a shooter? If he can shoot, could be a lot of fun with him JJ and Judah on the court together.
In HS the report was that he’s good enough to be a threat but his bread and butter was getting into the lane and creating space once there.

He didn’t shoot well at Auburn but hopefully a change of scenery and recovery from his knee bug will bring better fortune.

I wouldn't rule out seeing 4 guards on the floor at the same time and Hima out there with Quadir, Westry, JJ, Judah.

Doesn't make sense for Copeland to leave and not try and get more minutes under Red. He can't possibly feel like any of last years freshmen are blocking him.
Honestly, why would we want Copeland on the floor with the 3 other guards and Hima, instead of Bell/Taylor/Benny? We wouldn’t need his ball handling or defense, and he isn’t a shooter or rebounder. Hima is enough of an offensive weak spot that we don’t need a potential 2nd one out there too. The 5th spot is ideally filled by a shooter and/or glass cleaner, IMO.

I like Copeland’s energy and attitude but he was really not good this year. He’d make so many mistakes in such short periods of time (fouling 3pt shooters, taking wild shots, etc), though much is correctable. He just didn’t look like he had much offensively other than a solid handle and occasional sweet pass. He’s an ideal 4th-5th guard that can get 8-10 minutes a game but I’m not confident he would offer much more.

What confuses me about Copeland was JB saying multiple times he was the best player in practice. Will that guy show up during games?
He also said a number of times that Benny was killing it in practice too - takes time for some players to adjust to game conditions and with different players executing on defense against them in more pressure, competitive situations. Hopefully with more talent on the court for practices, the practices hopefully become more intense, more competitive bringing out the best in all of them fighting and pushing each other for playing time.

None of us have any idea if Cope will pan out. His reflexes are lightning quick but he is out of control and consequently a turnover machine.

My guess is Jaden Bradley if Mintz stays in the draft. But I do think Mintz will ultimately be back.
If Mintz doesn’t return I like Posh Alexander from SJU; a double digit scorer the past 2 years

My guess is Jaden Bradley if Mintz stays in the draft. But I do think Mintz will ultimately be back.

I think If Judah comes back, whatever portal guard we get wouldn’t be a huge difference maker.

I assume Red would start Judah/JJ/Westry all together. That leaves about 20mpg available for the “bench guards” (assuming Judah/JJ each get 30mpg). I don’t think Bradley would happy with that, especially if Copeland is still around.

At the F spots, Westry at the 3 and Benny at the 4. Taylor/Bell would backup the 3. Brown the backup 4.

Westry will also play the 2 some, which gives more PT for Bell/Taylor.

I don’t see a lot of PT that would attract someone like Bradley, assuming Judah is back

If Judah comes back, I doubt Bradley will be an option. If Judah doesn’t comeback, I still think it’s doubtful. He’s not coming to sit.

What's with the slater reaction?
Yea. Is Slater’s reaction about the knee issues? Or the difficult parent/camp that comes along with the kid?

Last edited:
I think If Judah comes back, whatever portal guard we get wouldn’t be a huge difference maker.

I assume Red would start Judah/JJ/Westry all together. That leaves about 20mpg available for the “bench guards” (assuming Judah/JJ each get 30mpg). I don’t think Bradley would happy with that, especially if Copeland is still around.

At the F spots, Westry at the 3 and Benny at the 4. Taylor/Bell would backup the 3. Brown the backup 4.

Westry will also play the 2 some, which gives more PT for Bell/Taylor.

I don’t see a lot of PT that would attract someone like Bradley, assuming Judah is back
I commented that we’d target Bradley if Mintz stays in the draft.

Last edited:
Compare our athleticism to two years ago and it is leaps and bounds better. Compare shooting, leaps and bounds worse. Going to be interesting to see how athleticism plays out over shooting.
The only shooter we lost is Joe, which is admittedly a big loss. But right now we still have Bell and Taylor. And I thought Starling is a good shooter. He certainly was in high school.

I wouldn't rule out seeing 4 guards on the floor at the same time and Hima out there with Quadir, Westry, JJ, Judah.

Doesn't make sense for Copeland to leave and not try and get more minutes under Red. He can't possibly feel like any of last years freshmen are blocking him.

Wait, no more 3 guard lineup, we’re moving to the 4 guard lineup?

Interesting High School scouting report from 247, especially on the shooting aspect of his game:

"A long 6-6 for a multi-positional perimeter player. Has a very slender build and needs to add mass and strength. Has wiggle to his game and body control. Has quick feet and is quick off the floor but is not a high riser nor an explosive athlete in traffic. Is currently a mid 30 percent type three-point shooter. Expected to develop as a shooter. Does not shy away from the big shot. Is crafty in the mid-range as a scorer and a passer. Also has potential as a mismatch post up player. Doesn't have a tight handle but can attack either direction and is adept at changing pace and direction. Actually is most effective driving left. Has a feel for creating separation. Has point guard type vision while attacking. Delivers a timely and accurate pass. Can pursue a rebound but most get stronger to be able to grind out rebounds. Has instincts on defense and is a disruptor. Can guard multiple positions and has quick hands."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom